Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

New Road Rules 1st November

In the usual manner, not all the information about changes to the road rules is being communicated, only the mobile phone ban is getting mentioned, full list of changes is:

The full list of provisions in the amendment Rule covered in this document are:

1) the ban on the use of hand-held mobile phones when driving

2) the use of special vehicle lanes by vehicles not otherwise allowed on them

3) the correct wearing of seatbelts

4) the use of headlamps on moped and motorcycles during the day

5) allowing cyclists to make a hook turn

6) the use of mopeds or motorcycles on footpaths by postal services

7) the rights and duties of users of mobility devices and wheeled recreational

devices

8) exemptions from arm signalling for cyclists at roundabouts

9) towing speeds for vehicles without a rigid towing system

10) parking a vehicle on the road margin

11) child safety locks in taxis

12) the use of blue beacons on vehicles

13) pedestrians waiting at pedestrian crossings

14) passenger service vehicles at level crossings

15) the use of safety chains on light trailers

16) requirements for cycle lights (must be visible for 100m)

17) priorities for use of shared paths by road users

18) Road Controlling Authorities’ marking of stopping places/stands

19) responsibility for the use of seat belts on buses

Obviously not all apply to the average drive, but some do, for more details check out the Land Transport web-site here:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/publications/road-...2009/index.html

Hmm, I thought all trailers required a safety chain...

that one about the push bikes requiring a proper light is good, I'm sick of cyclists with no lights at all.

I sort of think all cars should have their lights on during the day even if it's just the fog lights, makes them much easier to spot, However not everyone does.

this is what springs to my mind

over legislated .... and ill informed

is it all really necessary and how well will we be informed of these changes? - or will it be "sorry officer, i had no idea, the law is changing every 5 seconds" ....

My thoughts exactly Ollie, that's why I posted this up. Ignorance of the law is no excuse apparently?

How you are supposed to keep up with all the changes is beyond me, and how well will other road users be aware of some of this stuff? I can just imagine what would happen if I tried a hook turn on a bike on the 1st November round here, I might just be able to mutter "don't you know the law has changed" as they cart me off on a stretcher into the waiting ambulance...

you know reg costs when up on October 1st?

it's now 100 for 3 months rego... was 58...

ohhh it's $10 for licencing and the rest is basically acc levies...

Now way really?? How much is it a year then over $300 I assume. Might have to reclass the Corolla.

f**k im so up for a mass ACC boycott, those f**kers need to die of gonorrhoea and rot in hell, hate them with a passion.

Love the way they have cooked their books to help them go privet on the cheap and write off massive debt, I hope government get my second favourite organisation together for a mass audit.

Edited by Apex

Has rego gone up already? I thought the ACC levy increase proposals were still open for submission til the 10th of November... They want to increase it 2 - 3 times for motorcycles :o

And they're talking about changing it again. To about $300+ a year for a car.

You can keep up with the changes by signing up to email notifications from the nzta, but most people don't know about that. Alot of the rules above are simply clarifications, or relaxing of rules, but the towing speeds one is ridiculous!

There are now about 4 different towing speeds depending on the situation. How is this clear and unconfusing???

As per usual its legislative madness.

I went onto the website after I saw that the rego charges have gone up and now it's $388.06 for 12 months :o , didn't it used to be like $250? Thats a rip

Edited by Laura

BS, think ill put mine on hold

I went onto the website after I saw that the rego charges have gone up and now it's $388.06 for 12 months :o , didn't it used to be like $250? Thats a rip

Just had a look myself, still $247.86 for 12mths. $127 for 6mths.

What website? LTSA still lists a lower price.

figured out why mine was 100... it's because it was non-petrol...

what a crock of sh*t... why is it more expensive to licence a non-petrol vs a petrol!

Because the acc levies aren't loaded onto the fuel tax like they are with petrol, so you pay more per year.

Apparently.

Because the acc levies aren't loaded onto the fuel tax like they are with petrol, so you pay more per year.

Apparently.

they are in road user charges tho arn't they?

ahh thats what she was talking about: RUC fees increased on 1 October 2009: New RUC rates (PDF, 40 KB)

Edited by DRTDVL

Thank goodness, I was spewing the bastards had put it up without warning, I would have juiced up all my cars!

Try these ones. The ones you posted are for initial vehicle registration. Not the ongoing annual vehicle licensing fee. The fees in your link is a registration fee PLUS the normal licensing fee for the period you choose.

Try these ones. The ones you posted are for initial vehicle registration. Not the ongoing annual vehicle licensing fee. The fees in your link is a registration fee PLUS the normal licensing fee for the period you choose.

Oh really? phew thanks for that.. I just typed in car rego and it came up with that, i thought they were abit excessive

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing. There is Vintage Vehicle rego which applies to cars older than 40 years. Our 1942 Willy's is registered as such.