Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Tell me about Mondeos!

Havent driven the Mazda 6 thats out now, but have had both the mk1 and mk2 generations in the family, have driven both many many times.

The first gen was amazing at the time, on par with anything else in same sector. More than enough power. Given the alternatives of that or a Mk2 Mondeo, i would choose the Mazda only because of the badge on the front, there is no other advantage of one over the other. May even be the same platform, not sure?? Family brought it new in 2003 or so, it still in the family now at 180,000kms and still no big bills i know of.

But having said that, if its in your budget, the Mk2 Mazda 6 is phenominal car, a real step over the one before it, its everything you need like aircon and an awesome stereo, nice command centre, without having to use a )*^(*^ing touchscreen to get to it. If one of those is in your budget, i dont think you could choose a better vehicle of this age and type.

All waaay too expensive guys haha, thanks for the advice though. She is looking at $2-4k at a stretch. Hence the 2nd gen mondeo. But the latest to catch her eye is a Libero 1.8. Any thoughts on these? I know waterpumps can go, and destroy the radiator when they do.

Also, any thoughts on Nissans? Pulsars, Primeras etc? I don't like CVTs but are they really the grenade I think they are?

Oh. That's a restrictive budget.

You said she likes horses, maybe she could just ride one everywhere? That would be awesome and reliable.

All waaay too expensive guys haha, thanks for the advice though. She is looking at $2-4k at a stretch. Hence the 2nd gen mondeo. But the latest to catch her eye is a Libero 1.8. Any thoughts on these? I know waterpumps can go, and destroy the radiator when they do.

Also, any thoughts on Nissans? Pulsars, Primeras etc? I don't like CVTs but are they really the grenade I think they are?

If you're on a budget keep it simple and reliable, maybe the reason a 2nd gen mondeo is in the same price bracket as the japs is because they're simply not worth it.

A good condition libero would be a good idea. As with any car if the water pump loses its vanes the circulation is reduced and will eventually lead to over pressurization and a cracked fitting or header tank, its not specific to the 1.8 libero's. Hell even the royal corolla is susceptible to this lack of maintenance.

Oh. That's a restrictive budget.

You said she likes horses, maybe she could just ride one everywhere? That would be awesome and reliable.

I suggested that. She threatened violence. I'm now cowering in a corner.

If you're on a budget keep it simple and reliable, maybe the reason a 2nd gen mondeo is in the same price bracket as the japs is because they're simply not worth it.

A good condition libero would be a good idea. As with any car if the water pump loses its vanes the circulation is reduced and will eventually lead to over pressurization and a cracked fitting or header tank, its not specific to the 1.8 libero's. Hell even the royal corolla is susceptible to this lack of maintenance.

Fair comment. I'm not sure everyone is thinking of the same second gen that I am, sorry I meant the 2nd gen international, so probably 1st gen kiwi? I don't think we got the actual first one. The ones with the bubble shaped lights and bonnets lol. The one we looked at was a 1997.

My sisters also had issues with the auto g/box but it was just an overdrive switch, that took a gearbox rebuild to diagnose <_< , and I guess that can happen with any auto too.

Havent driven the Mazda 6 thats out now, but have had both the mk1 and mk2 generations in the family, have driven both many many times.

The first gen was amazing at the time, on par with anything else in same sector. More than enough power. Given the alternatives of that or a Mk2 Mondeo, i would choose the Mazda only because of the badge on the front, there is no other advantage of one over the other. May even be the same platform, not sure??

Which Mondeo are you talking about here??, the early ones have no Mazda content at all, the later ones only share engines.

Which Mondeo are you talking about here??, the early ones have no Mazda content at all, the later ones only share engines.

I didn't say they did.

I suggested that. She threatened violence. I'm now cowering in a corner.

Hay, matey? She said neigh to your un-saddle-ing idea, eh? good luck next time, maybe she should try a horse float.

