Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E30 vs. E36

Which three series?   

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A completely pointless argument IMO, they're both fantastic cars and everyone is going to have personal preferences. But here's my opinion... Having owned an e30 320i last year while my M3 was getting done I was more than happy to get back into the M3, but I'll definably own an e30 M3 one day. The biggest problem is that E36's have become cheapened by the large amount of them on the street, half wearing fake M3 badges and the rest bearing horrid modifications. I'm tempted to sell up and get an e39 M5 because of it. BMW screwed up the e36 in a few ways, offering motorsport kits on non-m3's and not making the M3 visually different (i.e no wide body >_<). But at the end of the day they're both excellent and incomparable, I'd like to have both e30 and e36 M3's.

Right on the ball Matt, pretty much took the words out of my mouth (apart from the whole own another M3 / M5 bit hehe) :).

Edited by crazyarab

For me, I'm completely torn. My first car I brought was an e36 318 and I thought it was amazing. Then I joined BS :D. I had previously hated the e30 but after many a hour spent on here I soon changed my mind and now love the e30s so much I brought one. I still regret selling my e36 and have since been looking at buying a 328 but for some reason just can't seem to bring myself to do it and keep going back to looking at e30s.

Moral of of my story is, don't count out the e30s just yet, they have a habit of sneaking up on ya and then you will end up buying one haha

My opinion?

They're both BM's...so why does it matter.

I almost brought 2 different e30's before I bought my e36...I backed out of the e30's as they seem like smaller cars...don't seem as classy to me...Yeah.

E30's look pretty mint doing O's though...cough Boostjunky cough...

^_^

The biggest problem is that E36's have become cheapened by the large amount of them on the street, half wearing fake M3 badges

Haha - I have met very few people who have realised mine (a 4 door) is actually an M3.

$ for $ I'd take an e30 every time. The E36 is way too heavy. Yes, as an M3 it goes fast but only when you wind it out and that means 100kph+ in 2nd gear so it's easy to get in trouble. An e30 is more fun to drive - mostly it seems due to the lighter weight.

The main reason I have the E36, and it appeals to me, is that its got good aircon and nice leather and iit drives well, and its still fast. If I could have the aircon etc and some reliability in an e30 I'd probably have gone that way, but to contradict my earlier comment, on reflection I'd find it hard to spend $20k on a non-M e30 (bearing in mind an e30 M3, at any price, is impractical as a daily car due to being LHD unless converted - I've got parking buildings to deal to).

Mind you a mint M325i is probably a $15k car over a couple of years as stuff wears out...

Am I the only one who's chosen a car they don't have? LOL.

Edited by CamB

I like the crome of the pfl.

I know that other 3 series are more comfortable but i dont spend more than half an hour in any car being that i live in the city. But then being comfy is a personal thing and a heater & stereo do it for me. I had a e28 which is about the same as a e30 as far as modern goes but it had more room (for long legs) and leather which was so nice.

Why are the e36 M3 not that good if i was going to buy any e36 it would be an M3.

The E36 is way too heavy.

Haha that is the exact reason what pushed me to buy my car in the end. My Integra was way too light. Felt like I wasn't sticking to the road. Now I'm not going anywhere...

Just feel safer in my e36. In an e30 it feels...okay sorry but...tinny? Haha. No that ain't the right word...

e30 mtech2 over e36, if not mtech2, e36 all the way!

The biggest problem is that E36's have become cheapened by the large amount of them on the street, half wearing fake M3 badges and the rest bearing horrid modifications. I'm tempted to sell up and get an e39 M5 because of it. BMW screwed up the e36 in a few ways, offering motorsport kits on non-m3's and not making the M3 visually different (i.e no wide body >_<).

Funny you say that...for me the E36 M3's biggest appeal is the fact it looks like any other E36! And apparently they handle a lot better..

But I still wouldn't have a non-M3 E36.

Am I the only one who's chosen a car they don't have? LOL.

Well, you've had one of my E30's in your driveway for the last year :P Does that count?

Heh, the fact that CamB gets some jollies out of driving my basically standard E30 maybe counts toward fun factor? Something I feel E36's lack...remember this is my opinion only (don't want people getting their knickers in a twist).

As for the E46 comments, on most weeks I drive a E46 328 M as well as the E30. I don't really think the E46 and the E30 can be compared? The E46 feels like it should be a 5 series to be honest...hugely comfortable, quiet....and heavy. Very heavy. Even though the car hides it's weight well the weight is ever present!

$ for $ I don't think you can beat the E46 value though. E30's are becoming pretty expensive.

But would definitely take an E30 over E36 any day, be it daily or weekend car. E46 would make a lovely form of transportation.

...But I wouldn't really want a BMW daily...I feel like a bit of a cock driving the E46 :ph34r:

Haha that is the exact reason what pushed me to buy my car in the end. My Integra was way too light. Felt like I wasn't sticking to the road. Now I'm not going anywhere...

Just feel safer in my e36. In an e30 it feels...okay sorry but...tinny? Haha. No that ain't the right word...

Haha yeah you do feel the speed alot more in the E30 than the E36, but i found E30 steering feel is better and alot easier to know whats your cars doing when your driving it hard.

