Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

That sikaflex is very very good stuff. Used by alfas to glue the rear quarter panels on as they dont weld them on some models.

Also very very hard to get off again when its been there for a few years

That's what I'm talking about! The next owner's problem!!

More swag from Schmiedmann - first of two boxes full of gaskets and timing chain guides, etc for Vanos overhaul.

post-3670-0-22667100-1371965196_thumb.jp

Plus Beisan Systems M62tu vanos kit

post-3670-0-82577800-1371965602_thumb.jp

More swag from Schmiedmann

I see what you did there :lol:

I'd sure like some more boxes like that to show up... $$$ though. Mrs back to work next week though B) Only part time however :(

I see what you did there :lol:

I'd sure like some more boxes like that to show up... $$$ though. Mrs back to work next week though B) Only part time however :(

Everything costs $$$s with these cars... But Schmiedmann has made the costs very palatable and I haven't gone crazy. Just stuff the car is in need of.

Have been offered a VF supercharger at a great price though.... Would love to buy it but it's still not cheap and I'm just not sure the divorce is worth it if my better half found out.

Have been offered a VF supercharger at a great price though.... Would love to buy it but it's still not cheap and I'm just not sure the divorce is worth it if my better half found out.

My mate wants one for his 540i Touring.... his Mrs might be a bit upset too....

Perhaps your MRS car needs a very expensive repair she doesn't know about??? wudge wudge, nink nink ;);)

Everything costs $$$s with these cars... But Schmiedmann has made the costs very palatable and I haven't gone crazy. Just stuff the car is in need of.

It's a balancing act! My spending budget is blown til 2020! Hahah

Forced induction 540... Mmm - That'll be a treat! Agree with the "Mrs car needs expensive repairs" - pure genius.

Edited by Tristan

Wow nice job with the dents!!! I am always amazed what these dent guys can get out!! I've actually tried to do this myself in the past and it's lot harder than it looks. I've damaged a panel attempting this myself before on a Honda : P

Glad your Schmeidmann parts arrived all good and well - mine came all damaged, very poor packaging, highly pissed I have to say : ( Now going through the motion of seeing what they want to do about it.

Love how the car's coming along Julian : ) Must come check it out one day ... perhaps get your little man another fluffy : )

My mate wants one for his 540i Touring.... his Mrs might be a bit upset too....

Yep, sometimes it's worth the pain.

Perhaps your MRS car needs a very expensive repair she doesn't know about??? wudge wudge, nink nink ;);)

If only... She has a 2005 Mazda 6 which never ever goes wrong. Not nothing no how never. Bloody clever Japanese cars.

It's a balancing act! My spending budget is blown til 2020! Hahah

You have a 'spending budget'? Lucky bugger. Wait 'til you've got a wife and kids!

Wow nice job with the dents!!! I am always amazed what these dent guys can get out!! I've actually tried to do this myself in the past and it's lot harder than it looks. I've damaged a panel attempting this myself before on a Honda : P

Glad your Schmeidmann parts arrived all good and well - mine came all damaged, very poor packaging, highly pissed I have to say : ( Now going through the motion of seeing what they want to do about it.

Thanks Tom. Bummer about your Schmiedmann stuff. I've bought a fair bit from them and they've always been excellent. Well packaged, really helpful and even splitting orders to ensure they arrive tax free!

Love how the car's coming along Julian : ) Must come check it out one day ... perhaps get your little man another fluffy : )

Yes, do! Coffee and car natter would be great... Maybe a little drive too if the CSL's allowed out ;) Would be great to get some pics of both cars in some cool location too. Edited by jeffbebe

ACS spoiler's on and looks good. Fitment is much better on the 540 than the 528 oddly and the Sikaflex has worked an absolute treat.

Now perfecting the paintwork so it's off to the Glossmaster for a cut and polish. Looks like I'm going to have to repaint the boot lid at some point too as one of the stone chips has rusted to about the size of an old 5 cent piece under the paint. It'll be good as new soon though. Will review the Glossmaster's work when it's all done and dusted... Or should I say polished.

Now perfecting the paintwork so it's off to the Glossmaster for a cut and polish. L

Nice, care to share what service you will go with & what cost it is?

Just saw the results on the FB page. Looks well worth it!

Also interested for this!

That spoiler looks great, mate!

AJ - The Glossmaster - nice bloke. Dropped me back at work after I dropped my car off and pick me up at the end of the day. I went for cut and polish and full touch up - there were some pretty bad and rusting paint chips - for $300. May also repaint the boot lid which has a nasty spot of rust which touch up will only keep it bay for a while, which AJ's quoted at $140 - seems pretty reasonable and he's done a great job with the cut and polish.

Just saw the results on the FB page. Looks well worth it!

Thanks - very happy with it so far and there's still a bit more to do (but I needed my car over the weekend).

Also interested for this!

That spoiler looks great, mate!

Good job so far - I took some pics on my way home - http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=491127

$300! Good price.

Pretty confident AJ will get the paint looking brand new once he's finished. Still got to sand the touch ups and then another final light cut, polish and wax to go. AJ's obsessed with being the best finisher around so he's going all out and, as you say, very reasonable for good as new paint. Don't blame him, if he does a good job it doesn't take long for word to spread. I'm more than happy to recommend him and a lot better finish than Final Touch who I have used previously (still disputing a bill with them because the job was badly done on my 528i).

