Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road Legal Track Car on a Budget

just wait round on trademe for a while, somthing is bound to come up after a few months

took 3 months for my 325i to come up :)

^ Yeah there are a couple on there atm, but are to nice to chop up. Will keep my eyes peeled.

We just fitted a medium case LSD 373:1 diff & 325 MS axles in a E36 M42 Getrag 250 for Roshen, a BS member. Thats the ratio you should go for..... just road tested it 3,200 RPM @ 100kph... I'd like it a bit lower than that

Edited by *Glenn*

^ Okay I will keep that in mind, cheers.

Still not 100% on whether I will do a m42 swap, seems to be the easiest plug in and play option and is enough of a refined set up for me after a m40 1.6.

Been reading up on m42club.com and there are many different combos, obviously being a student bang for bucks is high on priority list.

Also with the car having done about 200km in the last 8 months I am kinda keen to get it out having some fun on the track asap, so ease of conversion is a biggie too.

Edited by Forrest

I got a 3.91 slip diff that you can have. its a shame I live in Auckland tho

Edited by Jamez

I got a 3.91 slip diff that you can have. its a shame I live in Auckland tho

I'll "have" it

Edited by *Glenn*

I'll "have" it

you can have it if you can source me some coupe seats for cheap :P

Nathan can have it for nothing :)

you can have it if you can source me some coupe seats for cheap :P

Nathan can have it for nothing :)

I threw 2 in the bin a few months ago because no one wanted them :(

Anything else you might need ??

Edited by *Glenn*

Well nearly got the driveshaft all back together last night.

Have decided to postpone an engine transplant at this stage, got important running races coming up so training is going through the roof atm so don't have time or cash for that matter.

Am just going to revitalise the m40 for minimal cost, so do the replacement cam, a few gaskets, adjust the tappets, new cambelt and see where we end up. Maybe even a cheeky chip if the exchange rate plays the game.

Still on track for a early June track debut.

Pictures to come.

Early june? How about late May? reckon u could make the 31st? :P

Its pretty much a whole month, cant be that hard ;)

^ I would be dreaming (nearly).

Car is all good to go bar motor work.

But still havn't got harnesses (don't need them, but really want to sort them b4 I drive it in anger), logbook, licence, overalls, helmet etc etc

Wana test it at my Dad's track day before getting into the seriousness of the Intermarques.

Guess will just see how things pan out.

Got the car all back together tonight.

Just needs some fine tuning.

Is a zillion times better without the clunking from the rear end ^_^

Seems to pull heaps better with the new computer in it and urethane subframe bushes, just need to save for a chip now :ph34r:

Off for a wheel alignment this week and various other goodies.

Things to do before the start of June:

- Buy Urethane Front and Rear Sway Bar Mounts

- Buy Front Braided Brake Lines

- Buy 320mm Dished Suede Wheel

- Buy 325i Front Sway Bar

- Get Gauges back together

- Wheel Alignment

- Fix Exhaust Mount

Been brainstorming all night, ideas/thoughts been swishing in my head, had to write them somewhere :D

This 'budget' monster never ends :wacko: guess there is worse things I could spend my money on.

- Nathan

Edited by Forrest

I could sell you the front lines out of the kit of 6 braided lines I'll most likely be getting? Depending if they are all LTSA approved.

Budget price too :D

I could sell you the front lines out of the kit of 6 braided lines I'll most likely be getting? Depending if they are all LTSA approved.

Budget price too :D

^PM'd

my best advice to you is get in on the road with the motor it has got. enjoy it how it is and then decide what your going to do motor wise. once you start racing it you will have a better idea of what you want. and your car wont be off the road so long

This 'budget' monster never ends :wacko:

Lol whats a budget Nath? that word is no longer in my dictionary :rolleyes:

guess there is worse things I could spend my money on.

- Nathan

I used to have a gf once lol :unsure:

Edited by Boost Junky

^ Ha Luke I have a gf now and the car...feeling the pinch already ^_^

Not much to update, have been collecting the above parts for a few weeks now, pics to come when said packages arrive in the mail and can be fitted to the car.

Want this 99% done for the Wellington BS Cruise on June 1st.

Also in the process of finding a certifier in Wellington to help me work out how and where to mount harnesses in my non caged car. If anyone has any suggestions??

It has been such a long time coming, but if I have learn't anything while I have been transforming this, is if it is a job worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Edited by Forrest

^ Ha Luke I have a gf now and the car...feeling the pinch already ^_^

Haha uh oh...

Im gonna be down not this weekend but the next so might have to come check the beast out B)

Haha uh oh...

Im gonna be down not this weekend but the next so might have to come check the beast out B)

Haha sh*t better get it rollllllin then.

Keep me posted if your down these ways son.

Haha sh*t better get it rollllllin then.

Keep me posted if your down these ways son.

Haha yea get hard at it man.. theres some motivation for ya! :rolleyes:

Since I should be writing uni assignments due tomorrow and am a pro at procrastination I thought I would add a small update with some pics.

Have modded a last couple things to tighten up the important bits of the car (brakes and suspension) and then essentially everything is modified in that respect up enough to handle the m50/m52 swap I want to do in the summer holidays :wub:

- Fatter Front Sway Bar (325i) with new Nolathane bushes. Thanks Ian (Hartage) and BNT respectively.

- New Braided Front Brake Hoses in Hawt Red. Thanks Mossrax in Wellington, $120 for the pair.

- Brand new Rear Sway Bar (325i) with new Nolathane Bushes. Trade me - $33 shipped = mega win bargain of the century.

- New Braided Rear Brake Hoses in Clear/Yellow. Thanks Jon (JiB).

Here are some pics of said bling, bling bits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Am now awaiting one of these from NZKW http://www.nzkw.com/steering/IMG_4152.jpg, rebleed the brakes, rewire the gauges and can get a wheel alignment, get safety gear and fit harnesses, licence etc and we will be ready to race. Have a casual track day at Manfield on the 14th so will be the first test of how it goes, then will be able to have above said safety gear fitted, new camshaft and lifters all ready and legit for the July 15th Intermarques :D

Also Dad told me to stop "fiddling/modifying it" so no more tweaking till I see how it goes hahaha. My bank account will thank me for it :lol:

Edited by Forrest

oooooo m50 :) looks like your car is coming along nice! what difference do braided lines make?