Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

So I've been way too busy at Uni, f**king Engineering, learning heeeaps though. Car has really taken a backseat, biking is really ruling my life again.

I have been taking it on the track though. Lots. Don't need a cert there hahaa!

I will most likely have a different engine in this little gocart by the end of winter, cert comes then, so it's going to be a great summer of hillclimbs and club days.... The iron 6 is ruining the addition of critical corner speed.

A picture!

post-1573-1274920938.jpg

Been driving around with R888s since December. I don't think I could go back to road tires.. Also the so called 'excessive' camber is working beautifully, one thing that needs to change is spring rates; at least 50% firmer is required for more track devastation. Every time I get this car on the track it shocks and amazes people with it's cornering ability, but with firmer springs it could be much better. Sam and myself are sort of co-sharing the development of this vehicle for future race winning prospects, and learning lots on the way. More power is what this car needs, at the last track day we were both piloting this car around the 'puna and destroying all the typical fodder, REXs and 500hp 'tessas and RB's galour.

And I had my first spin on the track!! And I learnt how to drift Rcomp tires in 3rd gear using inertia and a lot of balls haha.

And I was in a massive crash in a Evo while I was doing some driver training. Not bad for first time doing proper driving training eh... hahaha. Took him out in my car first, then I went out in his car and he was trying to do silly things like brake at the turn-in point.. I was getting worried, started yelling BRAKE lots. Then we came down the straight, he didn't brake, we skipped across the kitty litter and hit the earth wall at 100kph or so. f**king ouch. My arm hit one of the metal and glass gauges on the dash and shattered it to bits. He put his head into the wheel. I knew we were going to crash, just knew it, on the preceding corners.

I cannot comprehend what the hell this guy was thinking trying to, quote, 'brake real late and drift my evo'.

Wanna see pics? If it was a concrete wall these damage pics would be much more impressive :(

post-1573-1274922487.jpg

post-1573-1274922495.jpg

post-1573-1274922499.jpg

post-1573-1274922673.jpg

Edited by Incary

sh*t.

I'm surprised with how well the Evo took that ~100km/h crash though. I shudder to think what would have happened to our tin can E30s.

What engine are you going for? I presume something light, and 4 cyl. SR20?

Lookin good.

Glad to hear you're both alive after stacking the evo!

hehe tards aside, you would be suprised how much evos will take at speed.

My brother crashed his evo4 .. or should I say rolled over 5 times around 160kph. We counted the number of times it dug into the paddock.

It landed on the a-pilar several times and bonnet and while looking worse for wear actually held its shape.

Awesome stuff mate. Wish you had given me the heads up though.. I would have been so keen to take the V8 out :(

Next time you go to the track, TELL ME :lol:!

Yeah the pedals have moved back about 6in, same with the door and front wheel. Was a huge hit, as we hit the grass I knew the kitty litter wasn't going to help, skipiddy skip across and SLAM. Rather glad we weren't more sideways going into the litter though, we would have dug in and rolled multiple times into the neighboring paddock otherwise!!

Next Motosoc track day is in July :)

Engine will be out of my car this weekend.... And it's being put into another E30. Not looking forward to the wiring part of the job...

And I'm afraid to say it is a SR20boyracerlumpDET from a S13. But the plus is it has come out of a E30 so all the mounts/exhaust and related bits are done! There will be piccytures and basic captions below the piccytures explaining what is happening in the preceding piccyture.

Edited by Incary

SR20 is cheap, powerful and light - I think people mostly criticise them for the same reason they criticise Hondas ---> being common (because they're good). We all want to be unique (or should I say "special")...

Edited by CamB

Out of interest, what plans do you have for brakes?

Deadset I'm kicking myself I didn't go that way. M42 to turbo is a long hard slog. I will get there, but nowhere near as cheap as the SR would have been.

Will be a nice lil package.

That evo crash looks scary!

So true Cam, so true. It's the only way to go on the limited budget I have. And the end results will be as good, if not better (handling anyway :D), than a big v8 swap or M motor..

Brakes brakes. Current plans are to change the booster and MC to something that is newer, and maybe the location of these things... But will leave the calipers and rotors for now, the ducting works well for the 5-8 lap stints that this car does.

I did some more driver training at the trackday that followed the crash one, and I tell you what; my hand didn't leave the vicinity of the handbrake. Never has a sphincter ever been so tight.

It will be a fun project! plus i have wicked ideas for getting this motor to haul some ass pretty easy, 100KW more to be exact!

Much, much more... i have 330i stuff.... we could do yours at same time as mine!

And the end results will be as good, if not better (handling anyway :D), than a big v8 swap or M motor..

Hehe, the more modded E30's in Chch.. the better!

looks like the wagon has to go as i want a race car e30!

And suddenly, all is right in the world. Make sure you get that car we saw today.

And change your 'cars you own' list haha!

And suddenly, all is right in the world. Make sure you get that car we saw today.

you think i should get it? and a race car... orr the the black bmw....

Def get it, and a e30 targa car. Will talk more tomorrow while ignoring the chem lecturer :D

Let me know what you end up doing if you move the mc and booster. Very interested.

I'm slowly working on making my own pedal box (unboosted)...but e30 has taken a backseat too.

Productive evening...

And has the world ever seen this. This photo shall live in bimmersport infamy!!!!!

The E30 Engine Bay Dragons. That's right. Plural.

post-1573-1275044102.jpg

Nice shot my friend took....

post-1573-1275044118.jpg

:o

Nice Skyline :D

Moar pics please. (of project)

Edited by antil33t

I'll do a word-filled update. Pics to come once I remember to take my camera with me to the workshop ahaa.

So my M20 came out, then we pulled the SR out of the boy-racer-as-hell e30 it was going to run in, then put my, now ex, M20 in that car. It's nearly running, I have to cut off my round connector (I have one of those late prefacelifts with facelift electrics) by the fuse box and solder on the prefacelift square connector, need to match the wires properly though. just started looking for diagrams but if anyone knows this info it'd be great if you could share plzthanks..

Give me a bolt to turn any day rather than damn wiring!

That took 4+5 hours in total. This week another M20 is going back together to bulk up the front of the touring. Then the SR will be dropped in at some stage next week. My car will be towed to a recommended SR-swap-wiring-sorting-out guy, and then we will have booooost.

Edited by Incary

Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a fun toy. Summit road and or skid videos to come soon you hope?

Edited by HT.