Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

5-6 weeks minimum. Exams are on in 2 weeks. Then working all holidays ha. Doing a few other things too, like LSD shimming, E36 rack, and new booster and MC.

We will have epic pics and videos of twin tech ones battling it out after the uni holidays.. need to study but to many e30's to play with. Im sure Incary will agree

Did you get that Setup out of that Black e30 on trademe?

Sure did. Straight swap. Engine and all related bits for my engine and all related bits.

I have:

Alloy Rad

Driveshaft hoops

Shortened driveshaft.

Gearbox mount

Engine mounts

Loom, ECU, AFM etc

BOV and intercooler and piping

etc etc etc

The only tradeoff is we have to put the M20 in his car and get it running.

And that's the story morning glory.

I am definitely not envious of the wiring ahead of you! But it's gonna be reasonably awesome once the coupe's powered by little boosted Japanese horses.

What's the weight difference between the stuff going in and the stff going out? Changing your front spring rates/dropping a ARB size?

We will have epic pics and videos of twin tech ones battling it out after the uni holidays.. need to study but to many e30's to play with.

Gonna keep the cage green to differentiate them? :P

I'm thankful my to-do list on the touring is reasonably small, got exams in a fortnight too :(

Edited by JiB

Wiring won't be bad, soooo much/many info/wiring diagrams/write ups for the SR it's insane! For the complicated fuse box wiring, we have a fantastic contact who is a SR wiring master. But at this stage it's a fingers crossed kind of thing ahaa.

Scales are heading to the workshop this weekend to weigh both engines. I'll have a relatively accurate set of total masses of these 2 engines which should interest a few people here, and I tell you what, after swinging both engines on the engine hoist the M20 is in a different league of momentum.... I'm hoping for a for a 30% reduction (dreamer maybe, we'll see, but the mass centralisation of this motor is much better than a long iron 6, so that counts also). The current place where the engine sits is much, much too far forward for my liking. But it's the only place it can sit due to the shifter set up... it can't move, and the gearbox is ridiculously long.

Eg:

Posted Image

So where the motor sits on the brilliantly made mounts is where it must go for now, until summer at least when a shifter linkage, brake booster reduction/relocation and custom oil pan can be made. We are hoping to get it back 20-25cm. Will be more depending on legalities of firewall modification. So currently cylinders 1-2-3-4 are where the previous 2-3-4-5 were. But wow that vertical all-alloy block looks sexual, and full of promise.

And yes haha, big front sway is already out, less camber coming, and I'll get a second set of springs which are more suited to the track. Probably followed by a rear sway delete after the excessive power oversteer this will achieve hahaha!

Excellent Henry !

This will be a fantastic combination

So how long until you get the boost bug and end up doing injectors, turbo and engine management upgrades ?

in to say... 6 Months or less..? place your bets...rad power to match rad suspension

Amazing combination for sure.. Cannot wait to hit some downhill corners and long sweepers with an even-better balanced car..

For a few weeks at least it will remain the stock 220hp or whatever it is. T28BB and injectors are on the to-do list. Aiming for hmmmmm maybe 200rwkw. Maybe less. Depending on how well the relatively soft suspension handles the power at runapuna.

Some pics! Threads are sh*t without pics.

Loom needs tiding, but apart from that the engine looks to be in great condition. It was purchased from Falsgrave engine importers here in chch for 3000. Done only 80,000km apparently!!!

Spot the M20's.

post-1573-1275792280.jpg

post-1573-1275792379.jpg

post-1573-1275792458.jpg

And so much for 75D solid engine mounts! I've crushed the f**k out of mine ahaa.

post-1573-1275792586.jpg

I've got the Ireland Engineering for motor and box (well, I guess Sammy does now) but they're still good. I don't think I drive anywhere near as hard or as much as you do though!

Oh man, you're gonna love the aftermarket support available for SR's.

P.S. Is one of those M20's mine? :P

Last time I was in Christchurch. I went in Mr Henry's car and I got a VERY sore back...

Is my back going to be broken once this engine is fitted? :P

that SR20 looks uber clean

Make a copy of the mounts for engine and box and i'll give you a cookie?

Wait. Is there more incest going on?

Ha yes Jono, your new M20 is the bottom left one. Don't take offense to the floor storage system :D

Hmmm the mounts are quite simple, would be very easy to replicate.. Will explore for all interested after this exam study which is owning my life currently.

And yes, 60,000km! Should be very trouble free for a long time.

Wait. Is there more incest going on?

From what I gather... Sammy and JiB swapped cars,

So Graham's Old touring is returning to Auckland after 2 or so months in Christchurch...

F*** I love this thread.

Your car Henry, is going to be brillant once its finished.

I can't wait for vids :D

Henry, you may remember i told you all about nistune ?

I have got it setup on my 300zx now and I have a little experience with it and calibrating new injectors and such.

It will fit your ECU and the circuit board is about $350

if you want to come check it out let me know. With some engine management remapping and a fuel pressure regulator you might be able to hit 200kw without doing turbo or injectors and just a really decent remap and increase of base fuel pressure.

you should even be able to get a tune online for a stock sr20 and then it would be very cheap to have tweaked on a Dyno.

if you wish for a turbo upgrade I even have a good cond Garret T3 with a .63 exhaust housing which would give you sh*t loads of top end on a SR20 as its a popular upgrade for RB engines. give me rides in your car and you can pretty much have it/borrow for as required

Those SR Injectors are 260cc min and I believe they are good for 300hp at the wheels

So awesome Henry you bastard. Still one of the top cars on here.

Hopefully going to do something similar to my sunroof sometime soon.

I've been researching away in the background thanks to your suggestions James. I think it looks like a fantastic plug-in ECU untill a Link G4 can be made the Boss in the medium future. And thanks Nath :D

No other updates. You shouldn't have clicked on my thread.

So here's a picture of the car that the SR came from. Features include: Rear hub brakes (perfect for slowing down a 2liter turbo powered car), shortened rear shocks (the rear wheel doesn't even leave the guard at full droop), a '3.5 k' gloss black paint job (with the original red still showing in the door frames, under the bonnet/boot etc etc), super shiftu lightu desu, and rare Advanti 17in rims. It's nice to have my car back in the driveway, we offered it as security while we installed my M20 into his black car, which we dubbed 'the gee-eee-thir-tee'. This d*ck basically left it uncovered the whole time and now my car is full of water on the passenger side. I really have to reseal the sunroof panel, the water comes in through a bolt hole which is slightly too large for the tiny bolt.

post-1573-1277523253.jpg

Work on my car will begin in a couple of weeks. Current project is painting my flatmates awesome Super Carry. Sanding blooooows. And never have I seen so much bog from the factory.. This van has it everywhere under the original paint. It's going to be gun metal gray. Spot the E30.

post-1573-1277523286.jpg

And if you go for a ride in a V10 R8, leave your head pressed against the head rest. Trust me.

post-1573-1277523276.jpg