Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E30 vs. E36

Which three series?   

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

race you in my honda city

ill win hahahah

YOU. Of all people. Own a Honda City.

AHHH HAHAHA.

Nah the E30 was raw as.I liked it.

Raw? This is when Glenn is supposed to butt in and make a old mans dirty comment.

I'd do it.

But I'm not old.

And I'm certainly NOT a man. :huh:

Ive driven my mums E36 328i a few times and dont really like it.

Heaps of blind spots compared to a E30.

Have driven plenty of of both E30's & E36's - both great cars I reacon & the 36 a natural progression in development.

That said - IMO - the E30 is a classic which I love (facelift tech 2 & M3 cars specifically), the E36 I think as comparibly boring in looks - no offense guys :) even though a good driving car.

Both, as all cars, have weak links - E30's - cracked dashes, broken sunroof & window winders, broken glove box latches to name a few - all common failures but equally E36's with hood lining down around the ears, door trims falling apart, heater controls failing are all common.

For me its E30 or an E46 which I reacon has regained style body wise

Mate is because there so bloody old! Everyone's got problems that they need to sort out therefore they use the internet. Sorry but you asked for it.....ha ha

pah, I got 4 years out of my e30 before I started f**king with it, at 250000km I might at. the e36's in our family have had far more problems at half the mileage.

In my 50000km of ownership my e30 has never left me stranded. yea i've broken sh*t but its been my own fault and still got me home.

Damn. I'm losing my a**hole status. Will have to try harder next time!

I noticed that too, your posts are becoming much less pedantic and annoying. sort it out, every forum needs a resident a**hole.

Edited by Mike

I really love both models, each have their merits and I really don't think this sort of discussion has much weight as I don't see how you can compare the two side by side.

My reasoning:

E30 is a "raw" car, not many features but simply a great ride. Or as many have put it "great to just throw around"

E36 is a "luxury sports car", packed with features (still a stunning ride but perhaps less "feel").

It's kinda like saying, "that hammer is sooo much better than a jigsaw or vice versa" (or something along those lines).

Now if we were comparing E36 to E46 it might be a different story.

And when it comes to looks, thats just a matter of preference... I personally think both models can look absolutely stunning!

I will say though, E36 M3 interior is hands down one of the nicest I have seen in ANY sports car!

well i own a E36 myself (i think ) i have to confirm on that all i know is that its a 97 bmw 316i i am very happy with it especially with full leather interior..... its the first time i have owned a bmw

bmw makes alot of orsome and classsic and ground breaking cars..... hence they are very popular and demanding by many business ppl.... i guesss bmw started off with a normal street look and slowly moved on to a business / professional / rice look and with the M series still keeping young enthusiasts interested int he cars for the power etc.....

at the end of the day i think that all BMW's are orsome and regardless of what model they are we all are proud of our own cars cause everyone has different opinions and view on cars and ppl most of the time end up buying a bmw that they want to be in and are happy to be driving it

so i guess there is not much point debating if E30 or E36 or E46 is better. i recon they are all orsome cars and as years go by bmw is making more orsome cars for the future that i am sure we all will enjoy driving it one day ....

sorry to be writing a bog story but its like 8am in the morning and i am still sleepy and yea thought i would jst put my 2 cents in.....

It’s not about what’s better it’s about personal preference, as stated I started a poll as a rebuttal against Crockets comments.

I brought an E30 to be different and to stand out from the crowd of other wagons on the road only to find the E30 is a sensational drive, even with bugger all power!

I preferred driving my 89 Touring over my 06 Astra which had double the power and an feature list better than a top of the line E46!

i like factory E36's and crazy tweaked supercharged/turbo E30's. Dont like stocker E30's

The most notable characteristic of the E30 M3 (relative to later M3 iterations) is its racing pedigree. It was campaigned by BMW as well as other racing teams including Prodrive and AC Schnitzer competing in many forms of racing including but not limited to Rally, DTM, Australian touring car and other series.

One of the main reasons for production of the road car was to homologate the M3 for Group A Touring Car racing. One of the reasons often cited for its creation was that it was to compete with the "2.3-16V"-model of the Mercedes-Benz W201 190E which was introduced in 1983,

as i was saying the M3 e30 was designed to be a race car, Not a family car.

