Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

4x4's

Much cooler!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/T...n-212016209.htm

10 billion times kooler! - imagine rocking up to the track with this towing the racecar!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/T...n-203259161.htm

If you were gonna do that then may as well do this instead.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-212107956.htm

Nah... half-track is much cooler....

But how do you drive on the road without the tracks eating it?

But how do you drive on the road without the tracks eating it?

The tracks are not the same as a bulldozer. I drove APC's in the army (tank commander) they dont damage tarseal roads. They have rubberised inserts to prevent this happening.

I'd luv to buy my old APC... it was 98A in the NZ armoured squadron

What are the Mitsubishi Pajeros like?

this one for example seems like a bloody cheap deal? They appear to be mitsubishis version of the prado, well actually the prado was in response to the pajero as far as i'm aware.

Being half sensible for a minute, I just bought one of these for towing the race car, taking to the beach and getting it stuck in the mud.

Main reason I got one is that it was the best I could afford at just over $3k, not much else to choose from. But it is NZ new, 5 Speed Manual (the autos are 3 speed and slow as) and the 2.8 ltr intercooled diesel (forget the 2.5ltr), 7 seater,and everything on it still worked and had been well serviced. Got switchable 2/4WD and locking diffs, so fairly useable off road.

I think they are cheap as they have a poor reputation for blowing head gaskets (maintenance??) and Mitsis are not well thought of for reliability full stop. Seemed to me to be much more truck for the money.

If you have about 12k to spend then you could get a good condition later model with the 3.2ltr diesel, which is an even better vehicle from what I have heard.

Everyone will have their own favourites, at the end of the day its down to personal choice and what you want to do with it, personally I would say have a daily, and then a truck for the week-ends. Otherwise you end up with a compromise vehicle.

Good luck with the search...

^^^^^^

Thats very true....horses for coarses

I've had a Nissan Patrol.... Pathfinder and now an Xtrail... the Xtrail was purchased for the reason of towing a light trailer and eventually a 18' alloy boat to go fishing...it serves its purpose for the intended use.

Edit: I would not tow a race car around with it

Edited by *Glenn*

Try this one on for size sir...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-202191071.htm

Not sure if you wanted a diesel or not, this is a petrol V6 one. Cheaper Rego and no RUC, but not so economical.

Cheer Jon.

A pajero at less than half the price of a prado of similar condition is a tempting option. Yes it may not be quite as reliable etc but while it is working it will do the same job as a prado would. It's something to consider. I will have a drive of one and see what i think of them

Cheer Jon.

A pajero at less than half the price of a prado of similar condition is a tempting option. Yes it may not be quite as reliable etc but while it is working it will do the same job as a prado would. It's something to consider. I will have a drive of one and see what i think of them

Honestly... I think you'll be disapointed Ollie

Edit: Take the race car on the trailer with you and try it

Edited by *Glenn*

One word "PRADO" it's the only way to go.

My wife did a 100k in 2 years and all I had to do was change the oil!!

It was 96 Jappa brought with 70k on the clock and sold at 170K total deprecation was $3000.

Do the maths :D

Now you can see why they are bit more expensive. They don't loose value.

Autos are fine, the 5spd is no quicker by the time you change all those gears. :wacko:

Also remember that under the current emission rules they can no longer be imported.

I'm a fan of the older Jeeps, can pick up a decent one for 3 grand these days. They are pretty hard to kill and will deal to most things off road with decent tyres. Only down fall is parts are a bit hard to come by, and usually expensive. They are pretty thirsty (not as bad as my old disco) but will out tow anything this side of an F series diesel. I'd be keen to give the newer model Range Rovers a go but not too sure how the bank balance would hold up with traction contol and air suspension on a 15 year old car (not to mention British).

As for the Jappas, can't go past a Nissan Patrol. Just avoid n/a diesel. Too gutless.

Cheer Jon.

If your in no hurry to buy and can wait until the TACCOC meet after the AGM, I'm assuming you will be there, then you can have a play with mine (ooh, err missus) to see what you think. Should be a few race cars and trailers about to throw on the back of it as well....

One word "PRADO" it's the only way to go.

My wife did a 100k in 2 years and all I had to do was change the oil!!

It was 96 Jappa brought with 70k on the clock and sold at 170K total deprecation was $3000.

Do the maths :D

Now you can see why they are bit more expensive. They don't loose value.

Autos are fine, the 5spd is no quicker by the time you change all those gears. :wacko:

Also remember that under the current emission rules they can no longer be imported.

I found the five speed manual was a lot better to drive than the auto, especially when going off road or towing. The Auto’s in the 3.0ltr TDI surfs are complete cuck, when towing the auto would get very hot very quick and often overheat plus the manual overdrive was frustrating on long tow trips.

