Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

Cops and the 4 kmh over posted speed limits

and banning kids. Should lock them in the tray of utes instead of letting them in cars, f**k they must be a distraction. seen too many distracted drivers lately thanks to rowdy little shits.

• Like 1

and banning kids. Should lock them in the tray of utes instead of letting them in cars, f**k they must be a distraction. seen too many distracted drivers lately thanks to rowdy little shits.

And dogs. Saw a woman in a Micra (or similar) swerving all over the place at 70-80km/h while her dog was trying to lick her face.

And dogs. Saw a woman in a Micra (or similar) swerving all over the place at 70-80km/h while her dog was trying to lick her face.

So it was not a lap dog than.

• Like 4

IMO, the problem is not speed. The problem is muppet drivers who make me question how they tie their shoelaces let alone drive a car.

See it everyday, people in their appliance cars, dreaming in their own world oblivious to anyone else on the road around them. Doesn't matter whether they're driving fast or slow they are straight up terrible. It's as if they somehow forgot they're in a car, and are supposed to be driving it.

I can now predict what's going to happen at most giveways and roundabouts around town here as more often than not If I wasn't paying attention, the other car would have taken me out.

Friends XR8 got written off a few months back by some chick who failed to see he was stopped, giving way and turning into a street, instead of going around him she just drove straight into the back of him.

I seriously believe the average "driving IQ" is in a sharp decline.

• Like 3

People also forget the simple fact that they are piloting a 1-2 Ton steel missile.

• Like 1

Especially when the speed limit itself is an arbitrary number, and not one based on any sort of scientific (or other) investigation.

Exactly...100km/hr is just a rectum-reach number.

IMO, the problem is not speed. The problem is muppet drivers who make me question how they tie their shoelaces let alone drive a car.

Agree 100% with this, there are so many numpties out there it's unbelievable.

Unfortunately holiday season brings them all out of their home cities, and onto the open road.

• Like 1

Furtherest I've driven this holidays so far... about 30 kms, and only 5 was on a state highway B)

And then there is this, http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/75524974/waikatos-top-cop-held-up-by-slow-driver-enjoying-the-sun

The article doesnt say, but i sure hope that the driver got slapped with a fine and demerits, just like a speeding driver would.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

And then there is this, http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/75524974/waikatos-top-cop-held-up-by-slow-driver-enjoying-the-sun

The article doesnt say, but i sure hope that the driver got slapped with a fine and demerits, just like a speeding driver would.

Read that and thought to myself 'what on Earth were the drivers immediately behind him doing?' - After about 1km I'd 1st put my lights on high, 2nd sit on my horn, 3rd overtake him and motion him to pull over, 4th give him a piece of my mind.

I might have thought to dial *555 somewhere in there too.

Drivers blindly following a fool like this are just as culpable.

Keep up!

He's not speeding, so poses no danger at all! Haven't you been llistening??? ;)

I bet he's entirely aware of everything going on around him, and would even be capable of avoiding other vehicles and is always aware of his speed, even when not looking at the speedo... yeah right!

Read that and thought to myself 'what on Earth were the drivers immediately behind him doing?' - After about 1km I'd 1st put my lights on high, 2nd sit on my horn, 3rd overtake him and motion him to pull over, 4th give him a piece of my mind.

Whats to say a bunch of people had not already passed him, but the other may not have be capable? (either due to unsafe roading, or towing trailers etc) It mentions he didnt check his mirrors, so he is probably one of those people with broken exterior mirrors and an interior mirror pointing an odd direction. Music up (or headphones on), and not looking at his mirrors, and it wouldnt matter what you are doing behind him.

Whats to say a bunch of people had not already passed him, but the other may not have be capable? (either due to unsafe roading, or towing trailers etc) It mentions he didnt check his mirrors, so he is probably one of those people with broken exterior mirrors and an interior mirror pointing an odd direction. Music up (or headphones on), and not looking at his mirrors, and it wouldnt matter what you are doing behind him.

Driving without due care and attention. Is that an offence in NZ? He's admitted to it when stopped.

Probably, but if he wasnt ticketed for going too slow and impeding traffic (which is an offence), its sadly a moot point.

• Like 1

It was on the road from waihi to whangamata wasn't it? Not many places to pass there.

Can't us a sledge hammer approach (speed limits) on a larger problem it doesn't work. Their are many good points made in this thread and these are just a few of the issues which contribute to the appalling standard of driving and road conditions in this country. Start with the mentality of most of the driving public and get it cleaned up next a roading system which can more than handle the traffic volume that are present not one for the 70 or 80's which we have now. Then their may be a light at the end of this problem I said maybe. About as likely as seeing pink pigs fly by i know on a more cheerful note have a Happy and safe New year guys and gales

• Like 1

This is quite long, but worth a read: http://revenueraiserresistance.com/camera-swindle/

It backs up research done at the TRL (Transport Research Laboratory) in the UK, and several locations in the US.

