Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E30 vs. E36

Which three series?   

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks to crocket.. can of worms open.

E30 vs. E36

What makes one better than the other?

Would you upgrade to an E36 (same grade) given the opportunity.

I personally wouldn’t have an E36 (or E46) but only because I like the character the E30 has.

E36 in every way, except for the M3.

If I owned say, an NZ new E30 318i manual done 100km and someone came up to me in the street and said "here I will swap you my NZ new E36 manual done 100km for your car" I would take it in a flash.

We all know an E30 is a great car, but an E36 is an evolution of it. Better performance, more reliable (as newer), more technology, more modern looks etc etc

Ha ha, was waiting for this one after a recent thread turned into a debate.

I own an E36 but am not bias in any way. I do agree with Crockett thou on his "straight swap" scenario.

As far a M3's go, its the E30 hands down!

I wouldn’t even take a E46 320i over my E30.

E30 has character, is built better, is more reliable has a style of its own and is admired by many.

The E30 M3, M325i and touring variants are also worth more than their E36 equivalents.

i would not own an e30 or an e36,maybe an e46 if icouldnt find a 5 series i liked

<br />E36 in every way, except for the M3.<br /><br />If I owned say, an NZ new E30 318i manual done 100km and someone came up to me in the street and said "here I will swap you my NZ new E36 manual done 100km for your car" I would take it in a flash.<br /><br />We all know an E30 is a great car, but an E36 is an evolution of it. Better performance, more reliable (as newer), more technology, more modern looks etc etc<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I agree the E36 is a "better" car but its bloody boring (at least the lower models anyway). As a daily driver in a city they're fine but an e30 is much more fun for a blat in the weekend or round a track- depends what you want from a car. Looks is completely subjective too, both are a bit ugly stock but the right wheels and suspension can make both look much better. If I dont get a work car at the end of the year Im considering getting a second car, most likely to be a E39 528i, e36 just doesnt really do it for me.

I like good examples of both models

+2

What about the E46?

Had an E36 and an E46 - got to say I prefer the E46 and not just because it's a newer car (doesn't mean that I didn't like the E36 though).

I wouldn't touch an E36 older then 1995, if I had a 96 325 offered to me with motorsport options I might take it but other then that I would defenitely keep my E30

I like the E30 and if i was to get a later model i would skip the e36 and get an E46. But at the moment i am having fun working on the e30's which is a simple car to start with.

I do like the later model e36 but do not like the ones with the missing rear end.

The e36 is too bland for my liking. I've looked at getting another BMW a few times (as well as, not instead of, the e30) and I can't ever bring myself to try an e36. I've looked at the odd m3 and I keep looking at the e36, and then back to the e30 and it simply doesn't measure up to my personal yardstick.

So I ended up looking at e39's and e46's. i ended my search when I realised even though either would be nice to have, and can look awesome with mods, it'd be the e30 I'd take out for a drive if simply driving was what I wanted to do.

So the e30 it is for me.

After own(ing) all of them, I dis-liked the e36 the most. The e30 is the most fun to drive and great for some slow fun. The e46 is by far the most stable at speed however lacks feeling to the road due to the flyby wire throttle and steering geubo/damper. The interior of an e46 is just a nicer place to be. (im talking leather versions)

What do I prefer the most. I would have to say the e46 just because as a daily vehicle the interior for me becomes the thing that matters most, in auckland traffic that is.

E30 facelift is king of 3series I dont like the pre facelifts at all even with tech 1 just dont do it for me my 2c (not bein bias i have owned both)

Still i love the driving the 328i more, but prefer to look at my old 89 325i m-sport champane in colour :wub:

had a e30 318 an 2 x 320i had e36 318is and 320i

e36 all day every day

The E36 is SO boring to look at. And way too many of them are 'chav' spec.

I would upgrade to an e36 of same grade given the opportunity. I would then sell it straight away, but the E30 back and have made 1000 odd dollars.

But one cannot argue with the fact that the e36 has a nicer interior, more modern.

Bet this thread gets closed.

Bet this thread gets closed.

Hopefully not :) good old opinions and debate is fine :) I'm sure everyone is mature enough to keep it that way.

Why would it??

I wouldn’t say the E36 was boring, I for one really like its lines, they are very clean and un fussed. The E36 was heralded as the best car in its class and the M3 version was ground breaking and highly regarded, it’s not like we are comparing the E30 to rubbish.

I started it more in response to Crockett saying most people drive E30’s because they can’t afford E36’s (even though they are similar priced) and would “upgrade†given the chance.

Thought it was funny and judging by the poll it is.

Edited by Apex

e36 is boring ?

standard e30 ...........rude except m325i m styled tourings m3 cars

o yeh e30 interior .............. yuck cracked dash boring

rust+e30 sounds right

lets play hahahaha

i find it interesting that alot of people think the e36 is boring, the shape and lines of the coupe make it one of the best looking cars around in my opinion, and the reason i bought one and paid a bit more cash for it over a jap car.

in saying that i would own a mint modified e30

A completely pointless argument IMO, they're both fantastic cars and everyone is going to have personal preferences. But here's my opinion... Having owned an e30 320i last year while my M3 was getting done I was more than happy to get back into the M3, but I'll definably own an e30 M3 one day. The biggest problem is that E36's have become cheapened by the large amount of them on the street, half wearing fake M3 badges and the rest bearing horrid modifications. I'm tempted to sell up and get an e39 M5 because of it. BMW screwed up the e36 in a few ways, offering motorsport kits on non-m3's and not making the M3 visually different (i.e no wide body >_<). But at the end of the day they're both excellent and incomparable, I'd like to have both e30 and e36 M3's.

I started it more in response to Crockett saying most people drive E30’s because they can’t afford E36’s (even though they are similar priced) and would “upgrade†given the chance.

Thought it was funny and judging by the poll it is.

Well, I guess the poll has pwnd me but it still seems illogical. Having owned both, I agree they are good cars but the E36 took the good parts from the E30 and modernised it. The E46 evolved from the E36 etc.

I mean, would you rather have an E39 or E34 than your current 545i? I don't think so...

E36 is boring for me mainly because there are so many around, everyone from young chaps to grannies drives one. I respect people who drive them because they are a good car but alot of seem to get them just to be posers compared to other BMW's, they look modern and are cheap.

For me if just depends on what you want in a car, no doubt E36 is alot quieter, handles better, more power etc ie better for a daily, but as many have mentioned not as fun as the E30.

Looks are subjective but for me an a nicely done up E30 looks far better than any E36 ive ever seen. Stock for stock E36 is probably a bit better thou.

PBOY: My E30 has no cracked dash or rust and build quality is very good compared to some E36's ive seen