Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

Just read the entire thread, man this build is crazy, can't wait to hear how you got on with getting it tuned.

Haha yea I went back through it not long ago and man its come along way. I cant wait either lol... Ive ran into a bit of trouble, so close but now so far!

Got a phone call from my tuner today and he told me I need an RB20 Ignition driver after a few hours of riinging around my contacts (im in the automotive trade) I found one of a mate for $20 with the plug also. Thought id sorted it all out but then got a phone call at 4pm saying that the RX7 injectors id bought of someone were only flowed by my supplier at 360cc per min! Im so damn annoyed cause I dont know if i will get my $ back for them let alone come up with another $560 some brand new SARD 550cc. I guess at the end of the day there are always slight hicups like this and it will get there eventually, just hope I dont get charged more dyno time lol.

Will keep you all updated

Cheers, Luke

Guest FrantiC

Haha yea I went back through it not long ago and man its come along way. I cant wait either lol... Ive ran into a bit of trouble, so close but now so far!

Got a phone call from my tuner today and he told me I need an RB20 Ignition driver after a few hours of riinging around my contacts (im in the automotive trade) I found one of a mate for $20 with the plug also. Thought id sorted it all out but then got a phone call at 4pm saying that the RX7 injectors id bought of someone were only flowed by my supplier at 360cc per min! Im so damn annoyed cause I dont know if i will get my $ back for them let alone come up with another $560 some brand new SARD 550cc. I guess at the end of the day there are always slight hicups like this and it will get there eventually, just hope I dont get charged more dyno time lol.

Will keep you all updated

Cheers, Luke

Maybe it's to do with fuel pressure?

Crank it up so the injectors flow more ?

I bought 6x 440cc Ford racing Bosch injectors, straight swap in for $400 shipped off of Ebay U.S.

Even if he bumps the fuel pressure they will potentially run out of puff by say 400hp. While that's heaps ... an M50 with that turbo can do more and it would be rude not to.

Maybe it's to do with fuel pressure?

Crank it up so the injectors flow more ?

I bought 6x 440cc Ford racing Bosch injectors, straight swap in for $400 shipped off of Ebay U.S.

Nah John its the fact that they simply too small for the job. Adam Richards has a set of GTR injectors he said I can have for VERY cheap! So we are going to run with those for now, atleast it gets her on the dyno. Adam had them running 300kw in his cefiro so they should be enough for my needs.

Even if he bumps the fuel pressure they will potentially run out of puff by say 400hp. While that's heaps ... an M50 with that turbo can do more and it would be rude not to.

Yes Cam it would be rude not too :P so keen to run like 18-19psi but I might just see how we go with the GTR injectors for the time being and work my way up from there.

Ok so I took one of the so called "RX7 550cc" injectors back to the dude I bought them off today. I stod over his shoulder and watched him test them. Over the period of 10sec doing an open flow test they flowed shy of 100cc, multiply that by 6 to get cc per min and that gives you 540-570cc per min.

So that proves they are 550cc injectors so I have no idea what my tuner is upto telling me that they only flowed 60cc in 10sec which equates to 360cc per minute...

Both test were done at 3.0bar. Only problem is I watched the guy test them but wasnt well aware of how he set the machine up. Could he have possibly told me he flowed them at 3.0bar but actually done it at say 4.0 for example and therefor causing them to flow at a higher rate?

p.s a mate with a series four RX7 just texted me the numbers of his injectors and they match the same denso numbers on my 550cc injectors...

Edited by Boost Junky

According to this:

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

You'd need to use 100psi to get a 360cc injector to flow 550cc, so I doubt it!

Well there you go. So my tuner is doing a dodgy on me! I looked up the Denso number in google (195500-1370 if anyones curious) and it straight away brought up info on RX7 injectors etc...

Guest FrantiC

Hmm, sounds like they aren't to "on to it" eh.. Hopefully they do a better job with everything else!

KEEN FOR DYNO VID PLZ.

Yea they normally suss out tunes pretty mint maybe he just generally made a mistake which happnes. Dyno vids hopeully by the end of the week John B)

argh its gonna be hard to tell your tuner aye cause you dont want to insult his intelligence but at the same you know he is wrong! Hate that.

argh its gonna be hard to tell your tuner aye cause you dont want to insult his intelligence but at the same you know he is wrong! Hate that.

Thats right Max! And what makes it harder is that im mates with him so yea... Ah well ill sort it out today hopefully ;)

Hello,

Nice work !!

Where did you get the oil feeding kit?

Posted Image

Hey mate, thanks not to shabby aye. I just made it up out of fittings from a local hydraulics supplier aye. Easy and cheap enough to do. Just buy the fittings to suit oild pressure gauge and fittings to suit the thread on the turbo oil feed.

Luke

Guest FrantiC

Bump!

Keen to see this sucker screaming on the dyno! What's taking so long??

Bump!

Keen to see this sucker screaming on the dyno! What's taking so long??

Whoa haha didnt realised you bumped it John. But hey not much of an update.. I went out to Dobsons after work and took a few quick shots of the Link mounted in place and a good shot of the plastic cover that goes on the rocker cover and the damage that the turbo done too it. Tony at dobsons has made up a temporary cover to protect the coil packs etc but im going to have to make something more permanent up to protect them and the bonnet also.

When I turned up the car was being towed round the back and yes......... into the dyno room sweeeeeet! So Ross the owner is getting started on it on Monday. He going to configure the Link and get her running and tuned, then hes going to let me know when shes ready for the final power run which I shall most hopefully get on video for you envious followers ;)

p.s they have put the RX7 550cc injectors back in yoooooo

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Boost Junky

Who else knows how much power this thing is putting down with it's base tune?? :D :D

YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA....:D i do but shhhhhhh

Vid shouldn't be too far away!

Hopefully tonight.

Bahh I give up trying to convert the footage ill suss it another time.

So the car was tuned last night right, went out there after work and we got straight into it bit of mucking around and found one of the injectors wasnt pulsing properly. I headed back to town and found another 4 550 rx7 injectors so we managed to make a good set of 6 up again.

Now this is where it gets interesting, this was only a stage of Basemap tuning which is pretty much figuring out where the maps roughly should be pretty much running richer than it should. She made 210wkw (281whp) at onnly 6psi of boost and only a rev limit of 6000rpm!!!! WTF! :D

So after a few tests and power runs we decided before calling it a night to whack her upto 13psi... what did we achieve? nothing shy of 261wkw!!!!! Thats a nice juicy 350whp!!!!

Im absolutely stoaked aye! Cant believe the easy power these things make. Now the motor should safely be able to be raised to a rev limit of 7000rpm so I hate to think what kind of power she will make at that!

Heres the graph... check out how the power is still wanting to just accelerate up up and UP! But is restricted by the dyno 6000rpm limit:

Posted Image

Will have video and images up soon of the night

Luke