Sign in to follow this  
antony

Best anti-theft devices?

Hey, due to my friends car being stolen recently and our flat being broken into and laptops/ipods being stolen last night, I am now suddenly aware of the scum that are thieves.

I've recently spent ALOT of money on my car, I'm going home this weekend to pick it up and bring it back to Dunedin. And I want to know the best way to make sure it stays in my possession.

What are the best alarms out there?

What are the best way to protect my wheels?

Thanks

Antony.

A good 5-star alarm, and the rest is down to just making it harder, or less attractive. Common sense really.

Thieves are scum as you say, and they'll do anything to pinch something if they think they won't be caught, so if you make it harder for them and make it so they are more likely to get caught, then you'll be sweet.

In the weekend I had to park my MR2 in a public carpark overnight. My g/f wanted to park it down the back where it wouldn't be seen - I said, nope, we're parking it in the most obvious, well lit, "I'm here, steal me" spot we can in full view of the main road. Few thieves will be bold enough to pinch something in full view, but hide it down the back where they can take their time and you are asking for trouble.

Got there in the morning to find I hadn't closed the boot properly. Nothing had been touched including CD's etc in the boot. Lucky - yes, but might have had something to do with it being in such a visible location - no thief bothered to even take a look.

A big black guy named Ben.

Sorted.

2 big dogs[Neopolitan Mastiff/Hungry Rottweiler].Pump Action shotgun. 1 huge spotlight shining on car, or locked in garage .. :ph34r:

Best way to do it is make the car look really plain and have a decent alarm, kill switches etc

- imho....but then again that might not appeal to you.

Also, make sure you get a Tilt sensor with your alarm, so if they try to jack it up to steal the wheels/tow the car then your alarm will go off, and defi itely at least one screamer siren in the cabin (the more the merrier :D)

ive always thought it would be nice to connect the alarm system up to like 10 subs so when the alarm goes off it blows their eardrums up into the windows

but hey that's just me

or get a Dynatron 5 star alarm, the convertible i'm selling has got one and its almost too good, its got a infared sensor that senses when something is too close then goes off, means you can leave the top down and just putting your hand where the roof would be sets it off

I have a BlackHawk system in my car. Its a GPS tracking system. When the car is stolen you can hop online, and view exactly where the cars location is. It also texts me when my car is turned on or if it has moved. Then after this works, you round up the boys and devices that cause damage and pay them a visit.

I have a BlackHawk system in my car. Its a GPS tracking system. When the car is stolen you can hop online, and view exactly where the cars location is. It also texts me when my car is turned on or if it has moved. Then after this works, you round up the boys and devices that cause damage and pay them a visit.

haha sounds like youve got it sorted

Edited by Jamez

Even putting a flashing LED in the console would deter some thieves...a simple no entrusive way of 'security' and cheap.

Im sure there was a thread about this ^ a while back

And there's the good old wheel locks, bonus is most of these will pay your insurance excess if it is stolen (if you have insurance)

or get a Dynatron 5 star alarm, the convertible i'm selling has got one and its almost too good, its got a infared sensor that senses when something is too close then goes off, means you can leave the top down and just putting your hand where the roof would be sets it off

Thanks guys, what would a sytem like this cost? (including instulation)

An eye for an eye? What a good system.

Oh look - another minaret...

Thanks guys, what would a sytem like this cost? (including instulation)

Dynatron with those extras would be around $700+ installed, but if you don't have a cabby, then $500-600 installed without infrared option. (approx)

The black hawk system is $1500-2000 from memory plus annual fees, plus you pay for each text.

Remember with an alarm, go to a reputable installer. The quality of the install is more important than the alarm as a poorly installed alarm is easy to bypass.

It was also tested by bimmersport early on. They came to a Botany Motor Worx do, and the product is good by all accounts.

I know this sounds really stupid. But my first defense was moving to a good neighbourhood. The two times my car has been broken into its been in bad or average neighbourhoods.

Next would be parking the car in sensible locations.

After that everyones always suggested alarms, I would look into maybe a GPS alarm if you value your car that much. Of do what ive done and run a GSM based alarm. I get texted anytime its moved etc etc.

Things after that would be a wheel clamp / steering lock bar.

For your house install video cameras. Logitech do a nice one that plugs directly into the power socket and works over the power wires in the house as a network. Works online too to upload the pictures / video once your house in broken into. So even if they steal it. They have already been recorded.

Its all about deterrants mainly. If someone really wants your sh*t, they will take it.

haha antony got robbed. people dont seem to be stealing wheels so much any more, locknuts do the trick. for the car, steal the coil every night, the c**ts will have to bring their own if they want your car haha. on the skyline i disconnect the fuel pump in the boot, takes 5 seconds. alarms are a nuisance, usually cost more than your window/lock would anyway (unless you have serious car audio)