Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

4x4's

My 4x4 experience is somewhat limited, but I am keen to learn more about them and anticipate buying one sometime this year. I don't really know what I'm after, I just want to be able to drive over sh*t, tow and launch boats and cars easily. I've given up on trying to keep a 15 year old car in pristine (luxury) condition, and would prefer to have use of a more practical rugged vehicle that I can properly explore and enjoy this country with.

At this point I can see it being the daily unless something convinces me that it is worth paying a second set of insurance, maintenance and registration bills. For example If I had an 318 E30 daily plus the 4x4 for weekends I would be pretty happy. So depending on what the outcome is i guess the criteria for the vehicle would be different, for example for a daily comfort, reliability and fuel economy are important where as they are not so important for a weekend utility vehicle.

So I guess what i am asking is, what do you recommend for both scenarios?

considering some of the bargains out there currently lets work on a budget less than 12k

Something that needs some minor work could be ok or a bit of a do up project is kind of cool too.

it would have to have some grunt - i.e no less than 2500cc, it would have to be manual.

Why do some people not like hilux surfs?

what are parts like for land rovers? and range rovers?

I'm keen to learn anything and everything about 4x4's, links are all good.

The early Hilux Surfs with either V6 or diesel are so slow you won't believe it. I always had to recheck the handbrake when driving a diesel. For a V6, allow 1-1.5kms of straight road to overtake 1 car doing 90km/h. Plus the V6 had a tendency to do head gaskets. The later 3 litre diesels may be OK.

A Discovery will make you sea sick on corners and broke, a Rangie, probably just broke.

I'd try and find a 3 dr Prado, '96-2000, manual diesel.

I do like the Prados, hard to find good ones for under 12k but not impossible. Why do you say 3 door? personal preference? I think i'd prefer the extra space a 5 door would offer.

Also similar is the Nissan Patrol which i quite like, any thoughts on those?

ollie i would have to suggest a Isuzu Bighorn

they have lotus handling, so their pretty quick round corners, will go all day, have reasonable 4x4 capabilities, good on fuel, my dads getting 600-700km on a tank of diesel which is like $60-$80ish

they tow great, was towing 3tonne (tire stacks for hampton downs :P the trailer was not happy ) on my dads and its held up, maybe a tad slow up hills but still quicker than a diesel surf :)

you can come have a looksee at my dads if your keen to see what they can do.

Edited by Jamez

I'd go the Prado....long wheel base for towing double axle trailers with race cars or boats though. 3 door short wheel base are not as stable on the road or panic braking

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-212690106.htm - pretty cool bighorn

it seems the bighorns are the best value for money.

The Nissan Patrols are too expensive.

Can anyone give pro's and cons of the prado vs bighorn. Long wheel base, although not great for off roading, a necessity for towing.

3 dr for price only. I've always liked Patrols, but they seem to have huge mileages and most of the (early) ones I've looked at have had rust. The Safari 2.8 diesel is a known dud.

Bighorns are not as easy to work on and the cost of spare parts is much higher. The Prado's are more reliable as well

I wouldnt go anywhere near a Landrover or Rangerover.... you'll be broke in 12 months

Edited by *Glenn*

ollie i would have to suggest a Isuzu Bighorn

they have lotus handling, so their pretty quick round corners, will go all day, have reasonable 4x4 capabilities, good on fuel, my dads getting 600-700km on a tank of diesel which is like $60-$80ish

they tow great, was towing 3tonne (tire stacks for hampton downs :P the trailer was not happy ) on my dads and its held up, maybe a tad slow up hills but still quicker than a diesel surf :)

you can come have a looksee at my dads if your keen to see what they can do.

The ones with Lotus suspension had good handling.

My suggestions as a car dealer.

1. Put any thoughts of Landrover completely out of your mind (unless you have just won Lotto)

2. Forget any 2.8ltr Toyota diesel. They are notorious for blowing head gaskets and warping the heads. Because of this you simply cannot buy good second hand heads and a new one costs well over $1,000.00.

