Sign in to follow this  
BimmerMSport

What petrol to use?

I would use min of 95 octain. No doubt it has been running on quite high octain jap gas.

I only run 98 octane in mine, i'm with the others, at least 95 if not 98, DON'T use 91, the engine will ping its nuts off.

I always use BP Ultimate 98. If not available in an unscheduled fillup then I splash and dash with 95.

Ive got an E30 lol, I put 91 in it ?

But im a bit of a noob lol, Should i be using min 95 or is this only for this guys 525 motorsport?

The manual says use 91 for my e30 318. Yours is a 316 so i assume its the same deal. Higher octane is for higher performance engines.

98 rules! I'm glad BP has gone with the higher octane option. The downside is that they can charge what they want for it because no one else has it!

I definitely feel the difference when running 98 over 95, my car runs a lot smoother, more powerfully and it's more economical too.

Higher octane is always better imo, theres no real downside (aside from price) if in doubt stick higher octane in, I run 95 in my e30.

98 rules! I'm glad BP has gone with the higher octane option. The downside is that they can charge what they want for it because no one else has it!

I definitely feel the difference when running 98 over 95, my car runs a lot smoother, more powerfully and it's more economical too.

Sorry, but does your local mobil not offer 98 as well? Is BP the only one that offer 98 around your area?

I do agree with you, 98 is really the best that we have for the average driver, dont know seriously if its just my mind or actually true but the needle always hits 6000RPM faster whilst running on 98...I have only ever gone with 95 or 98...

Ill try some 95 next time, Thanks for the help.

lol

Man 98 is hard to get down here in the sth, i have to drive 25mins into chch just to get mine. I some times use 95 and its ok, my car was tuned for 98 so i always try to use that but my tuner said it will cope with 95 if needed

i ran 91 last week (new bmw owner) but then did a fill with 95 and it ran better , im going to try 98 next time and try that, mayby alternate between fills, what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

Edited by justinmyles

4 year old bump nice but a few 6's on here

i ran 91 last week (new bmw owner) but then did a fill with 95 and it ran better , im going to try 98 next time and try that, mayby alternate between fills, what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

Why? If you are trying to establish which fuel type is has best milage, you should use each fuel type at least a few times in a roll to get a good average. Not to mention there's a bit of the old stuff already in the tank when you change fuel.

Mobil 97.5 oct = best bang for buck

I find bp 98 to be inconsistent and too exp. (the 98 is a title and is not actually 98 octane).

Otherwise caltex 95techron with the aa fuel points is the best. I filled up for 198cents a litre last week :D

To be completely frank I'd avoid BP, too expensive and they treat everyone like gas thieves. I JUST WANT TO FILL UP f**k YOUR PREPAY.....

Mobil 97.5 oct = best bang for buck

I find bp 98 to be inconsistent and too exp. (the 98 is a title and is not actually 98 octane).

Otherwise caltex 95techron with the aa fuel points is the best. I filled up for 198cents a litre last week :D

To be completely frank I'd avoid BP, too expensive and they treat everyone like gas thieves. I JUST WANT TO FILL UP f**k YOUR PREPAY.....

I pretty much always go to Shell/Z because its more NZ owned than any of the other ones, and have always had good customer service at pretty much every station. Even better now they have rebranded as Z. Converted the company i work for to them too. I use 91 in the E30s and 95 in the E34s, much better economy in the latter when using 95 over 91 so the increased cost is more than offset by the milage.

Ive had a boycott against BP since they didnt take responsibility for scratching up my Sentra in thier carwash back before i got into BMWs. Yes its was a $500 car, but thats not the point. Aparently they sub contract the car washes out and I went to see the guy that aparently owns the carwash machine thing and he wasnt having a bar of it.

And i HATE mobil, all of them ive been to down here are prepay even in the middle of the day. I can understand at night time, but during the day is a pain in the ass when you want to fill up. Queue up at counter, pay $150, fill up car, queue up again to get your refund, wait for them to get thier manager to figure out how to print a GST recipet of the amount i actually brought.........

Never ever ever use prepay always get the guy to release the pump or drive off

Out of principle? Or what's your reasoning for this?