Sign in to follow this  
tawa

E36 ECU/DME/EWS options

Hey folks, I've done a wee bit of research, but finding lots of information overload on this subject.

Basically what I want is to do get the car running like a factory manual (it's an auto conversion with TCM delete), and remove the EWS so I can do keyless start; plus a bit more of a sporty tune (chipped etc) for now; but also have the upgradeability if I get the engine bored out a bit or FI or whatever...

Is there a standout option here? is it even doable as a drop in DME replacement job or is there a shitload of wiring etc to do (car is pre OBDII).

Haltech or similar?

E36 ecu is remappable. Ews easily disabled also.

Otherwise pretty sure link do a plugin ecu for the e36

• Like 1

Megasquirt is a good option too. Better priced and equally as functional as Link

Go straight through DIYautotune, the local reseller places a heavy markup and dent seem to offer anything beyond V2 hardware

Edited by Ahmedsinc

E36 ecu is remappable. Ews easily disabled also.

Otherwise pretty sure link do a plugin ecu for the e36

Link only do them for the Bosch ecu'd cars

Link only do them for the Bosch ecu'd cars

No support for the M52/54? Surprising!

Hmmm, sounds like I need to double check what's in it atm, and if it's remapable. Is there an easy way to tell? DME part number cross reference? INPA check?

Mid May for me, so guessing non-programmable.

Will either pull it out and the physical serial number, or read some sh*t off INPA/DIS next time I'm near either of those things then.

Cheers for your help.

All are programmable, just the method changes. EG earlier ECUs changing chips to UV erasable socket PSOP44 etc. The rest support true Flash RAM and are programmable over the ADS interface.

MS42 and variants are a bitch, a lot of us have tried to find the EWS locations but its not an easy one. Its doable, just not in the public domain yet.

Have had far more luck fully disassembling my MSS50 ecu, which is strange as its architecturally more complicated.

Just please dont go buying chips off ebay lol.

All are programmable, just the method changes. EG earlier ECUs changing chips to UV erasable socket PSOP44 etc. The rest support true Flash RAM and are programmable over the ADS interface.

MS42 and variants are a bitch, a lot of us have tried to find the EWS locations but its not an easy one. Its doable, just not in the public domain yet.

Have had far more luck fully disassembling my MSS50 ecu, which is strange as its architecturally more complicated.

E36 would all be ms41.x wouldn't it? In which case ews etc isn't a problem.

Just replace it with a later model ms41 that is flashable, easier and cheaper.

• Like 1

That's what I am reading - and recoding them to the car appears to be straight forward , seems to be quite a few offering a recoding services with DME for reasonable dosh except here in NZ ?

Any one aware of any one local who can do it and re map at reasonable money.

Have you spoken to Gavin at High Velocity Ron ?

PM the details of the ECU including photos of the VIN sticker and VIN of what your looking to put it into.. it gets fairly critical with e36 on what year/month ECU you use if you want it to work with EWS.

Pm me if you want (now I'm able to get back into the forums) as working through chip tuning mine (MS41), have most of the software here, and have also just done a manual conversion so in the process of reflashing the cluster to make the car think it's manual. There's a bit of a process but there's one key piece of software that will make your life easier.

Look into getting a RED label BOSCH 413 DME (if you have single vanos). That DME has got no EWS from factory and is for OBD1 engines. I am running an M52b28 with an M50 loom and red 413 dme. Also the Red 413 DME can have performance chips added such as the shark chip, as mine has. RED 413 DME's came in pre 95 325i's I believe, alltho make sure it is a red sticker as the silver 413 may have ews 1.0.

On 6/07/2016 at 6:21 PM, 3pedals said:

Josh, Can't PM you - says you can't receive any more PM's

ahh sorry about that .. will delete some stuff.

Also been away fromt he site recently so kinda missed replying this thread :(

On 7/5/2016 at 5:05 AM, *Glenn* said:

Have you spoken to Gavin at High Velocity Ron ?

I spoke to Gavin today. 800 for a full tune including a couple of hours of dyno time 

I got around to checking what DME I have, MS41.0 Silver label by the looks.

To reiterate, basically what I want is to do get the car running like a factory manual (it's an auto conversion with TCM delete), and remove the EWS so I can do keyless start; plus a bit more of a sporty tune (chipped etc) for now; but also have the upgradeability if I get the engine bored out a bit or FI or whatever...

Looking around the net seem to give both answer to every question, is the current one flashable? yes/no, will a new one f**k everything up because of EWSII? again it's a yes/no, will a new one even be flashable in a non OBD2 car? etc etc.

I'm currently looking into getting a red label 413 DME as I wish to delete EWS anyway, but would still need to figure out how to program that up...

161119-IMG_20161119_174523.jpg

161119-IMG_20161119_174529.jpg