Figured it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on the paint until I'd fitted the ACS spoiler I nabbed off my old 528. It was a PITA to get it to stick last time round so I decided not to f*ck around with 3M tape or that kind of stuff and went straight to hardcore glues. BMW recommend an adhesive called Betalink but I couldn't a stockist anywhere in NZ and dealers aren't much help on a Sunday if you're not buying a car. Anyway, opted for Sikeflex-227 which I'm assured will work equally well... The proof will be in the pudding, as they say, plus this stuff's black so won't show up at all through the back window.

Cleaned up the glass with some meths, lightly sanded the underside of the spoiler and cleaned with meths too before applying a thin line of sealant about an inch from the edge right the way round. Seemed to be a much better fit than my old car and fitting was pretty straightforward. Used green painter's tape and a bit of cardboard packing to provide a bit of leverage to the tape and parked in my work garage so it can stay dry and cure for 24 hours.

Fingers crossed it'll be rock solid and not fly off as soon as I go over 60kms (as spoiler's affixed with 3M tape are prone to do).

post-1521-0-43645900-1371963811_thumb.jp

Always liked the fairly sublet look of the spoiler on my old car so wanted it on this one. Probably be the last cosmetic mod I do unless I can find a front lip/sword I like that isn't ridiculously over-priced.

So the Sikaflex-227 which allegedly sticks to just about anything... Didn't stick to the spoiler. No problem sticking to the glass but didn't like the paint (even though in the prep instructions it said cleaned (with isopropyl alcohol) paint would be sweet.

Sanded the underside and cleaned before glueing with with Sikaflex again and a few spots of Urethane adhesive to try and make sure.... F'ing spoiler. Way more trouble than it's worth!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Replaced front door gaskets (the ones attached to the body) yesterday. Was very simple - far easier than the online DIYs I found had led me to believe.

post-15830-0-66914600-1379828091.jpg

DIY for anyone that needs it on my project page: http://project540.tumblr.com/post/54216673...ket-replacement

Well done on those gaskets! and good on you for persevering with the roof spoiler

It will be worth it in the end. Really like the look of roof spoilers personally.

Final polish and spoiler has remained stuck... On with the remedial. Gearbox next, then vanos overhaul.

Posted Image

Looks so purrrdy and shiney! You wont want to take it out incase it gets dirty. Loving the rear roof spoiler too, had one on the 328 and now looking for ones for both M3 and touring

Wow. Dat finish :o

Looking outstanding Julian

Ta very much!

Looks so purrrdy and shiney! You wont want to take it out incase it gets dirty. Loving the rear roof spoiler too, had one on the 328 and now looking for ones for both M3 and touring

Thanks, you're not wrong! I usually leave it parked up in my office car park but needed it early this morning so took it home... And the f*cking starlings that live in our roof eaves shat all over the bonnet! Ggggrrr.

Got a couple of packages in the post that made it okay though.

The rest of the gaskets and pieces for Vanos and timing guides overhaul from Schmiedmann plus a secondhand airbag module to replace my intermittently faulty one. Got it $40 from eBay... Way better than the $600+ a new one locally would cost! Now just got to find the time to take it up to Ray for recoding to my VIN and save up for the labour to overhaul Vanos as that's a job I definitely can't do myself!

post-4601-0-37597700-1379923207_thumb.jp

post-4601-0-02210700-1379923190_thumb.jp

Edited by jeffbebe

Man that cut/polish job looks so good, too bad about birds :D. I think I might contact AJ to touch up some of the paint nips around my 530 + get a nice cut and polish. Yours just looks too good!

How big a job is a Vanos overhaul? My Vanos hose is leaking very SLOWLY - don't think i need a full overhaul though. I was thinking the timing guides work is the big/expensive one for those v8s ? Or am I thinking about the wrong thing?

That spoiler looks good, where'd you get it? (Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere ;))

Man that cut/polish job looks so good, too bad about birds :D. I think I might contact AJ to touch up some of the paint nips around my 530 + get a nice cut and polish. Yours just looks too good!

He's excellent, very thorough so it might take a little while but worth the wait. Plus he's reasonably priced.

How big a job is a Vanos overhaul? My Vanos hose is leaking very SLOWLY - don't think i need a full overhaul though. I was thinking the timing guides work is the big/expensive one for those v8s ? Or am I thinking about the wrong thing?

Not a small job and to completely overhaul. You need all sorts of special tools to lock the timing chains in order to replace the seals (yours is dual Vanos right?). I wouldn't do it lightly and a lot of very good mechanics would not recommend doing it unless something was pretty seriously (and obviously) wrong with it. I'm doing it because I'm planning to supercharge and the engine needs to be pretty bulletproof before I even consider it.... Baby steps!

You can check out the procedue here for your car (just so you know how much work this entails!): http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

That spoiler looks good, where'd you get it? (Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere ;))

Thanks. It was on my old car. Pretty certain it's just an aftermarket ACS rep. You can get them on eBay for about $150 painted and shipped (though I'd probably get it painted locally with a white car to ensure the match is perfect).