Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Replacing AFM with NOTHING

Bosch Auto Electrical in Papakura can fit a MAP-ECU which is essentially a piggy back that deletes the ultra restrictive AFM and replaces it with a MAP sensor and a custom tune on a rolliing road.. Cost is about $1,500 and includes before and after dyno sheets and a detailed run down as to what they have done. They will also retune your car down the track at a reasonable cost if you decide to do any other mods.

I have seen some great results with one of these.

There is a member on here MrE34 that has one fitted to his 535is and it yielded great results. Would find it but the search feature is ball sacks.

I want one fitted!

This is exactly what i am doing, at the same place aswell. Talked to Boris a few months ago now and thats how i got keen on the map-ecu2 device. Iv installed it all myself and had it running in auto-learn mode for the last few weeks now, and now its time to remove the afm and get it tuned. Hopefully i will be posting up some good results mid week.

Sorry if i confused anyone, but i was just interested as to how/where to get a bracket made for the airbox so i can run a straight pipe through. Will probably just get APT to do it now aswell as the tune, saves hassle for a little less cash in hand.

Once i've got this all up and running, il post up some info and costs, to make it easier if anyone wants to follow Boris and I.

Edited by André3000

Good stuff.

I for one eagerly await the results, I have been looking at fitting a MAP-ECU since dyno day and have a few mates that have since had them fitted and tuned yielding quite good results.

One of the best running cars I have owned was a MAP sensor vehicle was by far the most responsive too!

Why not build a cold air intake box and run a straight piece of pipe with a pod on the end into it.

Good stuff.

I for one eagerly await the results, I have been looking at fitting a MAP-ECU since dyno day and have a few mates that have since had them fitted and tuned yielding quite good results.

One of the best running cars I have owned was a MAP sensor vehicle was by far the most responsive too!

Why not build a cold air intake box and run a straight piece of pipe with a pod on the end into it.

Honestly - the factory ECU is just as good. Save ya pennies! MAF has just the same throttle response as MAP.

Thanks Andrew. Believe it or not a Re-Map with a before and after run will cost me the same. The Map-Ecu is quite cheap as it’s a NZ company.

Plus Bosch is just round the corner.

I like the idea that the MAPECU can be re tuned for other mods quickly and cheaply and can also be transferred to another vehicle when I sell the car.

Thanks Andrew. Believe it or not a Re-Map with a before and after run will cost me the same. The Map-Ecu is quite cheap as it’s a NZ company.

Plus Bosch is just round the corner.

I like the idea that the MAPECU can be re tuned for other mods quickly and cheaply and can also be transferred to another vehicle when I sell the car.

Cheaper than $600 to tune the factory ECU?

Where can it be done for $600? Im defiantly interested in an optimised map at that cost?

Talk to Gavin about remapping your motronic Graham. My tune cost a fair bit more than $600, but that was for the sc setup. Gavin spent close to 8 hours on it. Finetuning for your headers etc should be much quicker.

Talk to Gavin about remapping your motronic Graham. My tune cost a fair bit more than $600, but that was for the sc setup. Gavin spent close to 8 hours on it. Finetuning for your headers etc should be much quicker.

Ring him Graham, I think he has E30 special at the moment, think around $700.

Say you talking to me, he may sharpen further. Hi Velocity 4424451

Better spill the beans Graham.

So i got my car back yesterday from APT. Had the afm taken out and replaced with a straight aluminum pipe, and tuned on the dyno.

To get a map-ecu2 computer installed and tuned, APT quoted me around $1350.

I got some quite good gains on my m20 but only because im running aftermarket headers and i removed the afm.

Heres the dyno sheet with before and after (bear in mind the before is WITH the headers installed).

post-2821-1242804548_thumb.jpg

Next thing on my list is installing the launch control function.

Will post up a picture of the welded pipe after i clean it up and paint it.

Nice. so it's about 7kw gain atw?

I think around 12kw gain using headers and map-ecu2

That’s not bad at all for an old naturally aspirated car. What are other 325i’s putting out?

How does it drive Andrew? Better response at all? A mate had one fitted to his Commodore SS and the most noticeable improvement I felt was throttle response and low down go, will easily get sideways off the mark without dialling up revs it previously needed.

So tempted to pop round the corner and have Jason fit one.

Ring him Graham, I think he has E30 special at the moment, think around $700.

Say you talking to me, he may sharpen further. Hi Velocity 4424451

We can probably get a bulk deal cheaper than that with promotional vouchers from Bimmersport.

That’s not bad at all for an old naturally aspirated car. What are other 325i’s putting out?

How does it drive Andrew? Better response at all? A mate had one fitted to his Commodore SS and the most noticeable improvement I felt was throttle response and low down go, will easily get sideways off the mark without dialling up revs it previously needed.

So tempted to pop round the corner and have Jason fit one.

With just the headers fitted and no tune there was no real power before 3000 and after 5500. Now with the tune the throttle response is amazingly sensitive and theres more power throughout the rev range.