Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Maddie - Road/Track E30

Progress....

Completed engine bay, including strut brace, air box, wires all tidyed up and urethane engine mounts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Replaced the faded chrome/beige/white window seals with black seals out of my old face lift car, made such a difference but is a PITA job

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear strut brace installed

Posted Image

Drive shaft and gearbox all replaced with shiny new bits thanks to Gavin and Euro Italian, just have to throw it in when my new hi tensile bolts and lock nuts arrive after being on order :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car as it stands now

Posted Image

Borbets are to be sold and replaced with another set of wheels as they rub on my uprated front sway bar/find lower profile road tyres?. Got a new rust free bootlid to get painted and fitted. Got some brake ducts to make up out of pipe. Making one of these out of aluminium: Posted Image

Also found this in my travels under the car, looks like someone has jacked it up in the wrong place in its life (it is on both sides) and it has started to eat away at the floor of the car, hopefully will be replaced once it is all tidy again and has a new wof.

Posted Image

Into the new year the focus is to get it reliable and able enough to do the Intermarque track sprints at Manfield. Will be looking into replacing the drivers seat with a FIA rated bucket seat and removing the rear seats and fitting 5/6pt harness along with a flat faced race wheel, whilst still keeping the majority of the interior.

Anyway that's enough for now, comments are welcome.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Just out of curiosity why do you want an FIA approved seat? You don't need to have one and any motorsport approved seat will be fine for what you are wanting to do. FIA approved belts are a must though obviously. Why don't you save the money on a seat and spend it elsewhere?

^ I don't want to have to worry about a cert, I would rather have the seat included on the authority card with the belts. Does anyone else see the logic in that?

It doesnt matter if the seat is FIA aproved for the autority card. If its mounted on standard rails then you dont need to worry about anything for a WOF either

Looking good, loving the sticker placement.. maybe i should invest in some strut braces!

Looking good Nath, You will get there. Just takes abit of effort put in the right places. :)

Looks like your getting there Nath! Should be going by the end of the weekend??!! Let me know if you need anything. And you can't sell it till you've set a good time at Manfield anyway - i need to know what it's capable of!

^ Cheers guys. Well Kerry I am waiting on my nuts and bolts to arrive, so maybe Monday I can drive it again.

Sadly it won't get a warrant. Pulled the carpet up tonight and removed the sound deadening to find 4x the amount of holes I 'thought' I had. The ones in the firewall on both sides of the car worry me because that is all hard to remove/find the extent of. Bloody E30's haha. Semi tempted to rip all the sound deadening out now that I have started and throw the carpet back in, have to find a power to weight advantage some how :ph34r: eh Kerry ;)

Pictures of the cancer:

Passenger Floor

Posted Image

Passenger Firewall

Posted Image

Driver Firewall

Posted Image

Accelerator Pedal

Posted Image

Bugger. Oh well I guess what doesn't kill you/your car makes you stronger B)

^Nope NZ New (I think)

Further inspection sees that the jacking point under the accelerator has a hole nearly entirely around the rear side, I can see through it to the ground.

Honestly don't know if I can be bothered paying all this money chasing the rust around the car.

Someone must be trying to give me a hint that I shouldn't own a E30 I think.

Potentially may be time to part out another awesome E30. f**k this <_<

^ What he said.

Grind around, Lay down some No. 8 wire. Then Bog that sh*t.

On a more serious note, I hope you know someone with a welder dude. That is just nasty :wacko:

I'm glad my Jap imported POS e30 had nothing like this when I pulled up my carpet :D

I don't want to lift my carpet either... but the WOF guy reckons theres no signs of rust....

BL dude, I hope you fix her... she's a nice car :)

Edited by antil33t

not as bad as some that i have seen man , all the best on tackling it

This e30 is a real saga isn't it man!

Keep it alive! It was/is still one of my fav's on bs. You've done soo much work on it!

Hmm, i have a good body etc you could buy :P

Hope you get it all sorted though, dont give up!!

(And its not all NZ New PFLs have problems, sucks you got a bad one :()

I have ripped carpet around my accelerator.. I don't wanna look now lol I'm taking Marks approach for awhile lol

I had my rusted out sills under my doors cut out and new bits rewelded in there and painted over = $100.

Under my accelerator is full of rust too and i'm sure it has some similar to yours, can't cost that much?

Not enough to be worth getting rid of the car anyway, you can do it bro.

I had my rusted out sills under my doors cut out and new bits rewelded in there and painted over = $100.

Under my accelerator is full of rust too and i'm sure it has some similar to yours, can't cost that much?

Not enough to be worth getting rid of the car anyway, you can do it bro.

thats what i would call bimmer sport attitude good stuff for confidence boost . and yes you CAN do it

keep going soldier!

Mate, if you think thats bad then your lucky, you should see whats left of my capri im attempting to rebuild, its a bloody headache tbh, but theyre worth too much and look way too cool to give up.

Another thing i've found is that once you've fixed all this kinda crap you have the piece of mind that you now know the condition of the car inside and out and there is very little chance you will have any more problems with the body work. Keep it up man these things are worth fixing.

Btw, this has to be one of the tidiest pfl e30's ive seen, chin up pal, your not alone!!!! haha cheers dude.

^ Cheers Pete and everyone else, after talking with a few people seems like it is going two be not 'too' much work to get the rust cut out everywhere. With Xmas etc it probably won't get done till after New Years but that is okay guess it is an excuse to save money to get it sorted. I really have come to far with this car in regards to mods etc to give up now. Cheers everyone for all the support, if anyone remembers the sh*t I went through with my old car you all know how much bad luck I have had with E30's this year :rolleyes:

Got any pics of the Capri Pete, I am a closet true blue Ford man myself :P

Got any pics of the Capri Pete, I am a closet true blue Ford man myself :P

I dont think it would all fit in one photo. It is in about 10 billion pieces :P

When it's done it will be sick though!

tbh it doesnt look all that bad compared to some that ive seen. it wont be all that expensive to fix either because the areas it is in are easy ones to plate. i work with a guy who could probably do it as a perky. he has done alot on his e30 lately so he will do a good job. let me know...

and if your still thinking of getting a new seat i would recommend the racetech seats. mine is the base model and is super comfy and only about $550+gst