Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Wiring - haha. I've been putting off doing the wiring on my race car for ... a year. I've managed the injector loom and that's it.

Will make a postit note saying 'turn on fan' and leave it there for a few weeks.

If you can, you really should find another way for this. What's the radiator from? Is there any provision for (or possibility to have added) one of those threaded bosses so you can add a temperature activated switch (like on e34 and later) to turn on the relay for the fan? If you don't one of two things can happen:

1) you always remember to turn fan on and off at the right time. Everyone is happy.

2) you forget. Even just once. Or someone else does. Engine overheats and everyone is sad.

(edit) the probe style switches are fine too - you can apparently just zip-tie the probe to the radiator as its not critical it goes inside with the coolant as long as you set the fan switching in and out conservatively.

Edited by CamB

Oh it is definitely something that is being considered. I will add on for sure once it is all road legal, but for most likely this entire summer it will be on track duty. Have read a lot of stories about people forgetting about switching it on haah. Just wait till you see my aircraft switches. Then it will become clear haha.

Good progress today, untill it started raining. Car could be cranked over.. And it could fire. (hopefully), but odd jobs must be done first.

Car is cranking.. Have fuel, have air (probably too much) and the coil packs have power. It's not firing though. There was a couple of backfires. But now it's too dark to do much more. So damn close...

May have solved the problem. A little tiny wire into the ecu which tells the car its actually cranking needs to be hooked up to ignition. Should have a very noisey video tomorrow!! (Downpipe is all the exhaust)

And god damn aircraft switches are fun to use haha. I'm going to switch up everything at some point!

Just drove it home. Have a nice startup vid. But the clutch is slipping like crazy as soon as boost comes on. Stupid. The engagement point is about an inch from the top of the pedal movement. It's like the clutch isn't being let out all the way.. Has anyone heard of this before? Google is failing for once.

My god does the boost feel good though.

*ok so have found a thread with the same sort of problem. looks like either the clutch fork is hung up, of the throw out bearing is hung up, or the clutch is fried. Either way the gearbox has to come off. Tops.

Edited by Incary

Can I get a ride in 3 weeks time please? ;D

Keep up the good work sir!

Can do, can do.

So just before I got under the car and released the pressure from the slave cylinder. Took it for a drive and the clutch didn't slip. It is much much faster than a B25 haha!

Untill, 3-4 clutch pushes later the clutch started slipping again. I can't quite figure this one out chaps. The clutch pedal has to effectively come out further, but it's maxed out in the master cylinder. I wondering if the wrong slave cylinder is on the car, maybe skyline ones fit and have different push rod lenghts?!

Oh bam, I know, I'll take off the slave and grind down the push rod. This will enable the pressure plate to get all the way back down... Will update later.

And yes, a huge write up on how to make an SR run in an e30 will come.

^howd you get on with the clutch? just dont grind the pushrod too far or the clutch wont fully disengage.

i am so envying you right now. sr in an e30 is something that i really want to join you with.

all in good time.

ps, also want to see some good smokey vids.

Left my socket at the workshop, haha, so can't get it off until later. Hope it works..

And there should be a good video taken at the trackday on monday heh, after everyone has left.

F1 was good.

Anyway before that Sam and I whipped the box off (honestly took about 12mins) and had a look. Not much meat left on the clutch, a bit of play in the engagement fork. I have a strong suspicion this car was owned by an idiot in Japan, oil changes are non-existant (massive build up of crud inside, yet compression is great and there appears to be no wear on things like the cam lobes) and now this worn clutch..

Track day is tomorrow (well today) at 12 so will have to stop by a wreckers and sort a used clutch disk early and throw it in! Apart from that the engine runs really really nicely, transfers a lot more vibration through the solid engine mounts compared to the ol' straight 6 though!

I'm super-curious to see how you got on at the track day ... picking up a clutch disc first thing, reinstalling and heading to the track for the first full one shake down run at noon is fairly ambitious. Will be impressed if it makes it through the day without major teething probs!

I did it Cam. WE (the sam and the henry) did it! Car was out there by 12.30 and the new (second hand) clutch finally started gripping after a few laps. Good god the car handled differently. Much more like the MX5 I drove. The front end inertia was halved, and cripes it hauls out of the corner, was seeing over 200 now down the front straight (had no brake booster so I had to brake very early haha)

untill a rubber seal got sucked into the turbo and bent all the fins on the compressor impeller.. Actually jammed the turbo in place and it wouldn't spool at all. Lost all the amazing response and power it had, now it takes 3 times as long to spool and only juuuuuuust crawls past sams 325i on the track. Gutted. Run those air filters people!

And some very expensive alloy heat shield was borrowed from the other other racecar and protected the brake master all day. Went from searing hot master to cool to touch master with a A4 sized bit of amazing wave-y alloy jammed in there.

Apart from the whole completely-f**king-a-turbo thing, it went very very well.

I did it Cam.

Awesome effort! :D :D Especially since your only problem wasn't really a teething problem. T28s are easy to find, so fix 'er up.

Edited by CamB

It was having no trouble spinning the rears in 3rd for a bit of unforced oversteer with R888's.. I'd say it would indeed 'do a mean skid' haha.

And I will probably put a T25 back on, or buy a munted one and get the shaft/impellers out of it. T28 or similar will come, it just involves so much work making new oil and water lines to suit (would be going top mount at the same time)

There has been a distinct lack of pictures in this thread recently. Here are some random ones of the build. Note that the engine bay will be tidied up, had to get it going first..

How it sits now:

post-1573-1284363405.jpg

post-1573-1284363454.jpg

post-1573-1284363481.jpg

Had to massage the headlight mounts a little..

post-1573-1284363573.jpg

What I have been dealing with, C101 to SR engine loom shown here.

post-1573-1284363676.jpg

And the wire that powers the coils, added a fuse just in case, and pushed together to make a cool pic (soldered it like that too)

post-1573-1284363711.jpg

Edited by Incary