Sign in to follow this  
Bigmor

Long life oil

Stopped into my local BMW garage to see about a service and they told me it is not due for 18000km...I have done 7000km in it since last change. They started talking about long life oil and only having to do an oil change every 25,000kms, which just seems ridiculously long intervals considering the engine (N54) and that they have a tendency to run hot (From the Internet, I don't have a temp. gauge operating). I am also used to historically doing every 10,000kms of the dot with previous cars.

Is 25,000kms a real or are they just making service cost more reasonable, as I didn't think fully synthetic oil lasted 25,000km - and at a push I could stretch it to 15,000kms?

Love to hear people's thoughts and experiences?

We recommend 15,000 or every 12 months after the vehicle is 3 years old

• Like 1

I think it's a silly interval on the n54 - with me running a tune and track days , I'm changing mine every 5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i will always stick to 10,000km on an NA car and 5000km on a turbo car. Engine oil these days is subjected to some intense conditions and breaks down over time, its cheap insurance and means the engine will be cleaner and operate better for longer.

Would be interesting to compare two engines, in the same conditions, the same ages but one run with long life intervals and the other on shorter intervals. Run them for 10 years and see what the insides are like.

Its like a manufacturer (Audi?) is now looking to start bringing out cars with lifetime service intervals.... where the oil in the engine lasts as long as the expected lifespan of the car (which has not been specified, but i bet its short). Much like lifetime trans fluid in BMWs, we know how that works out.

• Like 2

15K is perfectly adequate with 6.5 litres of good oil in it.

It would be very interesting to see...what the difference would be. I could imagine 25,000km engine would be looking worst by far, but I guess they expect you to upgrade to a new version before its a problem.

I am thinking of sticking to 10,000km services with fully synthetic oil and see how that goes. I think that is a good compromise at this stage and if I do any modifications to the engine, then I might start doing them earlier.

25000km sounds way too high.

I do my oil + filter every 8000-10000km, and I have a non-turbo (M54).

You can have your oil tested, it would be interesting to see after 25k. You take a small sample they analyse it for wear, carbon, water, fuel contamination etc etc

Thats how they know to change oil on big engines esp diesels, like trucks, heavy marine or large power system generators.

Mate works in that industry, recons that oil even tho it may look like dirty brown pooh still may be perfectly functional and have all the wear protection you need for a particular application.

Test probably costs more than an oil change tho he he.

• Like 1

Trying to find my report from the M3 , report at the end of 25,000 km was fine, oil was still within spec and metals contained within the oil was low.

Manufacturers suggest the intervals for a reason. I'd only change more frequently if doing lots of track days.

Manufacturers suggest the intervals for a reason.

I wouldnt use that as a reason to change my oil late.... theres a few reasons manufacturers are jumping on this stupid bandwagon, one is the beancounters, the other is trying to entice new customers to buy their cars because it will cost them less for servicing.

One point that is being over-looked is the fact that BMWs run "on condition based servicing" not a fixed interval. 25,000kms of long trips and hot running is very different to the same distance of very short trips where then engine never gets warm.

I should go back through my records to see how far the "25,000kms" interval gas worked out over the last 3 services as I have done it when the cluster has said, and used the proper LL01 oil.

Yes correct, the oil change indicator for heavy diesel motors I put in my earlier post is that the oil changes directly correspond to total fuel load over a given period.

So say change oil every 2500 liters of fuel used.

I'm guessing that's what the old oil service lights worked off on the E30,E36etc.

Yes correct, the oil change indicator for heavy diesel motors I put in my earlier post is that the oil changes directly correspond to total fuel load over a given period.

So say change oil every 2500 liters of fuel used.

I'm guessing that's what the old oil service lights worked off on the E30,E36etc.

I'd not considered that.

The service indicator on the 320d suggests over 13000 miles between services. Not a chance - I'd never have it go that long. Maybe half that but no more (bearing in mind most of the use is on the motorway), and then only because I use good oil.

• Like 1

Gidday there gents.

Would anyone have recommendations or suggestions on a good grade of Castrol oil for my 545I E60 please?

Thanks in advance.

Agree with 3pedals.

My VW Polo turbo diesel, 315000km with interval of 15000km, 4.5 L of oil per change. Mechanic opened the valve cover up recently and it is spotless inside.

Unless it's tuned or tracked, factory interval is acceptable. Otherwise, we would have seen a class action suit of the the US long time ago.

Putting the right grade of oil, and a good quality oil, into the engine in the first place is much more important IMHO.

Changing it every 5,000kms and putting cheap crap in it is going to do more damage than running for 25,000kms on the right stuff.

3pedals point about contaminants in the oil is a good one though, issues elsewhere can cause problems with the engine oil, so it's always a good idea to keep a close eye on it during those 25,000kms.

synthetic oil is the only way to get 25000 k intervals.Synthetic oils have far better properties than dino oils.They cant be compared.And most BMWs have at least 50 percent more oild than most cars.That alone points to a 50 percent longer interval.I serviced the 120d by the service indicatoer Mostly longer runs (25 k each way,and little stop start thes service indicator normally ran down from about 17000 k.It didnt burn or use any oil over the 60 ks that i had it.

Edited by kiwi535