Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

New Northern Motorway/SH1 tunnel behind Orewa

Guest Simon*

Well boys and girls

It's just opened today and it's free for these next two days before they start charging you $2 a trip through

Someone get up there tonight or tomorrow night and roar through the thing as loud as you can! Get your mates to video it. My car looooooooooves tunnels, even going through spaghetti junction it sounds absolutely awesome under the overbridges etc.

Someone with a proper exhaust and at least 6 cylinders go do it! Please :)

Someone with proper induction under the bonnet and at least 6 cylinders go do it! Please :)

Fixed :D

I thought it was tomorrow, or did they feel the guilt as the traffic was so sh*t at Orewa and open it today?

I'm doing it tomorrow on the way to Pukekohe. Yeehah! The new 2.7 ringing out the tunnel!

Ha sweet, will be up there next weekend :D

I'm doing it tomorrow on the way to Pukekohe. Yeehah! The new 2.7 ringing out the tunnel!

I saw you coming north last weekend cant remember where,

But your E30 Cab looks awesome.

Im gonna try the tunnel out on the way down south tomorrow,

Sick sounding M40 :lol:

Well, allow me to be the first to report on the motorway extension and tunnel.

Came down this morning on my way to Puke, about 8:00, no traffic, tunnel is pretty short,but sounds great with the roof down on the 'vert. Opportunist Plod was there already "saving lives" with a radar gun and a ticket book.

Then I came home again at about 2:00.

The road was gridlocked solid.

Question:

Who is the d*ck head who thought it would be a great idea to open the road on the busiest traffic weekend in the year for that particular stretch of road between Albany and Warkworth with a "no tolls today" day?

Every freakin Flanders family in the country decided to load little Nigel and Samantha in the back of the family wagon, and go have a look at the new road!

It's a road, people! It is black with a white line, and it has a couple of bridges. Oh, and there's a tunnel. If your kids need to see a tunnel, take them for a drive and get them to close their eyes for a few seconds. Or perhaps take them for a drive when it's dark! It's pretty much the same! Oh, and it doesn't sound any good in your Enima.

Surely this would have been the weekend when the geniuses who make all the really big decisions should have charged 5 bucks instead of 2, to DISCOURAGE every freakin Chariot and Previa and whatever else from going for a drive to look at a freakin road.

Go take a look on Thursday. Or Tuesday night. After all the traffic from people who just want to get home, or away to their bach at Omaha, or whatever, have done that. And after they've all gone back to work next week. The road will still be there.

So I went the old slow way around, round the goat track that up until last night was SH1 through Hatfields and Waiwera.

And it was gridlocked.

And the passing lane has come to a standstill, so the decent, considerate drivers just form a line and wait in a queue, except for the dip sticks wearing their floppy sunhats and listening to the Wiggles who see an empty passing lane and think that it's ok for them to race up it and try to push in at the top, further congesting traffic.

So the new road? It's fine. But the inevitable result will simply be that the congestion that brought traffic to a standstill around Orewa will now bring it to a standstill around Puhoi. Unless someone has the kahoonies to get the next bit built ASAP - right up to and past Warkworth.

But of course that won't happen. We'll have several years of Govt depts applying to Govt depts for consents and being stalled every step of the way by consultants and sandel wearing bearded Ones. And their spineless husbands. Just like this particular stretch was stalled for a couple of years by an objection form a wierdo in Coromandel who was concerned about frogs. Anywhere else they'd feed the frogs to the wierdos then make them dig the freekin road by hand. But it would get done.

Aah well, Puke was great, good to meet some of you guys. See you again sometime if I can be shagged attempting to drive on our pitiful motorway network.

I feel a bit better now.......

Edited by Ross

Another example of NZ building 'new' infrustructure 20yrs too late.

Its just moving NZ's largest carpark further North, I mean, how many people out of the thousands will go to Orewa for there holidays?

If your kids need to see a tunnel, take them for a drive and get them to close their eyes for a few seconds.

ROFL Hard out!

And the passing lane has come to a standstill, so the decent, considerate drivers just form a line and wait in a queue, except for the dip sticks wearing their floppy sunhats and listening to the Wiggles who see an empty passing lane and think that it's ok for them to race up it and try to push in at the top, further congesting traffic.

Massive hate for those people. When I see people doing that I drive in the passing lane doing 10kph and hold them up even longer!

Good post BTW

my car would sound good in there...eh martyn?

Oh yeah

almost as good as the 7 :P

Edited by Penry

down here on long weekends he "considerate motorists all form an orderly queue right in the middle of the road to block the f**kwits

You're a funny bugger Ross! and wise too. If you don't mind back roads, turn off at Waiwera township, head under the old SH 1 and follow them out to Dairy Flat and Silverdale.

Its a bit further, and no tunnels, but you miss the motoring madness on the main road.

