Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Maddie - Road/Track E30

Welcome to rangimods.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At least it is hidden and saves weight :rolleyes: All the chopping was just eyeballed, whats a ruler?

Thank you for visiting rangimods.com

oh its not that bad a little on the weak side for high speed maybe but looks all good in place man .

^ Methinks I may brace the really thin parts with some alloy strips. Wouldn't know about it when the bumper is on with it on the car though.

For the last six months or so I have been struggling financially and two'ing and fro'ing wether to sell/store or keep working on the E30.

Decided I want to store it for the next year and a half until I have graduated from Uni and can afford to get the car up to my desired standard with a full time job.

Up to this point, aside from the motor (which is toast) the car is essentially all brand new/upgraded underneath, which makes far to unrealistic to sell off and make a massive loss.

Basic plan is to store it away till I can afford to M52, Roll Cage and totally strip it out whilst keeping it road legal which is what I wanted to do all along ever since writing my old E30 Race Car off.

I figure this kind of car is far to hard to build for a full time student earning $150 p/w and for one that has aspirations to run at the 2016 Olympics to be able to divide adequate time for.

So I thank everyone for all the help on all of the various threads I have posted, I will be back soon enough, to be able to put enough time, money and effort into creating a E30 that I have always wanted.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

For the last six months or so I have been struggling financially and two'ing and fro'ing wether to sell/store or keep working on the E30.

Decided I want to store it for the next year and a half until I have graduated from Uni and can afford to get the car up to my desired standard with a full time job.

Up to this point, aside from the motor (which is toast) the car is essentially all brand new/upgraded underneath, which makes far to unrealistic to sell off and make a massive loss.

Basic plan is to store it away till I can afford to M52, Roll Cage and totally strip it out whilst keeping it road legal which is what I wanted to do all along ever since writing my old E30 Race Car off.

I figure this kind of car is far to hard to build for a full time student earning $150 p/w and for one that has aspirations to run at the 2016 Olympics to be able to divide adequate time for.

So I thank everyone for all the help on all of the various threads I have posted, I will be back soon enough, to be able to put enough time, money and effort into creating a E30 that I have always wanted.

Cheers, Nathan

Sounds like a good move there. Much better idea then selling it!

I've even decided i may keep mine, trying to join up to the airforce soon so if i'm in i can afford it too :D

See you at manfield intermarques in 2ish years time? :P

Cheers, Nathan

I've read this before ;)

See you next week :P

I've read this before ;)

See you next week :P

This time it is for real sadly

Olympics >> E30. Good job.

P.S. Don't bugger off for too long. I graduate/finish F:SAE in a coupla years, need a playmate on track ;)

sooo. by putting away do you mean not touching for a few years or just take it out every other sunday??

Good man, luckily for me I have no athletic ability at all.

I know that wouldn't have been an easy call. I gave up going to the UK for the Lacrosse World Cup as a goalie for the NZ Team to finish off the racecar as it's was a higher priority to me.

The car will give you quicker feel good moments but i hope you stick to your guns and make it to the 2016 games and thats truely something special.

Edited by DRTDVL

Cheers guys for all the comments.

The ideal age for a marathoner is mid to late twenties and being 20 currently I have a few years in my pocket to put some times down. In 2008 I ran the 18th fastest half marathon (1.14) by a New Zealander aged 18 so hopefully I can translate that to the full distance in due course. The Olympics is a big big goal but running in general internationally/nationally/or not should be priority over the car all the time as I get far more enjoyment running fast than lying under a twenty five year old rust bucket.

Basically going to do bits and bobs on it when I can but not waste away every pay on something that isn't giving anything back or improving my uni marks :rolleyes:

Edited by Forrest

Small progress:

Got all the rust removed and new steel plates welded in, would highly recommend Just Rust in Tawa, Wellington for anyone needing any rust repairs, fast, efficent and inexpensive service. Have body deadened everything and removed all surface rust spotted on the floor and started painting the floor with Wattyl (insert name here). Also have started a little bit of maintenence on the M20 to make it last a bit longer, with a more efficent redesigned air box on the way (does anyone know if having the AFM mounted on a vertical angle as opposed to a horizontal angle would affect its operation?, I had it set like this and the car ran like poo so have cut out the original Air Filter bracket for more room. All the extra wiring of the dash has been removed including all the stereo system and speakers along with the complete Air Con Unit. Fog Lights and a whole bunch of other things have no been removed since this will eventually be a stripped road legal track car now with no carpet etc going back in.

Pics of rust repair/misc stuff:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up is to fix the f*cked rear arches from any rust damage, some clown rolled them but never painted where it cracked <_<

LOL.

The sad thing is, last year I ran roughly about 4,500km in training and racing miles. I drove this car and the previous one less distance than that in total <_<

Bit of a nothing update.

Got all the floor + boot floor all painted with anti rust enamel epoxy paint along with body deadening anything under the car that even looked like it thought about cracking and peeling. Try and rust now you f**ker ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Before anyone asks, the alloy plate duct taped to the floor of my boot covers holes in the boot floor for access to the top diff bolts, a massive time saver and I recommend them to anyone who has an E30 and likes to DIY, apart from Race Series guys who are not allowed to cut holes IIRC)

After a few goes at selling my Type A's I decided I will just run them as road wheels since they are essentially brand new and look even better every time I put them back on the car. Thinking they look far better without center caps after seeing a couple online so that's how they will stay, painted the hub rings silver so they are stealth and looks better. Thought about making some flat center caps but this way I save money :D Still not convinced though, anyone got any thoughts? Flat, None or Std Caps????

Posted Image

Here is a better pic of the foglights installed in the Alpina front, they will stay in contradiction to my previous posts (because they look rad).

Posted Image

Have decided to run with a carpeted interior, after having a black painted interior (sweating like a mother while doing it) and reading Ashkan having the same problem in his car has made me rethink that decision and I will put my carpet back in and dye it black, along with the headliner. The rear seat will stay bare as once I have everything else done a race seat is getting planted in the drivers seat and a 5pt harness.

Next job is to dye the carpet, install the interior, pick up a bootlid tonight + pay for a Mtech2 wing, get those painted, paint some other stuff, install + we have a completed wofable car ready for a race seat + belts and ready to do the intermarques :lol:...... sort of.

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt my mind will change tomorrow :huh: trying to get as much of the car done as I can before I go back to uni in a month, to all the people that give me a hard time for changing my mind, you don't have to read this thread/or post I just want a place to document what I have done.

Till next time, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

[MADDIE] plate looks mint haha. buy the rights and rock it!

I brushed it on. I used Wattyl Kill Rust Epoxy Enamel Top Coat. Made it far easier and efficent not having to mask wiring etc just brush around it and mask any straight edges. It is quite poisonous though, made myself feel quite sick painting inside the car :wacko:

I brushed it on. I used Wattyl Kill Rust Epoxy Enamel Top Coat. Made it far easier and efficent not having to mask wiring etc just brush around it and mask any straight edges. It is quite poisonous though, made myself feel quite sick painting inside the car :wacko:

Try painting a car with 2k paint in a closed garage with no mask. :unsure:

Cars looking good btw, how soon til shes back on the road?

Try painting a car with 2k paint in a closed garage with no mask. :unsure:

Cars looking good btw, how soon til shes back on the road?

Lol I did that... was coughing clear coat for days!

Looking good nath, can you take more pics of the hold you cut in the boot... wanna see if it would be of any help.