Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Proposed speed limit changes...

So that means with tolerance we could do ~120kph down the faster safe roads?

The best cruising speed imo.

Basically the same as the UK. 110 is a shade under the 70mph limit on UK motorways and dual carriageways. A lot of UK cities now have 20mph speed limits on CBD streets.

Agree, its about time the speed limit and tolerances are reviewed.

Sounds good .. but I would prefer some sort of guideline with regards to overtaking. I just did a trip out to the Coromandel from Auckland, and there are many drivers out there who drive very slow through corners and blind straights etc (i.e. everywhere you can't pass) and then when you hit any sort of passing opportunity, they gun it back to 100/110. which means you are stuck behind them unless you break the speed limit.

Very frustrating to be behind someone like that. Usually I would prefer to pull over and waste some time instead of getting held up like that.

Sounds good .. but I would prefer some sort of guideline with regards to overtaking. I just did a trip out to the Coromandel from Auckland, and there are many drivers out there who drive very slow through corners and blind straights etc (i.e. everywhere you can't pass) and then when you hit any sort of passing opportunity, they gun it back to 100/110. which means you are stuck behind them unless you break the speed limit.

Very frustrating to be behind someone like that. Usually I would prefer to pull over and waste some time instead of getting held up like that.

+1 just like how people bum along at 85 then you get to a passing lane and they speed up to 110?

But what could they do about this? Really it comes down to etiquette and it seems many drivers lack the common courtesy.

I love it when the say computer enhanced ... when its just some noob in mspaint who shouldnt do image manupulation. Just because you can use the tool doesnt mean you should inflick your skills on the public.

+1 just like how people bum along at 85 then you get to a passing lane and they speed up to 110?

But what could they do about this? Really it comes down to etiquette and it seems many drivers lack the common courtesy.

These days I just blast past those people. A wee technique is using satnav to work out where the straights are when they come up, suddenly the muppet in front isnt quite ready to speed up again and you just pop in a quick clean overtake and usaully at legal speeds.
Press the cruise control button and use the GPS again to sit on a true 100kph and keep it that way through the corners. They quickly fade away in the mirror as they release they chose the cheaper option in tires when it came to replacements.

This is a good move - About time dynamic speed limits were applied.

Not sure if general public can handle it. They have trouble handling Queen Street (30k), Ponsonby Road (40k), school zones, road works limits as they are.

It will probably be 4k tolerance on the 110k stretches, sadly hardly any part of the motorway inside Auckland will be 110 capable (maybe the Hobsonville to Albany and the new part of the Western SH16/20 extension)

• Like 1

Not everyone drives a bmw that can sit on or above the speed limit.

I have a work van ,i'd love to do 110k but its to scrary with wind from the side or when a big truck passes headon.

and im pretty sure that its not on all the open roads just a select few.

It's on a few roads. Waikato Expressway is one that has been mentioned.

thats a shame because sh20 is a very new road and IMO can handle an increased speed limit. hypothetically a stock bmw is able to drive 130 to 140 kmh without breaking a sweat. however for the general public and shitboxes, even a pace of 110-120 would be fine ..

its only the big open dual laners like waikato express way and northern toll rd, which are great bits of road.

Plus make it illegal to do less than 110klm in the right lane!! .. AKA the BMW lane.

Edited by FRT
  • Like 1

Plus make it illegal to do less than 110klm in the right lane!! .. AKA the BMW lane.

Dunno about that specifically, but make it a bookable offence to drive in the outside lane at 90 when there's nothing in the left lane. Enforce those 'Keep left unless passing' instructions.

• Like 4

All in all a positive proposition. Current speed limits were designed around the cars of the day. Albeit more cars and people about I think it's time to increase the limits especially on areas with good visibility and fail safes such as median barriers which decrease or diminish the possibility of head on collisions.

i dont see the point with 110, all that money spent with beurocrats, surely 120km/h would have been fine?

i guess they are concerned about crap tyres and vehicles that arent safe at 100 let alone 1x0. My Bongo i used to have to daily would be very dodgy to do 100km/h, my Hiace now is much better, but takes a long time to come to a stop even when empty. a lot of variables i guess

i dont see the point with 110, all that money spent with beurocrats,

Cause it's a smoke screen for decreasing the rest of the limits. That's what it all about.

quote name="_Ethrty-Andy_" post="547216" timestamp="1411038273"]i dont see the point with 110, all that money spent with beurocrats, surely 120km/h would have been fine?

i guess they are concerned about crap tyres and vehicles that arent safe at 100 let alone 1x0. My Bongo i used to have to daily would be very dodgy to do 100km/h, my Hiace now is much better, but takes a long time to come to a stop even when empty. a lot of variables i guess

Sonny

I remember when the speed limit was 60mph and my ford 10 loved it.(took a bit time to get there)

You kids today are such pussies :)

• Like 1