Woohoo 1 hour and 45 minutes this afternoon. I am so thankful I wasnt in an e30. people were almost literally fighting for carparks on the side of the motorway with steam billowing out of their bonnets. It was literally a third lane for overheaters. If the signs say use the old highway USE IT god damn I wish I had. I was trapped and I couldnt escape, I wanted to punch myself in the face and in my nose and eyes and ears and bash my head on the steering wheel and pillar and wind my window up on my fingers and slice my fingers open on those annoying plastic covers with the really sharp edges underneith the seat. GARRRR Those enima's trying to do u-turns at the otherside of the tunnel into the gridlocked traffic heading back towards Orewa.

And motorbikes god damn freaking motorbikes. I am usually quite respectful of motorbikes as I roam the streets on a scooter and know it is hell out there, but god dammit not today. I had a truck and trailer unit in front of me and another one beside him in the left hand lane, taking up most of the lane as trucks tend to do. The motorbikes come zooming up in the middle of the two lanes get beside me almost taking my side mirrors off and can't get past the 2 trucks so what do they do.... they get on their horns..... MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP f**kING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Your in my lane twat face beeeping your horn right in my ear, your obviously not going to get between the trucks and come out the other side alive try go on the outside of one of them but noooooooo they just sit there beeeeeeeeeeeeeeping their high pitched horns continuosly to the point I was going to explode so inevitably to shut them up I take command of my lane again and try and sandwich the f**kahs into the car next to me who is doing the exact same thing as I am doing at a pace of about 0.000275km/h like everyother retard who didnt turn off like the sign said to do.

then FINALLY out the otherside and the motorbikes fighting their way through the gridlocked traffic heading the other way zooming up the queue on my side of the road into traffic head on and are trying to get back up to highway speed, I wanted to punch them in the face.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST MY NUMBER ONE MOST HATED HIGHWAY DRIVING CRIME - THESE DRIVERS NEED TO BE SHOT.. travelling at 50 f**king km an hour along a clear straight highway no cars ahead of them, get to a corner and BRAKE dropping down to almost idle speed. I'm sure the lady in the brand new honda accord was the reason why i had just sat in an hour and 45 minutes worth of traffic.

I will NEVER take that tunnel north ever again. I will continue the fun enjoyable drive around the big windy hills, just like how life used to be with hopefully a few less dickheads who will be busy fighting against all the over heating enima's on the greatest motorway upgrade since man started wiping his ass with toilet paper. If there happens to be traffic that way, oh well never mind its how its always been and its still free.

OOOOooh thats such an angry post I need to go to sleep I am grumpy.

Edited by melowpuf

Haha Lance you crack me up!

One would ask the question, why the f**k do we not have a proper highway the length of the country from the outset?

2 would ask, who (40 years ago) thought we should have one?

3 would ask, who (40 years ago) was responsible for one not being built.

Insight people, prediction, learning from others, foresight. Why does this country lack in this????

Story goes Ollie...

Way back in WW2 the US army engineers stationed or holidaying here were bored, so they offered to build a 4 lane highway from Auckland to Welly.

We said no thanks...

Lance, when ever your out my way your so calm and collected.

maybe you should chance your name from mellowpuff to angrypuff ^_^

annoying though.

Our jails are full....put them in chains and give them shovels :P

Haha Lance you crack me up!

One would ask the question, why the f**k do we not have a proper highway the length of the country from the outset?

2 would ask, who (40 years ago) thought we should have one?

3 would ask, who (40 years ago) was responsible for one not being built.

Insight people, prediction, learning from others, foresight. Why does this country lack in this????

As a nation we have put welfare ahead of investment in infrastructure (metaphorically feeding a man instead of teaching him to fish).

We have a resource management act which allows any idiot to stop major infrastructure projects.

We are too politically correct and stop contruction while Taniwhas are asked nicely to move along.

We spend vast amounts of money appeasing the decendants of people who got ripped off 150 years ago.

We had a government that had to appease the greens to stay in power.

Towns don't want their precious main streets and businesses bypassed.

Guest Spottswoode

Story goes Ollie...

Way back in WW2 the US army engineers stationed or holidaying here were bored, so they offered to build a 4 lane highway from Auckland to Welly.

We said no thanks...

Zee Germans didn't say no when Hilter reckoned it woul be a good idea :lol:

Our jails are full....put them in chains and give them shovels :P

Blacktop construction?? :P

They make a mess of roads anyway.

NZ infrastructure is so poor and Ollie i COMPLETELY agree with you..

This whole bypass seems like a big art project rather than a 'useful' road.. I mean they spent 1 mil for every day of the year (around 360 mil all up) just to build a 5.2 km stretch of road with flashy bridges and a tunnel.. Woopdee!!

Edited by ED1RTY