Compact with the Devil.

Brents `Total BMW` post has now got me looking at a few options for this:

post-1470-1261190331.jpg

post-1470-1261190394.jpg

post-1470-1261190412.jpg

post-1470-1261190459.jpg

post-1470-1261190483.jpg

go on, 3 litre it, you know you want to. :P

o yea i second that 3 litre it is! bm autobahn from tauranga built one ages back wonder if it still around.

It will have to be either M52TUB28 or M54B30 if someone can offer an easy wiring solution. Have complete donor cars.

I concur.

Any idea what needs to come from the donor 2002 330ci apart from the obvious. Aren`t you doing E46 into E30 Tony?

Any idea what needs to come from the donor 2002 330ci apart from the obvious. Aren`t you doing E46 into E30 Tony?

im guessing you know all about the ews youl have to swap ray?

Um tricky question. I'm doing a complete retrofit of all the e46 gear, you may not be so keen.

I've seen THIS done to an e30 and I think Glenn is keen on a similar idea. M54 on OBD1 ECU. Long thread but a clever guy and he sells parts to make it work.

Or stand alone? There are better people to ask then me I think, Josh and Glenn may be able to chime in.

Um tricky question. I'm doing a complete retrofit of all the e46 gear, you may not be so keen.

I've seen THIS done to an e30 and I think Glenn is keen on a similar idea. M54 on OBD1 ECU. Long thread but a clever guy and he sells parts to make it work.

Or stand alone? There are better people to ask then me I think, Josh and Glenn may be able to chime in.

i have all obd1 gear on my m52tu2.8. works mint,big job to sus but all the while worth it.

e: rays ti already has ews so it should just be a matter of swaping the control modules etc

Edited by kerry

the e36 M52 will swap straight in . just need the ews stuff from the donar car .

can you run a m54b30 on a m52 or maybe m50 loom and ecu with a remap etc.

or is it a dual vanos etc . maybe just blank the vanos off or do a worked m52b28

o yea i second that 3 litre it is! bm autobahn from tauranga built one ages back wonder if it still around.

I think you'll find it was an M52B28 like mine.. Penny.. a member owns it and its been greif for him

or is it a dual vanos etc . maybe just blank the vanos off or do a worked m52b28

No. Dual variable vanos and different sensor signals ect.

^^would be AWESOME haha front heavy sucker.

Can you ditch all the BMW electronic cr*p if you goto Link or Motronic?? or so you still have to keep it so it starts etc

i have all obd1 gear on my m52tu2.8. works mint,big job to sus but all the while worth it.

e: rays ti already has ews so it should just be a matter of swaping the control modules etc

So how did you sus that? Did you fit the obd1 sensors ect to the engine??

Would love to know more.

Sounds interesting Kerry. More info please. What`s to stop me from dragging all ews componants over from the 330.

The M54B30 is flyby wire, dual vanos and wont run on the 330 DME without the rest of the system. The M52B28 (single Vanos) conversion is much easier to do Ray. I was thinking of doing a B30 conversion and I'm sure the only way is to change throttle bodies (non ASC type) and all the other sensors and run a Link or similar. I was also going to look into fitting the M52B28 (single Vanos) head, manifolds etc to the B30 block and either run a MAP system or get Gavin to remap the M52B28 DME if that is viable. I havent researched it fully, but it is on the back of my mind

You could also research and see if you can convert to complete non Vanos with M50B25 cams, maybe even fitting the Schrick inlet cam and run OBD1 which is what I think Kerry did with his B28 with out the Schrick cam.

Edited by *Glenn*

the e36 M52 will swap straight in . just need the ews stuff from the donar car .

You can't blank off Vanos... it will run retarded all the time. You either have to make it work properly or eliminate it completely. EWS is not a problem. You'll need keys, reader coil (if its not going to go in a EWS type car), EWS control unit and the correct type DME which can be realigned to the controller.

What`s to stop me from dragging all ews componants over from the 330.

It won't work Ray, you would have to swap every damn thing. After 1998 these types of conversions are damn near impossible (economically) because of the systems software and you cant split the systems like I have done on the Ti conversion. Pre 1998 is easy. Is the 330 manual or auto ??

Edited by *Glenn*

Sounds interesting Kerry. More info please. What`s to stop me from dragging all ews componants over from the 330.

as glenn said the 330 is flyby wire i forgot about that so its not really a great option to take . i have removed the doubble vanos on my engine with m50b25 cams and got a e36 b25 m50 engine loom and intake system and ecu installed all ran ok, i went to gavin and he got me the horse power it should have with his talented work.

You can't blank off Vanos... it will run retarded all the time. You either have to make it work properly or eliminate it completely. EWS is not a problem. You'll need keys, reader coil (if its not going to go in a EWS type car), EWS control unit and the correct type DME which can be realigned to the controller.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...motors&All=

picture is of a s54 but they do a m54 and m52tu types .

Posted Image

they also do for m50 etc

Yes that blocks off where it was after you have taken it out. I thought you were referring to just blocking of the oil feeds etc As I said... you cant just block it off. It has to be removed. The sprockets shown are for getting the cam timing in a running position, suited to whatever cams you are going to use.

Edited by *Glenn*