Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

4x4's

For what it's worth I've got a 1995 Pajero 2.8Turbo. Bought as the buy price when compared to Surfs is considerably cheaper. Under half when I was looking for same year etc. It was bought for my partner to drive, hence the relativly sensible option.

We have done 50k over the last few years and had no problems. I have not touched it apart from Oil and Filter every 5000k's. Refreshed the coolant last year as well.

OK HP. Slows down when towing and I reakon with a car on behind you would find it painful. Handles OK to for what it is.

Just to put a another spin on it.

If you want something reliable and is not going to leak go Japanese, if you want something to enjoy and have a more holistic experience, get a landrover/range rover.

A bit closer to the BMW experience. All the same arguments for having a honda/toyota VS BMW apply to the above.

My old Range Rover was great, never left me stranded. Only problem was constant leaks and a ton of drivetrain backlash. I still get misty eyed thinking about it, and I will be back in one at somestage, when it suits better.

But when it was leaking you knew it had plenty of oil in it!

Haha thanks bezzal

you summed it up well. oh and i'm loving the use of the word holistic!

I love the idea of a dedicated 4 wheel drive off-road vehicle but practicality says no and so does the bank

practicality and the bank say yes to a japanese long wheel base toyota 3.0 TDi Prado.

Damn practicality

Practicality to hell - it is the devil!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-211246031.htm

Lil bit of a project but with the right bits it could go anywhere/do anything.

+ LPG = cheaper than petrol?

Americans build these things to tow...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-213141173.htm

I could live in that god damn thing!! :wacko:

Edited by KSMYRS

that is awesome chris!

It would be fricken great to have that set-up, imagine turning up for an E30 series race and rolling your little 120HP E30 out the back.

hahahaha I would laugh so hard if i saw that.

Seriously though... get a Land Cruiser.. I have much faith in those Toyota trucks.. Drive ok to.. good on road and useable offroad.

the real 4wd boys these dayys have deisel toyota land cruisers or nissam patrols...some run suzukis and daihatsus.My sister recently bought a deisel auto 3.0 prado.Very nice to drive for a truck almost peppy,was a lot more than 10 k though.A petrol toyota lancdcruiser will be hellishly expensive on petrol.My brother had a "proper" toyota landcriser with the 4.2 straight six deisel.That would be a good tow vehicle

here is a real cheap solid one!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-212992950.htm

Edited by kiwi535

Hey Ollie, thought about a 3 lt diesel turbo Toyota van. I used to tow my 6.5mt boat behind one, no problems at all. You could sleep in the back at the track, no need for a tent, and they do go well. Lots more room than a prado.

Hey Ollie, thought about a 3 lt diesel turbo Toyota van. I used to tow my 6.5mt boat behind one, no problems at all. You could sleep in the back at the track, no need for a tent, and they do go well. Lots more room than a prado.

I've thought about it but I hate driving vans, i think i'd prefer the 4x4.

rangie sport. do it

Amen to that brother! But not the V6 Td, has to be either V8 petrol supercharged or twin turbo diesel, in black on 22" chromes with black out tints - aye.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-210635817.htm

Think we might be stretching Ollie's budget a little with that though.

Sounds like you are leaning to the one car for towing and a daily, in which case the Prado would be a good choice, nice to drive as a daily and reasonable towing and off road. The Land Cruisers are a step up in terms of off road and towing, but not sure about driving one as a daily, especially in and around Aucks, a bit thirsty as well for a daily.

If you let us know your budget Ollie, we could do some more comparisons for you, the "let's find Ollie a daily and a tow car for $15K thread" could be quite interesting.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Haha, I have learned a lot from this thread.

I test drove an immaculate manual prado last night, they are a great vehicle.

It's up to me to make a decision now, I am leaning towards throwing some money at sorting out the 540 suspension etc and buying the jetski first.

This thread has been really interesting.

I've been driving a manual 100 series 4.2 petrol six landie last couple of months... Its slower of the mark than my 318i lol. Holds fourth around town all day though so its easy as to drive, but you really feel all the weight. Tows awesomely. Apparently they have the same engines as the 80 series but they weight a lot more, so for a just weekend car an 80 series would be better I guess. 2c

In my opinion you cant get much better than a tall as hilux with all the off-roading accessories. So basically this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-206904401.htm . Add a roll bar and a row of spotlights.

If you are just getting something to launch a boat and pull a race car, why put your self through the pain of driving a truck? From experience, I would only drive a 4WD if I really had to.

Have you considered 4WD wagons? In your budget you could get yourself a nice '02/'03 Legacy GT Wagon in manual. Caldina GT-T's are also getting very cheap too. Or... how about an Audi A6 Quattro? You won't find a manual but it would be good for towing and would be a nice cruiser on a long trip.