Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Where to buy well priced cars these days?

Just wasted a couple of hours at Turners trying to buy the missus a new car.. end result was that they cost the same there as they do on TM and only marginally cheaper than a dealership.

So.

Where are the bargains at these days? Are there Auctions for dealers or people with cash? There must be as there is literally nothing on the bone if you buy at Turners.

• Like 1

what kind of vehicle are you looking for? usually the best deals are genuine private sellers who are either leaving the country or need cash asap.

turners is really a hit or miss kind of thing these days i think. lots of duds and if you find a good one they usually go up quite a bit in price.

Yes. It was time consuming and the well priced cars seem to sell on "Turners online" for too much as the bidders are not aware of the cars true condition.

Looking to spend 10k on something medium sized, asian with a tow ball. Nothing flash or sexy, just something reliable that she will get 10years out of and slowly run into the ground.. a non enthusiast you would say.

Hyundai seem to be the best value vs Japanese brands.

If anyone knows of a good hook up looking for a quick cash sale let me know.

depends how old a car you're looking for. But I spotted a 2004 1 owner Honda accord euro 40000km, nz new. $9900. Theyre an excellent car

Car Fairs - if you can be bothered to haggle and are confident you can spot a lemon before buying it.

Wave a wad of cash at the sellers and there can be good deals to be done.

Might be a bit below your price bracket though, you never know?

• Like 2

the real bargains are Facebook, Hustlelive, onlinegaragesale etc people dont want to pay the fees of trademe

If you talk to a good helpful cardealer they possibly will look out for one from their midweek dealer only auctions, and they also do a lot of internal buying and swopping because cars are stale on the lot.

also they seem to have good access to stocks in wharehouses I was completely unaware of as joe public. Might be the case of finding the right guy and actually asking them for help. Someone on here must know someone in the trade in your area

Edited by kwhelan

Thanks, yes, I have lost touch over the years as to who to speak to and where to go, I used to buy a car at Turners or off randoms every six months, clean them up and drive it around for a while before selling on TM for a profit..

Need something in the next couple of weeks. Have asked a few mates in the industry what they have floating around.

As late model as possible, preferably NZ new with a tow bar. Looking at whats out there the 2010 Ford Mondeo is a real bargain but I don't think its a car that would last long without preventive maintenance, we are dealing with a non enthusiast here who will not service the car as we would, so a basic Japer would be ideal.

wait what .... graham has a missus? ... that tinder time working out huh? haha you dont have to answer that btw on the public forum :D.

Give the 'high and dry' s a miss they wont last 10 years

Go for a Mondeo drive decent , reasonable to own and shitloads around for choice

That's debatable. There would be more Hyundai's around our way than Mondeo's, yet we would see more Mondeo's in the workshop for various reasons.

Not that I have ever been a "high & dry" fan at all in the past, they have certainly stepped up their game in recent years.

Not arguing as to which is a better drive.

Yeah I also missed everything you posted after reading "for the missus"

I think Turners can be cheap, I bought a 96 318is Coupe that was pretty tidy for $1010

Don't get me started on how cars drive, honestly, this means nothing to her, she rated the 2014 i20 she is driving as the best car she has ever driven, so there is the benchmark, and I have driven it, its all sorts of sin.

Mondeo's are great to drive, in fact, if you fitted some decent 235's to one I actually think it would leave some "enthusiast" cars behind, the diesel is a banger! And they are HUGE! Banging SONY stereo, I like them. But Euro Fords don't have the best name in longevity... in saying that, nor do Renaults and they are the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

Not really my missus, lady friend with benefits who is mates with my mates who knows zero about cars... if she didn't know anyone I knew I would tell her to buy a BMW, that way when we break up I get the last laugh.

• Like 1