Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Didn't really want to start a new thread. Just took a few wee pictures, Labour weekend is the biz, bizzy biz biz.

Went to the D1NZ, not a massive fan, but anything with a cage going fast and loud is two thumbs up:

post-1573-1287894206.jpg

post-1573-1287894218.jpg

Red Bull vs V. battle of the energy drinks for 4th. V won, yus.

post-1573-1287894231.jpg

post-1573-1287894239.jpg

And Sam doing a standstill in a STI hahaha

post-1573-1287894474.jpg

Oh and my car blew a coil pack. And Exams are on for the next two weeks. So nothing much happening with cars :( :( :(

Sweet pics, what track where they using? Looks like the A-track

Yeah it was, with the huuuge link-up into turn 2 at the end of the straight.

Well, plans to get to Pendulum failed hard. So used the money saved to buy this:

post-1573-1288060459.jpg

2.5 inch pipe, 15in bullet resonator and 'triple flow' free flowing muffler.

Total cost you ask? At least 400 bucks most likely.

190+GST.

www.chase.co.nz

Sourcing a cheap flexi pipe and a 180 degree bend to weld in where needed. Or might get that pipe I have bent at an exhaust shop for beer. But flexi pipe is needed for sure (will be going back to softer engine mounts soon)

That is all, will have cool pics of it all done this week sometime.

Edited by Incary

Make sure to get the flexi pipes that are internally braced otherwise it will fall apart and become a huge restriction.

Yeah it was, with the huuuge link-up into turn 2 at the end of the straight.

Ah in that case, it was track B, the best one.

Nice score on the exhaust, not to blingy and nice an sutble looking.

Ahhh, mixed up myself. Yeah it's much better than the 2nd gear only A track!

Made a good seal on that muffler there and screamed into it as loud as possible. Another person can put their ear on the other end and comfortably listen. Stoked! Not a fan of ultra loud cars, from what I've seen they get you in too much trouble..

The whole system will be painted. Most likely bright orange...

Track A is tougher than it looks, trying to link up turn one and two is rather tricky - drifting that is.

Would be interested to hear it once its hooked up as I think I may need a quieter exhaust when it comes to cert time.

WELP I JUST FOUND OUT WHAT I AM DOING OVER THE WINTER LOL THANKS GUYS

anyone know where i could get the mounts in the states

id hate to fab my own i can do the wiring no prob been there done that lol

just making mounts scares the hell out of me

I spent a good few hours last month swapping multiple PM's with someone in the states who wanted me to send me my mounts. He said he'd pay shipping!! Haahahahaha. It was painful trying to explain what he needed to do, this is it:

Get an SR block and an E30 chassis, and took them to any decent customs shop. They'd whip them up in no time.

I hope to have a nice wee welding cert sometime over summer, so NZer's: if you can wait, I can sell you some decent as mounts.

Juuuust messing around with what the gear ratios are.

Silvia's come with 4.1 final drive differentials. So the stock M325i 3.64 is rather tall. Here is a comparison between 3.64 and 4.1 with the SR20DET transmission at 7000RPM with 205/50/15 tires (R888): (I hope to be revving to 7500 once a few things are sorted)

post-1573-1289106779.jpg

So I could effectively go 280kph at the moment... (with 3 times the power and a huge fi-glass nose cone)

Too much!

I do like how long 2nd and 3rd are, it saves an upshift on Ruapuna, but it is not really fun on the backroads, really only able to use 2 gears, pointless if there are 5 of them!

So a 4.1 will be sourced in due course.

As a comparison the Getrag 260 with a rev limit of 6200 (M20B25) does these speeds:

49:85:134:188:232 1st through 5th.

With the M20 I wasn't getting out of 4th on the straight at Ruapuna, it was on 5800-6000RPM at the braking point, so that's a true 180kph no matter what the speedo says (used to say 190)

With the SR it hammers the limiter in 4th and I'm in 5th for about 3-4 seconds at the end, that's a true 210+ kph. That's a hell of a difference. I'd like to verify that it actually hits 7000RPM in 4th before it cuts out (I don't have a tacho)

Not that the limiter gets slammed all day, after a few laps you know where to change gear.

To compare the ratios between the boxes. This is what speeds you would get to if the rev limit was 6200 and the diff was 3.64.

SR : 56:99:143:188:250 Differences: 56 :+43:+44:+45:+62

G260: 49:85:134:188:232 Differences: 49 :+36:+49:+54:+44

Long first in the SR, then equal drops to 5th, where it then drops an extra 17kph on it.

Short first and second in the E30, then the looooong 3rd gear, and another big step to 4th, and medium drop to 5th.

3rd gear in the M20 with a G260 is a great driving gear, just put it in 3rd and with the nice flat torque of the 2.5 S6 it just keeps pulling even if you drop below 3000RPM. Not the fastest, but it's what makes the BMW a great drivers car.