Just lease her the Rover.

Thinking you mean this shape Mondeo, it is essentially the phase 2 Mk1 Mondeo. This one has asjustiz and has a performance intake.

Posted Image

Just lease her the Rover.

Thinking you mean this shape Mondeo, it is essentially the phase 2 Mk1 Mondeo. This one has asjustiz and has a performance intake.

Posted Image

Bet his missus would be over the moon if he came home with that one. Understated.

pretty sure i had a matchbox car of that exact car when i was a kid, probably still got it somewhere

What about a passat? Those are getting very cheap now days and as long as the cambelt has been recently shouldnt be too bad

A few years back, I managed a family rental fleet of about 120 vehicles. We mostly had Nissans, because they were BLAND, reliable, cheap to fix/maintain. They were mostly late 90's early 2000's.

They were always well rust proofed (some were seriously shocking too - especially the bare bones models).

For that money, with the big boot requirement, look for a Nissan Avenir (Ugly as sin, but MASSIVE boot) or a Primera. With the Avenir, get a proper passenger one, NOT a cargo one. The cargo ones have no sway bars etc and handle like a 3 legged cow. They are SR18 or SR20 powered - check for sludgy oil or hard crusty deposits under the rocker cover and camshaft wear as a result (they can seize and snap camshaft from lack of oil changes).

We avoided the CVT's for the reasons you say, but had no proof they were dodgy. We recently got rid of a number of fleet cars at the DHB I now worked at. The CVT primera (the newer weird shaped ones) seemed to have been very reliable (no actual failures, but some were a touch "surgy" under light load moving off). Apparently Hyundai autos are very average, and the Getz autos crap out ALL the time - we only had them (probably 20 or 30 of them) for a couple of years.

The Primera CVT is a bit average in performance, not quite as quick to adjust as the honda ones, but they still go very well.

The thing with autos, is that even a good one can crap out any time you can't really ever be 100% as to their condition... buy a manual ;)

In that budget range, I'd be looking for something like 1998-2001 Corolla liftback bugeye

Like this but find a private seller

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-634866867.htm

I think Rogan is right, you cant beet a Corolla, and if you look after it it will still sell for 3k in three years.

The thing with autos, is that even a good one can crap out any time you can't really ever be 100% as to their condition... buy a manual ;)

Yup, have bee bitten by a automatic and would never go back, have been driving this new Ford Focus with the double clutch and that scares me enough, the car is near new and the gearbox is retarded, going to be expensive to fix these in a few years.

How many more years will we have the option of a manual?

Was thinking I would rather drive a POS with a manual than a much nicer car with an Auto.

Was thinking I would rather drive a POS with a manual than a much nicer car with an Auto.

Agreed. I'm too tight to pay for auto repairs, and I can do a manual box myself :)

No, family members car, its a good car with a strange gearbox, would be way better with a manual.

My brother is selling his Primera wagon.

I think he was going to let it go for $3650 which is pretty bloody cheap.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-639498359.htm

I don't think you're going to find any better than this TBH.

We've been running a Honda Orthia for a while. They're economical, and have a surprising amount of space. Ours had some lowering springs in it and it handled quite well until the shocks called enough. You could easily find an auto within your budget, but the manuals are much rarer (although much nicer to drive)

Ended up with a 04 Nissan Sunny with 141kms. Seems like a pretty good deal, and it was in her price range :D. Pretty bland but I don't have to drive it!

The MK2's (second generation) are rubbish IMO and I wouldn't touch one, MK3 is where you need to be (2001 on) I had one years back and it was a good car to us.

Guest cortez

The mondeo is a great car petrol or diesel depends how you drive .have had mk 3 mk 4 which we still have (3yrs) and no problems.

good safe car 7 bags ,esc, blueteeth blaa blaa blaa etc the missus likes hers I don't drive very often it though I drive the bm .

good luck

great first post ! welcome to bimmersport!