I found the five speed manual was a lot better to drive than the auto, especially when going off road or towing. The Auto’s in the 3.0ltr TDI surfs are complete cuck, when towing the auto would get very hot very quick and often overheat plus the manual overdrive was frustrating on long tow trips.

Very different autos Surf to Prado. Surfs trans cooler is built into the the Radiator causes huge over heating problems. Can be fixed with aftermarket trans cooler. Prado already has this.

I killed a surf with this problem (new head best price is from Toyota)

My family bought a new petrol lwb Nissan Patrol way back in 1993. Although I remember it, I was obviously too young to remeber the good points/bad points of it (we sold it in 1999 for a Chevrolet Suburban and regretted it terribly.) But, talking to Mum and Dad, these are the points I can get from them after owning one for a 6 year period.

* Diesels were gutless (Dad thinks the turbo ones hadn't come out then?)

* Being a 4.1litre petrol straight six pushing a 2,800kg brick, it was VERY thirsty. Think $600 a month fuel bills back in 1995 (Gas at .80 a litre) but then Mum was using it as her daily and she did like "the feel of the grunt." I think consumption would have been around 20ish l/100km.

*It was very reliable, nothing apart from regular servicing when we owned it. It is interesting to note that these models regulary reach 400,000km.

*It was relatively quick off the mark, but was sluggish when overtaking, but definately better than an equivilant diesel.

* Dad regrets buying a Manual. The auto (4 speed?) was slow and pretty out-dated.

* It was one of few 4x4s back then to have 7 seats.

* It was an absolutely fantastic offroad capabilities. When we first bought it, we were driving to Wellington and decided to go offroading off the Desert Road and got told up when the army 4x4 finally caught up.

* Tyres (Desert Duelers?) were bloody dear. $500-$600 each.

But it was very, very, VERY cool. (According to Mum anyway :P)

Very different autos Surf to Prado. Surfs trans cooler is built into the the Radiator causes huge over heating problems. Can be fixed with aftermarket trans cooler. Prado already has this.

I killed a surf with this problem (new head best price is from Toyota)

:(

Ah, ok well that’s a different story then, I just assumed they would be the same gearbox and engine.

I have an idea for you Ollie

Charge $50 for Bimmersport membership.... that would finance a relitively new X5 :P

I have an idea for you Ollie

Charge $50 for Bimmersport membership.... that would finance a relitively new X5 :P

haha, what does everyone think about that?

never!

Ollie, my 2c worth, and I hope I don't get flamed for this ....

My Bro in Law always has a 4x4 as a racecar tow vehicle, normally a 100 series Land Cruiser, but last time he changed he tried a Prado.

Hooked the tralier on and was going down a hill, a car pulled out of a driveway, hit the brakes ( not real hard either ) and it locked up and skidded down the hill.

He talked to Toyota, and they said something about the ABS system regarding the four wheels not 'talking to each other' on that model.

He since when back to a full sized Crusier - at the end of the day, it is a good idea to have the tow vehicle heavier than what is is towing - basic physics.

He has a V8 petrol one, and reckons the economy is not a lot different from the diesels he had, all things taken into consideration - plus it pulls like a busload of schoolboys :)

Much larger too, you can carry lots more spares, or 7/8 people in comfort.

Worth a test drive?

Ollie, my 2c worth, and I hope I don't get flamed for this ....

My Bro in Law always has a 4x4 as a racecar tow vehicle, normally a 100 series Land Cruiser, but last time he changed he tried a Prado.

Hooked the tralier on and was going down a hill, a car pulled out of a driveway, hit the brakes ( not real hard either ) and it locked up and skidded down the hill.

He talked to Toyota, and they said something about the ABS system regarding the four wheels not 'talking to each other' on that model.

He since when back to a full sized Crusier - at the end of the day, it is a good idea to have the tow vehicle heavier than what is is towing - basic physics.

He has a V8 petrol one, and reckons the economy is not a lot different from the diesels he had, all things taken into consideration - plus it pulls like a busload of schoolboys :)

Much larger too, you can carry lots more spares, or 7/8 people in comfort.

Worth a test drive?

Dead keen on a test drive but what sort of money are these things?

Dead keen on a test drive but what sort of money are these things?

Yea, that could be the issue with V8 one. His one is the same as this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-213152838.htm

But, you can buy the older Diesel ones much cheaper ( 80 series )

For example http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-202813544.htm

The old boys Landcruiser is fairly awesome. We've towed an 8.5m Rayglass Protector behind it fully laden on a braked trailer (that's half a tonne of fuel plus the boat and trailer) - about 4.5 tonne all up plus nearly 2.5 tonne of vehicle over the Brenderwyns no prob. Not at the speed limit though. Also towed cars on trailers. Performs well offroad, and is worth less than 10k.

If you want it go like a cut cat there is a company in Oz that sells Chevy v8 diesel conversions for about 10k plus installation. We drove one over there. Torque monster.

Probably not something you'd end up doing, but the standard vehicle is good enough.