Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

All you find on the internet, esp gamer forums, is haters. THERES NO WAY SOMEONE CAN BE GOOD AT SOMETHING OTHER THAN COUNTERSTRIKE!

Drifting on public roads then posting wank pics deserves a bit of flame-age. You're a bad man. Give me your LSD.

Btw, CS 1.6 ftw.

Guest Simon*

Drifting on public roads then posting wank pics deserves a bit of flame-age

I can't actually argue with that :D

Yes. Sigh. Tis a way of life though. The man has made it illegal, so even if you take proper precautions it's still illegal. Hence my excitment for trackdays now (next one on tuesday eeeeeeeeeeee!) Might just have to stop the promotion. Life was so much better doing this in the south of hawkes bay, on a farm, with nothing to worry about.

It's a shame no actual proper diesel skidder style boy racers use forums, I can't imagine the flameage!!

It's illegal for a reason though, you could easily lose control like your buddy in the AE86 except over the centre line and into another car boe.

It's a shame no actual proper diesel skidder style boy racers use forums, I can't imagine the flameage!!

Bebo seems to be their website of choice.

Yes. Sigh. Tis a way of life though.

I lol'd.

(edit) and from gpforums, I lol'd again:

Don't let my post count fool you. I've been at this game for longer than you have had your license.

Edited by CamB

Consider getting a go-kart for seat time and skills. Things happen much, much faster in a go-kart, would make most saloon cars seem like slow motion.

Also learn how vehicles work. Check out OptimumG. This is probably the best money you can spend to go fast in the real world. You will need to fly out to a seminar if you're serious.

Best of luck dude.

Best be off, see all your kuraisutochachians at the next meet.

Seriously looked at that blankly for a few seconds.. couldnt get what it was ment to be! lol...long day

CHCH needs another meet sometime soon, we were getting some good numbers at the last few! after new years no doubt, I work weekends now so will be awhile before I get around to orginising a meet...unless someone beats me to it like Atta or Mark or somebody...they're more than welcome haha :rolleyes:

Guest Simon*

Hard to not sound like a wanky c**t over the mystical internet though, although I'm not trying not to.

You're right Henry, it seems to be very hard for you.

I think your aspirations are great and good luck to you with them, but I'd urge you to reconsider your attitude mate. You are not automatically by default the greatest driver on bimmersport just because you say so, just the mouthiest.

Go away and drive and have fun, but spare us your young ego trips. You WILL crash at some stage in the future, of that I am sure - so be careful and LEARN from your mistakes man. Come back with a bit more humility

:) Aside from that, you give the forum a bit of colour so stick around and by all means employ that wit, just keep the wank factor low if you please

Guest kis

^^^^ How the hell has it taken 33 pages for someone to finally say what needed to be said. To be fair Simon beat me to it because I couldnt be ar$ed reading 33 pages of ego stroking :P

What did they used to say ? 'Country people die on country roads' Why ? Because they thought learning to drive on a farm gave them all the skills they needed on the road :rolleyes:

As Simon said....good luck with what your trying to do because it does appear your putting some proper effort into it, but give it a rest with the ego.

^^^^

It has all been said before, on page 29 of this thread.

But I did think it needed re-iterating again. Well said Simon and Liam

Edited by Grant

May as well keep this updated, gives people hope in human kind to have E30's like this going under the long term knife.

Dark tinted Polycarbonate 4.5mm panel, cut, shaped, drilled, radius-ed, and edge polished: $70.

18 of M4x16mm Stainless Steel bolts, nyloc nuts and washers: $35.

Bostic -Neutral Cure- Silicone: $9. (polycarb gets eaten away by standard clear silicone)

No more damn water leaks, looks f**king 'full raze' as, trees going overhead look surreal, saved another 6kg from the roof. Win, win and win.

post-1573-1262821954.jpg

post-1573-1262821980.jpg

post-1573-1262822053.jpg

That is badass, good stuff Henry. Eventually I am going to lose mine and put a carbon panel in...325i CSL? :lol:

Carbon would have been cool, but fi-glass was 300 bucks to get it moulded in the sunroof shape, so CF would surely be quite excessive. A flat panel of it would def be cheaper, bolted on as I have done, but it's pretty sweet being able to see up..

Thats awesome Henry, i like it a lot and the weight saving side. The more you rip out of your car the more worried i get it will beat my car around puna lol. It will monster me when you chuck some real power in there :(

Carbon would have been cool, but fi-glass was 300 bucks to get it moulded in the sunroof shape, so CF would surely be quite excessive. A flat panel of it would def be cheaper, bolted on as I have done, but it's pretty sweet being able to see up..

Carbon wouldn't have been too much more work if prepreg was used, I guess 'clave time would kill it a bit if you wanted it strong.

A flat panel of carbon probably wouldn't be as flexible as polycarb, to bolt-on/mould to the curvature.

I reckon what you did was probably the easiest/bang for buck. Best would be to get a mold using the metal roof as a plug, but the huge amount of sanding puts me off :wacko:

Theres a dude on bimmerfest that reckons a Sunroof from a Saab works. never heard of the end result, but ive just asked him so i/we'll see if he replies http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthrea...;highlight=saab

Here's wht i did on the race car:

E30 roof section:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Initial Fit:

Posted Image

After some tweaking to get the curves happening longitudinally and across the front edge:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The panel was shaped and stitch welded in.

We then sealed it with liquid metal (Devcon 2 Pac)

Posted Image

Then some filler

Posted Image

Posted Image

From Inside:

Posted Image

And the best picture I have of the finished product:

Posted Image

Definitely not the easiest way, but retains the most strength and didn't weigh too much (single layer of sheet metal)

Damn, quite a process, looks just like a non-sunroof E30 (which is how the M325i's should have come....)

Few more pics of the sunroof, I blasted it all around the edges and there is one leak through a bolt hole, will pull the bolt and gum it up with silicone again

View from below. I will be getting some meshy fabric and maybe sewing it/gluing it to the headliner that remains to cover the panel from the inside and darken it up a little more, it's not as dark as I hoped, but it was cheap as f**k. Plus it'll finally make the headliner look complete again and stop it rubbing on my head.

post-1573-1263873094.jpg

View from the outside, very dark when there is no light behind it..

post-1573-1263873121.jpg

And from the inside, very clear sunglasses-like view, could be darker for the hotter days...

post-1573-1263873176.jpg

And some bonus pics:

Me and a CSL (yes, of course I kept up), rest can be seen here, and other stories of awesome car stuff. Bookmark it. http://www.automotiveaxis.com/2010/01/sund...ut-in-the-bmws/

post-1573-1263873407.jpg

And like I said, I was gunning for Driver of Year back at the trackday back just before Xmas:

post-1573-1263873498.jpg

325 vs csl? wow that sounds like some hard pedaling. theres one here in tauranga that comes to my work for tires an wheel alignments. the guys a nice guy really picky about tires tho an his suspension settings. think we got his old Falken Azenis RT-615 a set in our used tires container(tones of meat on them still think he wanted another tire in preference to it) who else was gunning of that shiney trophy?