Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Maddie - Road/Track E30

Ohh I missed the new stance pic.

Looks sweet man, still think it needs smaller tyres :D but still top job!

^ Cheers guys, yeah I agree, next time I will go for 45's for sure, 10mm will make a massive difference.

Well after doing a small burnout outside my Mum's kindergarten (she's a head teacher there) and the little kids loved it :P I think I have destroyed my second hanger bearing/mount in 3 months...or I broken something else. Massive vibration in 1st gear but no where else, it is strange. Going to have a look tomorrow. Looks like I am out of the BMW Car Club Cruise on Sunday :(

Guest Simon*

LOL :lol: Hahahahaahaa burnout outside a kindy!!

I think your target audience might be a little young mate ;)

I had compost in the back so it was sacked as in the rear, it was just asking for it, the LSD loves to provoke me. The other older teachers loved it too, if cougars are more your style ;)

Cheers Simon, I take some comfort in the fact yours never breaks :P

7th gear FTW

Edited by Forrest

Guest Simon*

Simon, I take some comfort in the fact yours never breaks :P

7th gear FTW

Actually to be fair I did snap the LSD loose one day :P They don't make 'em like they used to

Congrats(?) on hitting 7th young fella

Nathan, has that car ever been on the road for longer than five minutes ?

You dont need to bail from Sunday mate, you can always come along and navigate in one of the cars thats still going :P

Could be the diff's worked it's way loose.. If it is your hanger bearing, Likely your driveshaft has homax u-joints.

Well its the hanger bush mount has snapped the metal ring. I have a funny feeling my driveshaft has shagged u joints as John said, it had been making a slight vibration in 1st and 2nd gear all the time, I thought it was the urethaned diff mount, but I think now it is my driveshaft crying enough, must have damaged it when I plastered the guibo on wrong and destroyed the previous hanger mount :( To be fair I did buy a 2nd hand mount, but I think the drive shaft needs replacing for a better condition one.

Martyn, I swear this is karma getting back at me for something E30 related, it had actually been going great, managed a month off trouble free weekends, to be fair I have done everything myself on this car, no mechanic has touched it so there is bound to be things go wrong.

Simon, I am sure they have facebook :rolleyes:

Edited by Forrest

Managed to confirm this arvo:

1. The Hanger Bearing Mount is destroyed (read: the metal ring is snapped in half)

2. The Rear Universal Joint is as rough as guts (replacement is needed)

3. The Rubber Bush at the front, inside the driveshaft output flange is cracked in half

4. I had a bolt missing (read: escaped) from the driveshaft output flange at the front to the guibo

5. The subsequent vibration has worked all the bolts and nuts loose

6. Exhaust studs coming out FTL

7. The front half of the driveshaft (the PITA to find half) is in good nic :D

At least I know the measure of the beast now and it is nothing I haven't done before :)

My question to bimmersport is, can I use the rear half off another car without getting the whole driveshaft balanced?

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

I used to have the bolts coming loose problem too, Tightening them and replacing the CSB does work for it.. It's all i did and I never had the issue again (Got new locknuts actually)

If the rear joint is real bad it will clunk and bang alot. But yeah you may aswell replace the rear half which is simple and replace all the driveshaft rubber. Get some new bolts with lock nuts too and use some blue loctite on them.

Edited by e30ftw

Decided to basically overhaul a large percentage of the underside of the car to combat future problems. Over the next few weeks I will be upgrading to urethane engine and gearbox mounts, front and rear strut braces, a new center hanger mount and bearing, a refreshed and rebalanced driveshaft, nylock nuts with thread lock everywhere, along with a oil change, coolant flush and brake bleed along with a custom improved airbox being made up.

Also looking at selling the Borbet's again as they are proving to be a PITA with a larger, not factory front sway bar and I am looking to replace them with something a little narrower.

Front windscreen also needs to be replaced along with some more exterior and interior additions :)

Cheers, Nathan

I wouldn't bother with the urethane tranny mounts. Solid engine mounts are enough, The gearbox ears are known to break off when using the solid mount ones. You don't really need the either. I was going to do the same but after abit of research thought it would be better not to.

Cheers John, well urethane engine mounts will do as a mate has some for me :)

Does anyone have a recommendation of underbody sealer for a e30? mine is cracking in places and I found some car cancer :( the e30 drama saga continues.

Get rid of the sealer all around where its cracking if you havnt already lol... :rolleyes: quite a high chance of it being all around lol I'm using the Septone body deadener supercheap auto sell at the moment for similar reasons!, $13 a can from memory, thick and textured, and it's sort of soft so stones can 'bounce' off instead of chipping it from what I understand,

gotta love E30's and rust

^ May I ask why?

Seriously if someone got hold of me tmoro and said I want your car I would just about sell it. Sick of the stupid thing breaking. Should've brought the E36 my Dad encouraged me to buy.

Edited by Forrest

Sick of the stupid thing breaking. Should've brought the E36 my Dad encouraged me to buy.

You dad's a very wise man :D