_ethrty-Andy_

Official Tools for Hire Thread

On 8/27/2014 at 2:05 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

EthrtyAndy (Andy) - Carsoft - Wellington, can Ship

Hi @_ethrty-Andy_,

I have just bought a used BMW 523i 2013 and it gives me Drivetrain drive moderately error. It only kicks in when it goes over 80kmph not sure what the reasons are but It doesn’t have any other symptoms like car shaking etc. 

I was wondering if you could lend me your obd2 scanner (and a hand too?) to understand what’s the issue at hand.. if it’s spark plug, ignition coil, fuel pump, or something else. 

Edited by nikhil_b

On 10/21/2022 at 11:06 AM, Spinner99 said:

Yep - I have this cup set I used to do the rear bushings on my E46 Touring a few years ago.  I'm assuming that's the car you want it for?  It weighs about 5kg (for shipping purposes)

IMG_20221021_1057033.jpg

Damn would of been keen for that. Is it just for the RTAB or does it do the other bushings as well?

Ended up biting the bullet and buying my own one so will see how that goes for now. Cheers for the offer though hopefully someone else might be able to use them in the future.

IMG_1671.thumb.JPG.e37f5ddf24fab336500f5782a496dc0e.JPG

5 hours ago, Hazzy said:

Damn would of been keen for that. Is it just for the RTAB or does it do the other bushings as well?

Ended up biting the bullet and buying my own one so will see how that goes for now. Cheers for the offer though hopefully someone else might be able to use them in the future.

That's an interesting looking contraption!  Yeah I used the cups to do a few bushings.  On this diagram https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AW33-USA-09-2000-E46-BMW-325i&diagId=33_0840 I think I did 2, 3 and 4 using the cups (basically all the wheel side ones I could get to).  I purchased the inner wishbone bushings too but put that in the too hard basket at the time (6 and 14 I think they were). I've still got those parts lying around too.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, nikhil_b said:

Hi @_ethrty-Andy_,

I have just bought a used BMW 523i 2013 and it gives me Drivetrain drive moderately error. It only kicks in when it goes over 80kmph not sure what the reasons are but It doesn’t have any other symptoms like car shaking etc. 

I was wondering if you could lend me your obd2 scanner (and a hand too?) to understand what’s the issue at hand.. if it’s spark plug, ignition coil, fuel pump, or something else. 

Hi Nik,

Did you buy it from a dealer? If so you can just take it back under the Consumer Guarantees Act and ask them to sort the issue.

5 hours ago, Hazzy said:

That looks pretty solid and heavy duty, hopefully does the job. Just make sure you pack that thrust bearing and the main threads with lots of grease.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

That looks pretty solid and heavy duty, hopefully does the job. Just make sure you pack that thrust bearing and the main threads with lots of grease.

Yep thats the plan. It didn't actually come with the thrust bearing but I figured adding one wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Spinner99 said:

Hi Nik,

Did you buy it from a dealer? If so you can just take it back under the Consumer Guarantees Act and ask them to sort the issue.

Thank you Spinner. No, I bought it privately so can't really go back. 

The drivetrain error only kicks in when the car goes beyond 80km speed. And even after that, the car runs fine with no strange noises. 

1 hour ago, nikhil_b said:

Thank you Spinner. No, I bought it privately so can't really go back. 

The drivetrain error only kicks in when the car goes beyond 80km speed. And even after that, the car runs fine with no strange noises. 

Bugger.  I have a code reader if you need a hand to see if there are any fault codes that might indicate what the issue is.  Send me a PM if you want a hand.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Spinner99 said:

Bugger.  I have a code reader if you need a hand to see if there are any fault codes that might indicate what the issue is.  Send me a PM if you want a hand.

I got it scanned today at supercheapauto but no engine or transmission errors but some random ones. Happy to send it across if someone could decipher them for me. :)

On 10/29/2022 at 10:12 PM, nikhil_b said:

I got it scanned today at supercheapauto but no engine or transmission errors but some random ones. Happy to send it across if someone could decipher them for me. :)

Feel free to start a thread with your trouble codes.  Do you know what scanner were they using?  I don't know but I do see on other forums people suggesting some scanners don't read all specific BMW codes.  I'm still happy to plug mine into your car if you want a second opinion. 

Have a few special tools I'm happy to lend out locally. I'm Christchurch based. 

• A set of punches used to install new detents and shifter pins on a 5-speed ZF S5D 310/320 gearbox.

20220909_213723.thumb.jpg.e6568d37cec0f72f54473aa07e9ed9c7.jpg

• Timing tool kit for an M54 engine (also works for M52's, apparently). Won't be available until after I'm done assembling my engine which will hopefully be in the next month or two. 

-20016546061617493841.thumb.jpg.d86e41c35cce2a5f18ceab6eca8d097e.jpg

• Also have a laptop set up with PA Soft BMW Scanner, INPA, NCS etc. Happy to help out with the occasional scan or minor coding. Still learning and exploring all the capabilities so will be getting more dangerous with time. 
Edited by Vass
Location added
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, I'm after a few tools for N47. I'd hugely appreciate any leads on where I could source/borrow them. 

-compression testing adapter

-leakdown test kit

-timing gear tools

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Cammsport

Have now finished with my E46 RTAB tool, if anyone else needs to borrow it can probably ship it to them or pick up from Queenstown.

IMG_1671.JPG.d34e7a2019fd8da67f4e573afb70c490.JPG

Edited by Hazzy
  • Like 2

Does anyone in Auckland have a basic paintless dent repair kit that I could borrow? I want to try and pull out a dent on a refrigerator door. 

Aiming for something simple like this Ali one, at <$20 I'll probably pull the trigger on it if there's nothing similar available locally.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004590852472.html

TIA.

Does anyone have a diesel compression tester I could borrow? I have the glow plug fitting, ideally just need the gauge and hose. Thanks I advance! 

On 10/21/2022 at 11:06 AM, Spinner99 said:

Yep - I have this cup set I used to do the rear bushings on my E46 Touring a few years ago.  I'm assuming that's the car you want it for?  It weighs about 5kg (for shipping purposes)

IMG_20221021_1057033.jpg

Hi,  woukd this tool also be used for pressing out e46 rear wheel bearings?

Or any suggestions on a tool kit online that will do the job?

Cheers 

10 hours ago, Chanderpaul said:

Hi,  woukd this tool also be used for pressing out e46 rear wheel bearings?

Or any suggestions on a tool kit online that will do the job?

Cheers 

https://salelink.co.nz/collections/car-parts-accessories/products/23pcs-front-wheel-drive-bearing-removal-tool-kit

Similar kit to what i use along with a hammer for removal. Getting the axle out can be bigger issue, then you need heater and a big puller. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eagle said:

https://salelink.co.nz/collections/car-parts-accessories/products/23pcs-front-wheel-drive-bearing-removal-tool-kit

Similar kit to what i use along with a hammer for removal. Getting the axle out can be bigger issue, then you need heater and a big puller. 

Hi Eagle.  Thanks for the tip!  I've got access to a heat gun and blow torch and random workshop stuff that will hopefully come in handy if I run into trouble getting the axle out.  Cheers

Anyone in Wellington / Hutt got a CTEK battery charger I could borrow? Happy to supply cash / 🍺 in exchange