I just cant seem to fathom what all the fuss is about an E30! I love the shape, look etc of an Mtech or M3 (definatly not a stock standard one) but why are they so fun to drive? Not trying to offened anyone thats for sure but can someone please tell me the +'s over an E36? Obviously only people who own or have owned both can help out. I would have thought newer is better????? :wacko:

I'd love to drive one!

Edited by 3 SERIES

Haha - I have met very few people who have realised mine (a 4 door) is actually an M3.

Heh, I've had some idiot with an Integra say to me "Oh you've put M3 wing mirrors on it like mine." Luckily to the trained eye there's a million tell-tale signs it's an actual M3.

Funny you say that...for me the E36 M3's biggest appeal is the fact it looks like any other E36! And apparently they handle a lot better..

To some that's a bonus, I feel it goes both ways. When you spend the extra money on an M3 you kind of want it to look different to a 318 but nothing extravagant. The e30 M3 is perfect in that sense... But then again I can drive down the boy racer streets at 12 on a Friday and cops don't even notice I'm there. Edited by ecko_complex

e36 for me, love the lines and shape. but as said, they have been devalued with so many rugged ones running around. thats why i have my 3 step rule to buying a 3series... facelift. msport. coupe :) or a m3 lol

But if the poll was between e36 and e46 coupes....e46 for sure...really liking those now

Heh, I've had some idiot with an Integra say to me "Oh you've put M3 wing mirrors on it like mine." Luckily to the trained eye there's a million tell-tale signs it's an actual M3.

My god! I would have decked the guy right there are then :) Ha ha

My god! I would have decked the guy right there are then :) Ha ha

+1 and especially a honda driver saying that eww lol

I just cant seem to fathom what all the fuss is about an E30! I love the shape, look etc of an Mtech or M3 (definatly not a stock standard one) but why are they so fun to drive? Not trying to offened anyone thats for sure but can someone please tell me the +'s over an E36? Obviously only people who own or have owned both can help out. I would have thought newer is better????? :wacko:

I'd love to drive one!

I find they are alot easier to throw around and get some good old oversteer going, alot more raw than e36 steering feel wise and less refined ride. Feels like more of a sports car for me. I suggest driving one and you will see

I find they are alot easier to throw around and get some good old oversteer going, alot more raw than e36 steering feel wise and less refined ride. Feels like more of a sports car for me. I suggest driving one and you will see

Swap for a day anyone??? :) Ha ha

Yaa, from what ive read they're more raw and less restricted in a sense. You need to be a real driver....

e30 will always be more rare and more valuable, Easier to fix , less electrics that can fizz out , decent gearboxes All are german assembled And were built based on a race car not a family car like the e36 sort of is.

e36s are just too common and have too many faults such as the sagging roofs and all the jap assembled ones have gearbox and electrical issues. And it always seems to be the same probs through all of the e36s not just a hand few. The e36 m3 is an awsum car but it is just too similar to the family edition e36.

So my vote goes to the e30 m3s

Haha yeah you do feel the speed alot more in the E30 than the E36, but i found E30 steering feel is better and alot easier to know whats your cars doing when your driving it hard.

I don't know about anyone else with an e36, but I swear, my car has the worst steering in the world. My Dad told me it's the hardest car to drive...Haha he's 100 and something so yeah he's owned plenty of different cars.

Always correcting the steering...mainly cos of my wheels I guess...damn potholes.

I prefer the E46 over both especially as a daily driver (I agree with Hybrid - it is a nice place to be in the traffic with good stereo and creature comforts). I wanted one since the late 90's...

Having said that, I have always loved the E30 M3 and still remember the days of Emanuele Pirro and Roberto Ragvalia in the Schnitzer M3's - pure sex. Not sure I would ever part with the money required to acquire one now though.

...And were built based on a race car not a family car like the e36 sort of is.

WTF??? :rolleyes:

Apart from the fact i have an e30 as a daily drive.....

M3 I would take an E30 One.

If i did not have an E30 at the moment I would be looking at a 5spd manual E36

I would not sell an E30 to upgrade to an E36( unless it was a well priced M version), however i would be more likely to sell it to upgrade to a 5spd E34.

Confused ?

To be honest I Like all of them, provided each particular car has a few certain things

Like leather 5spd manual & Everything in tidy good working order.

But really I like My Datsun/Nissan 300zx the best

Edited by Jimmy

Swap for a day anyone??? :) Ha ha

Yaa, from what ive read they're more raw and less restricted in a sense. You need to be a real driver....

Ok, if you can drive upto Hamilton :D

WTF??? :rolleyes:

The most notable characteristic of the E30 M3 (relative to later M3 iterations) is its racing pedigree. It was campaigned by BMW as well as other racing teams including Prodrive and AC Schnitzer competing in many forms of racing including but not limited to Rally, DTM, Australian touring car and other series.

One of the main reasons for production of the road car was to homologate the M3 for Group A Touring Car racing. One of the reasons often cited for its creation was that it was to compete with the "2.3-16V"-model of the Mercedes-Benz W201 190E which was introduced in 1983,

as i was saying the M3 e30 was designed to be a race car, Not a family car.

If you wanted a race spec e36 you would have to get the special requested csl model

Otherwise its really just based on the e36 325i four door coupe imo.

Everybody google "e30 forums" or something along those lines.

Then google "e36 forums"

Compare how many of each you see. Theres the diffo. Even though there are a lot more e36s on the road, there are twice as many e30 enthusiasts.