Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Limited slip differential.

LSD for my old girl, Its winter and im having issues accelerating in the wet, my diff is open and is starting to make some protesting noises when driven hardish.

I know some of you are onto-it when it comes to ideal ratio’s so maybe you could give me some advice as to what I should be searching for.

I would like something with a similar ratio to the stock 320i open diff, it seems to work well with the 2.5’s l lack of grunt.

I am aware these are getting hard to obtain and am aware they are not cheap, im just wanting to know what options have worked for people and the ways you have gone about it.

Thanks

What ratio is it now ?? It should also be a medium case.. but check it to be sure. Medium case has 6 bolts on the side bearing carrier on the diff where the axles go in.

Spoken to Dave (Silverfox)?

No. Should I? Is Dave the diff Guru?

What ratio is it now ?? It should also be a medium case.. but check it to be sure. Medium case has 6 bolts on the side bearing carrier on the diff where the axles go in.

How the f**k would I know? :wacko:

Sorry. I am unaware as to what the current ratio is. Where would I find out?

I have a medium case 3.46 ratio lsd. if interested 750$ in Takanini. Text me on 0210390073 or email evlm3@hotmail.com.

from a 323i 1986 motorsport.

Edited by 323e30

Guest FrantiC

There is a tag joined to one of the bolts holding the diffs rear cover on. Tag will tell you the ratio. of the diff..

320i are high ratio usually, My one came with a 4.45 (was originally an auto, auto's had higher ratio) There is 4.27 too.. Would pay to check though.. And 320i's usually came with a small case diff too.

Silver fox can hook you up with LSD centers, but they only fit into medium case diff's. Just swap out the spider gears for teh LSD clutchpack into any ratio diff really. I made my 3.64 medium case open diff into an LSD this way...

I would aim for something like a 3.73, 3.91 or 4.1 If you manage to find one..

how much cheaper is it to get the center and put it in a slip diff?

i've got a 3.46,3.64,3.91 and 4.45, but all are slip diffs so would be nice to convert one of them to a LSD.

Guest FrantiC

He sold me one for $500 + shipping. Much cheaper than buying an LSD, let alone the fact I couldn't find my preffered 3.64 in LSD for sale anywhere.

I put it in myself, Though I would recommend you get a pro to do it. Mine is very very very tight you need alot of force to turn the input shaft or the wheels (I think the ring gear is pressing to hard against the pinion). I think the bearings where stuffed on the LSD center, Or I needed it shimmed or something..

Did the swap also while keeping it 3.64. $450 for lsd centre, $450 to swap it over and add some extra clutches and no more traction problems.

Thank you Frantic. Verry helpfull. Will investigate.

So say I have a small case, I will need to find a medium case diff, that would be found in a 323i or a 325i then wouldn’t it, if that medium case diff was open I would need to upgrade it.

Cheers Guys, learnt a lot.

Graham, I'm fairly certain you have a medium case, but obviously would pay to check. I'd go for a 3.64 unless you particularly want better acceleration. An LSD is on my shopping list too for later in the year (wallet still smarting from the s/c setup and dyno etc).

Graham (apex)... Bring the car over and let me have a look. I also have a 3.64:1 medium case (E30) diff I can sell you.

Dave (silverfox) can probably do you a LSD

I put it in myself, Though I would recommend you get a pro to do it. Mine is very very very tight you need alot of force to turn the input shaft or the wheels (I think the ring gear is pressing to hard against the pinion). I think the bearings where stuffed on the LSD center, Or I needed it shimmed or something..

I'd get it checked before driving it around if that's the case, otherwise you'll end up damaging it.

Guest FrantiC

I'd get it checked before driving it around if that's the case, otherwise you'll end up damaging it.

Yeah I had the guys at Jeff Grey BMW here look at it on the hoist and they pointed out that the driveshaft should be easy to spin but its abit too tough to turn by hand (need 2 hands in fact). They are trying to get in contact with some guy local who sets up LSD diffs.. They reckon the gears are meshed together too hard, so it needs shimming.

LSD for my old girl, Its winter and im having issues accelerating in the wet, my diff is open and is starting to make some protesting noises when driven hardish.

I know some of you are onto-it when it comes to ideal ratio’s so maybe you could give me some advice as to what I should be searching for.

I would like something with a similar ratio to the stock 320i open diff, it seems to work well with the 2.5’s l lack of grunt.

I am aware these are getting hard to obtain and am aware they are not cheap, im just wanting to know what options have worked for people and the ways you have gone about it.

Thanks

Can supply a low mileage 3.73 ratio medium case LSD, $800 plus freight from Wellington, Should bolt straight in

Thank you Frantic. Verry helpfull. Will investigate.

So say I have a small case, I will need to find a medium case diff, that would be found in a 323i or a 325i then wouldn’t it, if that medium case diff was open I would need to upgrade it.

Cheers Guys, learnt a lot.

e30 not your only choice,try e28 and e34.they have mid case diff also.but you have to change the back cover.

Can do a second hand e30 lsd centre sent to your palce for $530 direct from the states 0211645663.If you in Auckland you can get Tony from steelie gears to do the swap ans set up the pinion depth bearing loading and backlash,cheers

e30 not your only choice,try e28 and e34.they have mid case diff also.but you have to change the back cover.

E34 is more than the rear cover - they mount from the side not the top. The guts change over though.

For E28 you also need to swap the E30 drive flanges.

Edited by CamB

Spend the dosh and get a quaife... =;-)

Where would you get one of these? to suit an e30 of course.