Looking forward to finding a 4.xx diff and working some gears though :)

Anything higher than a 4.1 in medium case?????

Ahhh putting some thoughts on paper and posting, nice.

You can get a 4.27 in Medium Case. And I have herd of the 4.45, but so far I have only found these in small case diffs. Or you can get up to 5.xx from Diff's online with cubic dollars

Halfway down your post I was all "not a 4.10 - its a race car, go shorter!".

I see that's what you want, so :) Definitely find a 4.27 (with 7,000rpm you could argue shorter, although you might genuinely be getting close to shorter gearing than the car's top speed, especially if you wind the wick up).

Ideas on where to find a 4.27:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=6465

Does the SR with that turbo make much usable power above 6000rpm? I remember reading that without rocker arm stoppers the SRs don't really like revving too high.

With the T28, external wastegate (aftermarket fannymold) and some hotter cams it'll pull hard to 8, so I have read. And yeah those rocker arm stoppers are 100% needed, will come. (Revs are fun)

Ahh thanks Cam, I'll add that to the must get list. And yeah if I had the dollars to get a custom 4.8 (or more) from diffsonline.com I'd do it haha :D Would be incredible acceleration in every gear..

OR a silvia rear end mated in with a Nismo 4.3 GT LSD Pro, with 20 clutch plates... Wow.

Posted Image

!

I have a mate with an S14, GT2860, Apexi ECU, maybe Cams, exhaust, FMIC, all the sh*t. Running about 18psi the thing was struggling for grip in 4th on a roll at about 100km/h. Has 230rw kW at 22psi or something. That thing pulls hard from 4-8000rpm. It's nucking futs and really makes me reconsider screwing around with the BMW sh*t.

Dude are you serious? I've driven a s14 with all that full tein coil overs, bride seats, all the suspension work you can name. Still didn't feel as nimble or poised or ready to steer as the e30

He's saying he was impressed with how easily and cheaply it is to make ridiculous power in a Silvia. It's a fair deep-wallet mission on a BMW engine, for numerous reasons.

OPINION ALERT! WEE OOO WEE OOO

there are for sure pluses and minuses to E30's vs Silvias. Both are really the same formula, and not too many other cars are like them for a few reasons.

Both are light weight FR cars with great balance, both have strong engines, both have nice active suspension.

But, the BMW is not as common as a twilight fan at a school disco.

The silvia has much, much better suspension. Double wishbone sort of stuff front and rear, it's all fully adjustable and you can get some very cool parts for it, like hubs with raised spindles and reshaped arms etc . The E30 front suspension is top notch, I like the extreme caster, it's just something you don't get with jap cars. But the rear suspension really is crap, horrible for switchbacks and bumps, and no traction compared to the silvia, especially the S14/15.

That and they are so cheap for something so weaponised. I got my car for 7k, it has an LSD and a bodykit, and that's really the only thing that sets it apart from the E30 your grandmother bought new in 1984 and has put only city miles on. Spend that on a silvia, and you are getting something which will keep most people enthused for a long while. Not that a M325i doesn't keep you enthused, it's underbalanced in regards to what the chassis can do vs the power it makes.

Build quality is miles apart. They are a tin can shell with bumpers cliped on. I don't like it. Sure crumple zones hurt you less in a crash, buuut just get lucky and don't crash the E30?

E30's are one of the best looking cars ever made. Driving a silver pre-facelift lowered shadowlined Mtech-oned basketweaved car around is a great feeling. I would just feel like a little boy in a silvia, and no one would take me seriously (people who matter). Adults like a mint E30 much more than a silvia. And everytime I hit a trackday with some mature car owners present, there is always much-a-looking at the E30.

Myself I have only driven 2 silvias, a 210rwkw S13 and a S14 non-turbo. The S13 was innnnsane, had pretty standard suspension in it, but oh my god it was fast. I am most likely getting the Link G3/G4software ECU and injectors from this car and my friend who owns it is going to a full GT3076/LinkG4/forged everything set up. Scary sh*t.

The S14 had some nice coilovers and was quite fun around the corners behind the airport. Dead even in a straight line with my old 323i.

So, a silvia drivetrain in an E30 with a S14/15 rear subframe and custom front hubs to match the new stud pattern?! Yes please! This car has been demoted in the past few weeks to sort of a fabrication experimentation vehicle. So over the years expect a few cool things.

This post wouldnt be as long as this if I wasn't waiting for the F1 to start aha

I have read said PM and will reply when it is not 4:01am.

VETTEL YOU BEAUTY. f**k ALONSO HAHAHA ALL MY WISHINGS HAVE COME TRUE

Exhaust is done! Will update with pictures probably tomorrow. Can actually hear things now, like: the engine, the radio, my gf talking, wind noise, ambulance sirens, turbo spool etc.

And sounds tops. Will have a before and after video of it too. I don't think a video does it justice how loud it was though.. You can be the judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111