Sign in to follow this  
Gus

e30 325i Motorsport debate (Also MTech 1 vs Mtech 2)

well since there is so much going on at the moment (and always has been) about the merits and originality of the 325i motorsports floating around i thought i would try and shed some light on the dicussion. I am no encylopaedia, but am going off what i have seen, as opposed to what people have told me.

The 325i Motorsport is known by many names in different countries. M325i in NZ, 325iM, 325i Motorsport here too. 325i Sport in the UK. Sweden M Paket? Sam help a foo out

The Options that defined it as a Motorsport are as follows:

2 Door Body shell

5 Speed Manual

LSD (3.64, 3.73, 3.91 mostly, NZ seemed to get 3.64 in NZ new cars)

Sport Seats (a recaro copy, referred to as such however. have chunky side bolsters)

Black Headliner (different material to the stock beige one, more of a matte finish and finer material)

Shadowlined door/window trims (ie they were not chrome)

14.5mm rear sway (vs 12mm, helps reduce understeer)

15x7" Basketweave style wheels

Common options that appeared on them (but not all)

Tweeter side pods (behind the wing mirror)

Map Light Mirror (the rear view mirror had map lights in them)

Now they came in pre Facelift (Mtech 1) and facelifted (MTech 2) models.

I will illustrate:

MTech 1 is the top two pictures attached. Notice the more angular look, smaller lip wing.

MTech 2 is the second two pictures attached. Notice the more rounded look and large wing. They tend to be slightly more expensive.

For further clarification, Motorsports were NOT 4 door, automatic (not very sporting options) open diffed cars. They may have an M stuck on somewhere, but if a car is advertised as a Motorsport people are expecting the above options, and will be suprised when they dont see those options.

Some people get wound up about this subject for some reason, at the end of the day there are some very nice e30s out there that are not motorsports and there is nothing wrong with that as the Motorsport is just a few option boxes ticked that make driving the e30 more fun. I have owned both an mtech 1 M325i and mtech 2 m325i and have built a 4 door 325i mtech 2. All different cars yet pretty similar.

I hope this helps the discussion, its getting a bit old to have endless threads about the same subject. I welcome this thread being added too, however if you are going to add something that others may disagree, have some sort of evidence to back yourself up.

And this does even count getting into the special edition debates! 325iS and 333i etc

Over and Out from an e30 anorak

post-9-1193908870_thumb.jpg

post-9-1193908895_thumb.jpg

post-9-1193908940_thumb.jpg

post-9-1193909333_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Gus

Damn,that tech 2 looks hot.

+ 20,000.

Nice and concise.

Am I right that the first Mtech 1 models came with 14x6.5" basketweaves?

I wouldnt have thought so Nic, i imagine its more likely they got replaced at some point as they are cheaper and easier to find than 15's. sounds more plausible anyhow.

Also, I have heard and see cars that are M325i Facelifts, with every option but the body kit. Thats a tough one, as i have seen the build sheet and its the same as a normal one, maybe just the option deleted?

and about that tech2 , here you go fullas http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46884

its super tidy and some good photography and backgrounds. great combo!

Edited by The Gus

Great post. Love how the E30 Motorsports look!

Anfd there in lies the rub....BMW are masters in adding a few subtle touches that make a "normal car" look a 100 times better..so every one jumps on the bandwagon and adds a badge spoiler ,bigger wheels etc and calls there car a "motorsport".

agreed, a M325i aint that special, but is a nice looking car, and good combination of ownership such as cost of running, looks, handling, power etc

BTW i would like anyone who has any questions/issues to raise them in here, as i am sick of having arguments about genuinicity and ruining FS threads

the mtech 1, m tech 2 and m3 all have there own look.

I _really_ like look of all of them. They all have there own stance. and look the money in the rear vision mirror.

This thread will be locked if you go off-topic.

It is worth to note it is different in any country.

The cars we know here (325iS, M325, whatever you want to call them) are BMW made cars.

Then there are the dealer optioned cars (you could spec every Motorsport option, even the black headliner)

333i, now there's a memory! One center air vent made way for an oil temp gauge!

My neighbour had a black one, choice was air con or power steering!

1st was down bottom left and he clutch needed a mule's hind leg!

145kw then was the business though she went like stink. Somewhere I have an old Car SA roadtest that I could scan if you're interested?

Justin my friend, this is what we call a thread dig. Notice how old the post above yours is? Noobie error :lol:

What do you call a 4door MT2 LSD 5Speed Manual etc etc etc everything listed above just 4 doors? is that not a Motorsport?

What do you call a 4door MT2 LSD 5Speed Manual etc etc etc everything listed above just 4 doors? is that not a Motorsport?

I'd call it what it is, a replica.

Hasn't this all been talked about to death before over and over again?

I think he means a 4door with all the motorsport stuff, but it aint a motorsport.. Just a option ticked 325i?

I'd call it what it is, a replica.

Hasn't this all been talked about to death before over and over again?

This is the first place that i have seen "2 door" as a prerequisite to being a motorsport thats why i was asking

I think he means a 4door with all the motorsport stuff, but it aint a motorsport.. Just a option ticked 325i?

Yeah. Authentic factory unmodified 4 doors with all the M-Tech stuff, MT2, LSD, 2.5L Manual, Sport Suspension, Sport interior etc etc etc... I wasnt even thought of when E30s were being produced so i dont know what the options list looks like

In NZ (i.e NZ new) we have M325`s only in 2 door. In 1990 there was a no. of 325ise`s in 4 door. These were Tech2 kitted. I own have owned many of them from all years.

I`ve made plenty of replicas from M Sports I have dismantled but would never call one a M Sport.

Just like calling replica Alpinas (19 spoke) Genuine Alpinas (20 Spoke).

Call me a purist but that`s a big part of my passion for BMW.

In NZ (i.e NZ new) we have M325`s only in 2 door. In 1990 there was a no. of 325ise`s in 4 door. These were Tech2 kitted. I own have owned many of them from all years.

I`ve made plenty of replicas from M Sports I have dismantled but would never call one a M Sport.

Just like calling replica Alpinas (19 spoke) Genuine Alpinas (20 Spoke).

Call me a purist but that`s a big part of my passion for BMW.

That must be the car that i got all my motorsport stuff off then. thanks for clearing that up, i did wonder!

Thats confirmed for me that I have an MTech11 kit on my E30. I was never sure but there were few around when I got it. It seems the main difference is the side panels above the sills up the doors and rocker panels which give the car a wider stance overall. See the attached pic of mine taken a few years back when I regularly used it on Dunlop Targa NZ. I'm on the drivers side. The car is an English import and we suspect it was converted in England before import. It has all the specs mentioned except a 3 spoke steering wheel, I now have one to swap!

Cheers

post-4529-1262677072.jpg

additional pics of same car without the dudes and stickers... easier to see the shape is more "square" both side on and from front/rear.

Please resize your photos and respost them.. thank you

Edited by *Glenn*

Motorsport and Mtech are chalk and cheese talk.

M Series cars are the Motorsport cars created and produced separately by the Motorsport Division own workshop and factory. (Since 1972, by the elite for competition purposes).

Mtech cars are/were made in various places with varied enhanced specs as decided for marketing. A car with Mtech gear fitted is not a motorsport produced car.

tech 1 with a tech 2 fnt bumper ftw.

deap side skirts with the more agressive bumper..... i miss my e30... sigh