I doubt it'll make any difference, but it is staggering to learn authorities are forecasting revenue from speeding fines and incorporating them in future budgetary projections!

Can't let the real world get in the way of revenue raising, eh?

• Like 1

It's only long for the illiterate folk Graham ;) and it does make a good read.

A salient quote...

A major concern of mine is the extremely small tolerance afforded by covert speed cameras on our faster roads. Seven kilometres-per-hour over a 110 kph limit is insignificant, especially if you’re the only vehicle travelling on a dual-carriageway such as the Brand or Forrest Highways, yet you can expect a $100 fine should you get caught.

I know England is not the be-all-and-end-all of road safety, but on major roads and motorways the speed limit is 70 mph, i.e. 113 kph. Not much difference; however, the average speed on a flowing UK motorway is between 80 and 90 mph (129 to 145 kph) and the police won’t bother you, if you’re driving safely and to the conditions, until you exceed 85 mph (137 kph).
  • Like 1

It's only long for the illiterate folk Graham ;) and it does make a good read.

A salient quote...

A major concern of mine is the extremely small tolerance afforded by covert speed cameras on our faster roads. Seven kilometres-per-hour over a 110 kph limit is insignificant, especially if you’re the only vehicle travelling on a dual-carriageway such as the Brand or Forrest Highways, yet you can expect a $100 fine should you get caught.

I know England is not the be-all-and-end-all of road safety, but on major roads and motorways the speed limit is 70 mph, i.e. 113 kph. Not much difference; however, the average speed on a flowing UK motorway is between 80 and 90 mph (129 to 145 kph) and the police won’t bother you, if you’re driving safely and to the conditions, until you exceed 85 mph (137 kph).

In the UK, the focus is on keeping traffic moving smoothly. No harm, no foul. (Over 85mph constitutes harm.) You may be stopped for speeds in excess of 70-75mph (in a 70mph limit), but typically you'll get a good talking to from the traffic police and sent on your way. As far as I know, if you're stopped over here, you are ticketed and fined - no officer discretion is allowed. In itself, that's sheer lunacy.

Why aren't speed limits higher here? I've heard excuses like 'the roads aren't up to it.' Well, build some decent roads then, instead of scraping squirting some tar, and throwing some chippings down. Not all roads are equal - good highways could easily accommodate 70mph+ (110km/h+) or more. Many secondary roads ought not have a 100km/h limit, yet there it is.

There's no rhyme or reason to speed limits, or their monitoring, in NZ, other than the revenue raising aspect. Improving driver ability costs money and doesn't provide income.

So the only solution is to charge motorists, one way or another, more, so that income can be increased. It has *nothing*, or very little, to do with safety.

i have heard their is a school of thought within the powers that be that they DONT WANT drivers to be taught to drive properly,because that willlead to more speed.The focus on speed is because it is directly ,quickly ,and easily read .No interpretation or arguments are required.most other misdeameanours are less clear cut..

i now always travel with a gps and set my cruise to 102...I pass just about everyone.If i decide to pass i do so with little regrd to the speed limit.Its safer.

I cannot comprehend the lack of anticipation shown by a lot of drivers.I can see an accident developing and often dont see any brake lights or reaction until the absolute last minute.Its not just holidays either .I see it every morning on sh2

• Like 3

This morning, a police motorcyclist was parked hidden by one of the bridge piers on SH1, northbound, between Alfriston and the Manukau exit.

I thought the role of the police was to prevent crime, not catch someone who had just committed an offence?

• Like 1

why cant they implement something like an average speed/time traps instead? they have it in Aus.

from my understanding of it is, 1 camera at the beginning of a section (i.e. a 5km stretch of road) and 1 at the end. the system takes photo of your car at the beginning and at the end of the section and calculates how long it took you to do the 5km section. if it calculates you were speeding then you get a ticket.

i have heard their is a school of thought within the powers that be that they DONT WANT drivers to be taught to drive properly,because that willlead to more speed.

Yup, the tutor at the defensive driver course I went to said the same thing. Something like the AA used to train people how to drive on race tracks but then because those people knew their own/cars limits they would have much more confidence on the road resulting in them speeding, pushing their cars etc

why cant they implement something like an average speed/time traps instead? they have it in Aus.

from my understanding of it is, 1 camera at the beginning of a section (i.e. a 5km stretch of road) and 1 at the end. the system takes photo of your car at the beginning and at the end of the section and calculates how long it took you to do the 5km section. if it calculates you were speeding then you get a ticket.

If they can't be bothered turning up when you get robbed or burgled why have cops with bloody cameras. Perhaps the cops need to be told we want them investigating real crime not revenue gathering. Burglars know they have a 95% chance of not being caught because they know they won't even be investigated.