If you wanted a race spec e36 you would have to get the special requested csl model

Otherwise its really just based on the e36 325i four door coupe imo.

I'm sorry mate I can't leave this unchallenged. Your first post on this didn't refer to M3s, it just said e30 = based on a race car and e36 doesn't.

While you are correct that the e30 M3 has a (much) better race pedigree, the e36 as a 4 door, 2 litre Supertourer has plenty of race pedigree as a factory car with many of the same drivers as the earlier e30 M3.

So I completely disagree that the e30 is based on a race car and the e36 not - they are equal in that respect, and the e36 has a far better suspension design.

You are also correct that the e30 M3 was a homologation car, but the e30 itself predates this and a regular e30 is nothing like an M3 ---> its a reasonably different body and engine. The M3 engine is a proper race engine, I agree.

(I may get disagreement on the next one) A standard E36 M3 is IMHO a faster car with a better cornering speed than an E30 M3. To be fair, I haven't driven an E30 M3, but its evident from lap times and power/weight. I bet the E30 M3 is a better car to drive, but that's not the same as faster.

I still would prefer the E30 M3, and would always prefer a 325i e30 to an e36, but the E36 M3 is a very, very fast car. I have an Evo - it has over 300hp. It's completely inaccessible on NZ roads, but its still there.

On an unrelated note, my M3's steering is sh1t. It gets you around the corners fine, but has no feel at all.

Edited by CamB

I preferred driving my 89 Touring over my 06 Astra which had double the power and an feature list better than a top of the line E46!

Of course you did it is a bloody Holden

Of course you did it is a bloody Holden

Hey, watch it. It was an Opel with Holden badges and was bloody quick, would tear strips from the olds 330i.. biggest problem was lack of feel.

I noticed that too, your posts are becoming much less pedantic and annoying. sort it out, every forum needs a resident a**hole.

Awww I think Crockett is starting to act like a big boy.

Nawww.

YOU. Of all people. Own a Honda City.

AHHH HAHAHA.

Raw? This is when Glenn is supposed to butt in and make a old mans dirty comment.

I'd do it.

But I'm not old.

And I'm certainly NOT a man. :huh:

Jebus, you can be a smart little skirt when you want to be :unsure:

Am I getting some sort of reputation here ??

Am I getting some sort of reputation here ??

I thought you always had that reputation Glenn.

Edited by briancol

I could post a joke...have had a few real good ones lately.... but I could get banned

I could post a joke...have had a few real good ones lately.... but I could get banned

That hasn't stopped you before Glenn, so come on, out with a few.

Perhaps the one about the best engine in the world? :lol:

Back on topic Boys & Girls :D .....Please

I concur. I see a few "personal attacks" are floating around...

Loved the E30 as soon as I rode in and drove one, waited nearly 20 years to buy my 'vert as it was owned by friends and family from new :love: .

When the E36 came out, I much preferred it, more modern looks, better specs, more power, quicker, etc.

But now the E36 has been up-dated by later versions, I feel the E30 has now achieved a cult, classic status and the E36 is an in-betweener, it's not a classic and it's not the latest and greatest.

So it's E30 for me, even if you offered me a mint E36 325 (or even 328) convertible, with all the toys, I would not swap it for my E30.

But if it was an E36 or anything of equivalent market value, it would have to be the E36!

Loved the E30 as soon as I rode in and drove one, waited nearly 20 years to buy my 'vert as it was owned by friends and family from new :love: .

When the E36 came out, I much preferred it, more modern looks, better specs, more power, quicker, etc.

But now the E36 has been up-dated by later versions, I feel the E30 has now achieved a cult, classic status and the E36 is an in-betweener, it's not a classic and it's not the latest and greatest.

So it's E30 for me, even if you offered me a mint E36 325 (or even 328) convertible, with all the toys, I would not swap it for my E30.

But if it was an E36 or anything of equivalent market value, it would have to be the E36!

Yep, totally agree - the E36 when new was certainly breaking new ground over the E30 & arguably much better but now being an in between model has lost some appeal while the E30 has gained a cult status.

I can't really see the E36 doing such a thing -nor later models for that matter in years to come. I guess time will tell:-

race you in my honda city

ill win hahahah

Doubt it lol, Unless its a Honda City Turbo