Sign in to follow this  
Harley46

Recommend Wellington Service

Hi there.. I have just purchased a tidy 2007 320i e90 import and looking for a recommendation for servicing.. I read on an old post that Page was good in the city.. is that still the go to place? Is there a recommendation for somewhere near Porirua? Thanks

Mike Page in Paraparaumu.  Porirua European moved out of Porirua some time  ago.

Auto 38 in Newtown.  Page European in Mt Victoria.  Both recommended.

Update:  as of Feb 19, I'm downgrading my recommendation of Page European to a cautious ok.

Edited by Olaf

Bringing this thread back - in summary there isn't a good independent BMW garage in Wellington?

Seriously?  

Since my F20 no longer on all-inclusive service plan, I'm looking for a good, reasonably-priced BMW focused garage.  Seems that there isn't one, apart from driving all the way to Paraparaumu? 

27 minutes ago, 318Touring said:

Bringing this thread back - in summary there isn't a good independent BMW garage in Wellington?

Seriously?  

Since my F20 no longer on all-inclusive service plan, I'm looking for a good, reasonably-priced BMW focused garage.  Seems that there isn't one, apart from driving all the way to Paraparaumu? 

correct as far as late model stuff goes, and even then, probably little experience with the newer models ?

Why are you not willing to take it to the dealer ?

2 hours ago, 318Touring said:

Seems that there isn't one, apart from driving all the way to Paraparaumu? 

Some of drive all that way, twice a day lol 

Dealer is charging $120/hr + GST or thereabouts.  Independent $100/hr + GST.  Dealer will 'include' other nonsense (Porsche is always 'topping up washer fluid' for $25+GST as part of their standard service, and give you the 9/10th full bottle - I told them I now have lots of those bottles at home, and not to top up my washer fluid).

My BMW is not a car where it is important to have official dealer stamps (actually service records are in IDrive only now).

Hence why pay more for the same thing for something that isn't 'special'?  I'll search online for DIY oil service, and how to reset the iDrive, if it's not too much involved.

What's happened to the BMW scene?  For Porsche I can go to Powerhaus or North City Motor knowing that they'll do as good job or better than the dealer as long as it's not 991 or newer.

1 hour ago, 318Touring said:

Dealer is charging $120/hr + GST or thereabouts.  Independent $100/hr + GST.  Dealer will 'include' other nonsense (Porsche is always 'topping up washer fluid' for $25+GST as part of their standard service, and give you the 9/10th full bottle - I told them I now have lots of those bottles at home, and not to top up my washer fluid).

My BMW is not a car where it is important to have official dealer stamps (actually service records are in IDrive only now).

Hence why pay more for the same thing for something that isn't 'special'?  I'll search online for DIY oil service, and how to reset the iDrive, if it's not too much involved.

What's happened to the BMW scene?  For Porsche I can go to Powerhaus or North City Motor knowing that they'll do as good job or better than the dealer as long as it's not 991 or newer.

Is the vehicle still under warranty? Be careful as you dont want void the warranty should something happen in the future.

You can always request that they don't top up the fluid and do the 'extras' you don't want

Edited by Gaz

2 hours ago, 318Touring said:

This is a good question. Seems to be limited info on whether the change from Jeff Gray to Winger has changed the service at the main dealer (taking mine there for brake fluid / WOF later in the month though). However it seems a little odd that there's no one else doing newer <10 yr old BMW's. Have heard good things from @Olaf and others about Auto 38 and it's conveniently located to me, however seems perhaps better for the >10 year old models.

I've only had good experiences at Page European and can give them a recommendation. 

The guy I bought my previous bmw off, a e90 325i, had it serviced with them and recommended their work so I brought it to them and had no issues. 

I've also had my 130i there 3 times(service/diagnosis/diagnosis & repair) the most recent being for two weeks and they went above and beyond 

Now my experience has all been with recent BMWs, and judging by what's in their workshop when I've been there that's their bread & butter work. 

6 hours ago, balancerider said:

This is a good question. Seems to be limited info on whether the change from Jeff Gray to Winger has changed the service at the main dealer (taking mine there for brake fluid / WOF later in the month though).

However it seems a little odd that there's no one else doing newer <10 yr old BMW's. Have heard good things from @Olaf and others about Auto 38 and it's conveniently located to me, however seems perhaps better for the >10 year old models.

Who's not doing "newer than 10 year old BMW's?  Page do them, Auto 38 do them... has a good independent in Wellington actually turned you down, or said "sorry we don't do newer than 10 years"?  Or is this more of an impression?  I'm genuinely interested - as I don't have anything newer than 2004! ?

It's interesting, in developed countries (such as Australia, UK, USA) they have laws that ensure that providing the vehicle is serviced to the manufactuer's specs, the warranty *must* still be supported.  Eg, buy a Nissan Navara new in OZ, you can have it serviced where you like, and the manufactuer's warranty must still apply - you don't have to take it to a Nissan dealer.  Neat trick eh?  

cheers

8 minutes ago, Olaf said:

It's interesting, in developed countries (such as Australia, UK, USA) they have laws that ensure that providing the vehicle is serviced to the manufactuer's specs, the warranty *must* still be supported.  Eg, buy a Nissan Navara new in OZ, you can have it serviced where you like, and the manufactuer's warranty must still apply - you don't have to take it to a Nissan dealer.  Neat trick eh?  

cheers

From my experience servicing cars, this generally applies here too as long as all the checks in the schedule are done and genuine parts are used. The exception is aftermarket mechanical warranties which can be dicks about it all. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Who's not doing "newer than 10 year old BMW's?  Page do them, Auto 38 do them... has a good independent in Wellington actually turned you down, or said "sorry we don't do newer than 10 years"?  Or is this more of an impression?  I'm genuinely interested - as I don't have anything newer than 2004! ?

cheers

Just an impression - but the newer vehicles have electronic service history via an idrive menu which as I understand is only updatable by authorised BMW dealers or independents if they pay a fee to use the BMW software (I haven't checked but doubt this would be any of the wellington indys). With a 3 year old car I think that's probably worth preserving.

Edited by balancerider

The software used for coding is expensive.  Porsche's one costs $10k or more (USD?), not a lot of independent garages will have that kind of money lying around.  Powerhaus is currently sending 991s to Armstrong if they need coding.  In some cases they will indeed tell the owner to go to Armstrong, so yes, this is already the case for Porsches.  

I'll ask around and see what I feel like doing, at the end of the day I don't think the difference will be that much, especially if Winger provides a loaner as it's much more convenient (is it still free?).  My BMW has finished its warranty and servicing period hence my original question.

How to change oil and filter plus resetting the service indicator in F30 (and F20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pX2vp-Glk

PS: I get mine (not the BMW) serviced at Armstrong as I want OPC's stamps on the book....