Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Maddie - Road/Track E30

Edit: Merged showroom and project threads

Well as one project comes to an abrupt end, another starts.

As many of you would have followed my 'Road Legal Race Car On A Budget' project and how I managed to write the car off literally about a month after having it legal on the road again and 95% completed.

There is a brightside.

Dad has come to the party and decided to help me out and buy something a little more able and comfortable for me to drive, one of which I don't spend weeks and weeks under on axle stands. I want to move out of home next year, so this won't be a full blown race car, just somewhat of a 'jack of all trades' that can handle daily driving, a little B-road thrashing and some track days.

Ideally my criteria was; a E30, 6 cylinder, coupe and of course manual. Well I found the opportunity to purchase this car, and subsequently did so here is in a old for sale thread: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....p;hl=325i+drift

I have since found out before Dan (Driftit) owning it, another member Togate (I think) owned it before him so atleast it will stay in the Bimmersport family.

So the basic idea of this car of the interior and exterior is to keep keeping the classic E30 lines and looks, with some subtle tweaks to the interior and exterior to make it my own (read: Q-ship/Stealthy). The car has plenty of suspension, brake, driveline and engine modifications so I won't need to do a lot, but plenty of hot modifications will make it across from the race car to the new car. I want to give people that feeling WTF was that as I drive by, becoming a blur into the distance. Hence the crossing borders (harmonious mix of race car and road car with a dab of JDM + GDM + Kiwi modification style thrown in for good measure) thread title.

In the summer I already have plans for a 2.8 M20 Stroker/2.5 M50 as the engine will need a bit of a freshen by then but will see how the bank balance looks as we go along :D along with many other sweet plans :)

So the deal is done, am flying up to Auckland on Wednesday this week (touchwood) to pick it up and drive it home :) Pics to come in due course.

Let the games begin, and let the 'Green Machine' be unleashed :D

- Nathan

Edited by Simon*

Nice one mate im looking forward to this

psshh old news :P nah shot on finally getting round to buying it. Should be a fun drive home.......coming from a 316i background :P

I'm looking forward to this on too.

with some subtle tweaks to the interior and exterior to make it my own (read: Q-ship/Stealthy).

LOL, do not believe you.

Sportmax wheels and "JDM flair" are not going to be Q-ship or stealthy!

^ You win Cam, On second thought I have kinda had a change of heart, did some maths, not financially viable but have plenty of subtle tweaks lined up :D of which will cross many borders in terms of budget performance and general turbo eating Q-shipness.

Edited by Forrest

Killa. Take more photos because that colour looks so good!

Oh my, how exciting!

Looking forward to watching your progress dude :D

Nice one dude, heapsa pics as always eh.

Awesome mate, was looking into this car before i bought my e30.. i use to live a couple of houses down from togate and saw it drive past like nearly everyday.. Its what got me into e30's :D

In the summer I already have plans for a 2.8 Stroker/M50 as the engine will need a bit of a freshen by then but will see how the bank balance looks as we go along :D along with many other sweet plans :)

Dont you mean a 2.8 Stroker M20 ??... I think Dan has got all the bits to do this as well. He was going to do this with the car as far as I know

^ Yeah I wana do either a stroker m20 or a m50. He does have the bits, I am hopefully going to try buy them off him at a later point after I have got the car :)

Edited by Forrest

Well I have already started shopping and modding bits even before picking the car up, reminds me of a certain thread started not so long ago :rolleyes: Just some bits to fill in time/procrastinate for my last exam, before Wednesday.

- I am going to use my dash out of the other car so I can make some modifications in it without the risk of ruining another dash. Here is a new gauge panel that will sit where the central heater vents were, I made it up out of a sheet of alloy/oven tray :D needs some paint and the other gauge to arrive and we will be laughing.

Posted Image

- Managed to secure IMO the best wing made of a E30; Tech 1. It will have its plastic trim colorcoded when I do my spare set of wing mirrors at the same time. Thanks to Stephen (Skids).

Posted Image

- Started collecting pieces for my stereo system, which will be a basic JBL speakers (5.25 (165w) fronts with crossovers and tweaters and some 6 x 9 (400w) rears with a simple yet to be purchased head unit. Have a spare parcel tray, Thanks to Oli (Sydways E30) to cut up for the 6 x 9's and some spray dye to turn it satin black.

Posted Image

- Also got a spare Getrag 260 Gearbox that I will rebuild for the new motor in the summer holidays. Thanks to James (Jimmy).

Posted Image

- Have a order with Driven Performance who were extremely helpful for a new Simota Pod Filter with E30 AFM adapter, and a gauge sandwich adapter plate. I am also ordering a front strut brace at some point from them (a non hinged version) they can order fixed bars for around $250 incl gst and shipping.

Edited by Forrest

Good stuff Nath! :D

Look forward to the progress and changes making it "your own"

Welcome to 300,000km+ 2.5L delphin metallic PFL E30 coupe ownership ;) Nice to see my car's twin go to good hands :D

Muchos jealous of tech1 wing!

^ Except it is green but who is counting :D Yeah should be pimp shizzle.

^ Except it is green but who is counting :D Yeah should be pimp shizzle.

If it's driftit's 325i, I swear it's the same colour. Gunmetal with a bit of green in it. It's a pimp colour, I got sick of it at first, but it's definitely grown on me!

"Dolphin Metallic"

^ Haha okay Jon we will call it twins then anyway :D Now, where to find someone that will build me a fluro green cage....:D jokes.

Am actually so excited, last uni exam tmoro and I am on Bimmersport instead loving life haha.

Nice, props for buying a car with photos of it drifting in it's for sale ad

Cheers Ollie, it's has only done a few 'gentle' track days :D

Hey JiB are you color blind? :D

See here:

post-3292-1246228473_thumb.jpg

vs

post-3292-1246228508_thumb.jpg

Pretty confident they are different.

A little 'trawlin' on e30tech threw the color up as Smadmaragrun or something like that, I have the thread saved some of the comments about the color name are hillarious, I will post it up when the car is home, imagine me trying to say that at the paint shop :lol:

Woohoo for 5th gear!!!!

Edited by Forrest

Lol, I must be!

But here's mine on a sunnier day. See I'm not totally bonkers.

Let us know what colour the strut tower says :P