3. Although the Bighorn is a reasonable vehicle for the price, it is still a "poor man's" 4X4. They are not the best offroader, they tend to rust, but parts are readily available.

4. The Nissan Patrol/Safari is one of the best 4X4's to come out of Japan. I used to sell them new in Australia and one of the major selling points was that they were the off road vehicle of choice of the major mining and construction businesses because of their ruggedness.

5, The Toyota Prado would be the vehicle that I would recommend. They are a very strong vehicle, not exactly a great off roader, but a reasonable one. The 3.0ltr turbo diesel is a magnificent motor which has tons of torque and accellerates almost as well as an equivalent petrol engine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Brian, that is great advice.

I have been reading up on the Prado and the 3.0l diesel is constantly raved about.

So what do you people think about ditching the 540i for a Toyota Prado? ....

this is out of you price range but for anyone interested in what a BMW 4x4 can do have a look at this vid , its really quite amazing ....Linky

Edited by Jamez

this is out of you price range but for anyone interested in what a BMW 4x4 can do have a look at this vid , its really quite amazing really ....Linky

holy crap!

Im a Hilux Surf man trough and trough, growing up the olds had four or five of them and I learnt to drive in a 5-speed 3.0L TDI.. learnt to drift also.

Can’t go wrong with a Prado though, the olds looked at both when purchasing the last Surf (back in 1995 they had the first newer shape Surf to come into NZ) they had and opted for the Surf purely because it was more car like to drive with independent front suspension and less weight, the Prado is more rugged and most likely has a better towing rating as an upside.

I owned a Nissan Safari (SWB) 4.2LD for the best part of a year.

Great off-road vehicle.. Like previously mentioned they are very tough & rigid when offroad and I didn't find it too bad on the tarmac. Would recommend a 4.2LD turbo as you get a bit more kick from the turbo and nice pulling power if you take it to the beach.

Probably a bit on the $$ side but it looks a nice example:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-208792789.htm

Laurence

I just test drove a 3.0 TDi Prado, Automatic. I was impressed with the responsiveness of the diesel motor.

The ride on the road was a bit rigid but not too bad. Everything else as i expected from a toyota.

I just need to find a manual to drive

What are the Mitsubishi Pajeros like?

this one for example seems like a bloody cheap deal? They appear to be mitsubishis version of the prado, well actually the prado was in response to the pajero as far as i'm aware.

I just test drove a 3.0 TDi Prado, Automatic. I was impressed with the responsiveness of the diesel motor.

The ride on the road was a bit rigid but not too bad. Everything else as i expected from a toyota.

I just need to find a manual to drive

What are the Mitsubishi Pajeros like?

this one for example seems like a bloody cheap deal? They appear to be mitsubishis version of the prado, well actually the prado was in response to the pajero as far as i'm aware.

Fail :P its got to be the Prado Ollie...much more reliable and cheaper to maintain

One that hasn't been mention (proberly for a good reason) is the Nissan Mistral, for the love of god don't go there! Bits fall off, motor leaks oil worse than a sive. I think that's spelt wrong but you get the picture.

And they are just slow!

Edit: Diesel Pajeros also leak alot of oil.

Edited by Greg.

Don't be a pussy Ollie

Prados are for housewives! Get yourself a VX Landcruiser and sh*t on all of them :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-206913609.htm

That pretty much is a prado, it's NZ new and it's older with a larger engine to guzzle more gas.

Guest Simon*

That pretty much is a prado, it's NZ new and it's older with a larger engine to guzzle more gas.

Don't let the 4WD Gods hear you call a Landcruiser a Prado! Prados are watered down versions of these :D

Ollie, check out this manual Prado. It is on the North Shore.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-205758923.htm

If you like it and want to buy it then contact me and I will see if I can get it at wholesale rates. (dealer to dealer price)

As for Mitsubishi's one word, DON"T!