Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Holy Shyte

This morning I drove down my drive to have a go at a few magpies & pukekos that are giving the native birds a bit of sh*t. And the native birds , pheasants & quails will have chicks soon.

1 Shot.... Magpie

2 Shot.... Pukeko

3 Shot.... Pukeko

4 Shot........... "BANG" :o"f**k"

Got hit in the hand when my gun exploded...... I'm OK though.. I had thick sleeved overhauls on... just a small cut to my wrist

This also happened to my brother in law...we both have the same guns... his got fixed about 2 years ago...I've had mine for about 3.5 years

I pick up all the pieces and head off to the place I bought it from and find out its a common problem & my rifle should have been recalled....... I am not a happy chappy... I dont want the fuken thing anymore.

Anyway the resolution is to give me a new gun fitted into the old woodstock...the fault being a mixture of callibre, magazine, loading mechanism and chamber locking

The guys who now own the gun shop were really great and offered all the info & help straight up

The calliber also changes from .17 to .2 calliber

The rifle is a Remington .17 Magnum

So next week I should be getting it back with the .2 calliber upgrade that eliminates the design faults

Scared sh*t out of me and the point is...it could have killed me or someone standing next to me

What really pisses me off though..is the previous owners of the gun shop never informed me of the recall and my brother inlaws gun should never have been "fixed"

Will see what happens ;)

I thought Pukeko are Native!! What are Pukekos going to do to pheasant and quails? I save Pukeko daily and feed them up, their own babies are so cute!

glad your ok . man if you where in the usa you could sue the pants off them

I thought Pukeko are Native!! What are Pukekos going to do to pheasant and quails? I save Pukeko daily and feed them up, their own babies are so cute!

Pukekos are barstards even tho they are native...they eat the quial, pheasant and duckling chicks. We also have very rare native frogs on the property and they eat them too. I hate the friggen things...they also wake me up at night

We have heaps of Tui's, Pidgeons, Owls etc and the Magpies attack these and kill the youg birds

Edited by *Glenn*

There's a Pukeko shooting season, not sure when it is, everyone just shoots them anyway. One made a bit of a mess to the front of the e30, so their not in my good books either.

What sort of rifle was it?

Good to see your alright Glenn.

Edited by antony

Good to hear you're OK Glenn.

Never forget Paul Olsen hitting a pukeko at 180k's down the back straight at Pukekohe, cut the thing in half, and dinged up the E30. :P

Similar thing happened to my mate with his Stirling bolt action 17 HMR. I think it was more to do with the hot ammo than anything, the case ruptured upto firing damaging the bolt.

He took it back to the shop and they repaired it for free.

Heaps of pukes,magpies and plovers where i live but the.204 turns them into feathers real good :D

Yeh would have been sh*t scary

You are allowed to shoot pukekoh's but I think only in duck shooting season. I shoot the bastards anyway because they are such a pain!

Wow also glad your not hurt from that Glenn. Lucky by the sounds of things.

Also not a fan of those stupid Keke's. Bloody things use to rip in to my rubbish bags and spread it everywhere when I lived in Botany. Botany Downs is just full of them. If you lived over the other side of Ti Irangi where that estery is Shelly you would soon loose your like for them.

Bugger, I think that would have made you jump... You'll find pukekos aren't welcome on a few farms too, the pricks stomp up and down silage stacks, tearing great big holes in the covers. As far as I know though, they aren't protected- heard some maori chef on the radio the other day, he reckoned they were quite tasty :P

There's a Pukeko shooting season, not sure when it is, everyone just shoots them anyway. One made a bit of a mess to the front of the e30, so their not in my good books either.

What sort of rifle was it?

Good to see your alright Glenn.

The rifle is a Remington .17 Magnum

I'm just glad that nothing else hapened, just scared me.....you are meant to be able to trust a firearm

I've used Armourlites, AK47, SLR, 308, 9mm, 30 cal & 50 cal and never ever had something like this happen before

I'll be looking forward to getting the replacement

Edited by *Glenn*

I also thought Remington was a very trusted brand. Been around long enough.

Only guns I have fired is a 308, and a modern .22. Dad use to be the Nelson Boys rifle captin but for some reason never got me into it. Loved target shooting in Scouts and Cubs when i was little though.

I guess looking on the bright side it was only a .17 that exploded. Imagine if it was a 357 or something, the result would have been much worse.

In saying that, using a 357 or a 303 or something else large would be MUCH more fun when the bullet hits a Pukeko :)

- heard some maori chef on the radio the other day, he reckoned they were quite tasty :P

I had an 18yo Maori boy on the staff for awhile who used to bring leftover pukeko to work for lunch. I was never game to try it.

I know an old recipe for pukko stew:

Pluck and gut the bird.

Place in a large pot on the stove. Add carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, water and a large smooth river stone.

Boil for two days.

Throw out the soup and eat the rock.

We keep the numbers down at our place as well. For all the reasons Glenn says plus they sh*t everywhere and if they sh*t in stock troughs it can make the cattle sick.

It only takes a few days of hitting them hard and we don't see them for a few weeks. Took a walk up the back stream one day to see if they were nesting.

There was about 30 of the f**kers hiding out on the neighbours dam. At least I know where they are breeding now, but can't do much about it because the neighbour is a city farmer and likes them.

Managed to get two with one shot the other day with the shotty.

All sorted now. My Remington .17 magnum is now a .22 magnum

Rebuilt by Remington Agents thanks to Ben Staessens @ Hunting & Fishing in Takanini which is now under new management. Great guys to deal with and very proffessional.

The old management never sent me a recall notice :angry:

All done at no cost

Now I've just got to sight the scope and laser in again with the aid of the freebie targets

WATCH OUT PUK's & MAGPIES !!!!! :wub:

Stayed on a hunting lodge out of national park .. They had a massive problem with magpies in the vally there were literally 30-40 of them ! .. We set traps and managed to get 6 of em. First time Ive had to break somethings neak ... wasn't pleasant.

Used to think Pukeko were quite funny, with their big feet and long legs, but not long after we moved into our new house we had a home invasion by about a dozen of the F@#kers! Made a bit of mess before I realised and shoo-ed them out the garage.

Shame we are in the city boundary or I would have popped a few....

...don't even get me started on Magpies, Evil B@stards, fill like going and popping a few right now, hand me the 12 gauge Smithers <_< !!

Glad you are all OK and the rifle is fixed though Glenn, can you find where the previous owner went??

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Glad you are all OK and the rifle is fixed though Glenn, can you find where the previous owner went??

Yep...alls well....don't know about the previous owner...I'm not going to persue that... I dont have time... If there was more to it I would though