Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

Compact with the Devil.

Ray, if you still have all the eletronics / loom and sensors for the m54 then it would be possible to do this. Otherwise I would just run a stand alone aftermarket computer and throttle cable system and throttle body from a e46 m52b28tu like westy's. It looks like the link g4 ECU will support input from the potentiometer (throttle pedal) for flyby wire support which might be a go. Or .. it is not our of the question to custom up some s50b32 ITBs :D

EWS and DME will need the IKE from the e46 to run (amoung other things.) You will need to recode the DME and EGS for manual (easy enough with your GT1, and I have the details for your PROGMAN SSS to excute this) and probably look into removing other errorous functions.

If you were to lock off the vanos you would need to run aftermarket cams. (not a bad thing :) )

Time and project wise it would be one of your more time consuming in the wiring and coding department. But I think worth it. I would be a ballsie project but once complete you'd have a much better understanding of the e46/e39 kbus systems. You have all the means that you need to do it ... question now are you ready for the challenge.

It would 130i quick! :)

What would you recode to though Josh ?? There is no support for E46 not running EGS, ASC, ABS, KOMBI etc

He would have to run most of the kbus modules / sensors if he was to stick with the standard DME/EGS.

My vote to make it easy would be go stand alone. That old red e30m3 was running a m54b30 in the open series for the first few seasons... he ran a stand alone setup however and did away with the flyby wire system.

He would have to run most of the kbus modules / sensors if he was to stick with the standard DME/EGS.

My vote to make it easy would be go stand alone. That old red e30m3 was running a m54b30 in the open series for the first few seasons... he ran a stand alone setup however and did away with the flyby wire system.

Thats right.. I'm sure he did away with vanos and did cams as I was talking about. If I was using the whole B30 motor, I'd get rid of Vanos completely and replace cams. Race FXS also recommend this. Makes its so much easier to do, but very expensive. I was looking at the feesibility of putting the M52B28 head and all the systems for the B28 on the B30, then you can split the systems. You can keep the DME seperated from body systems ie: SRS, ABS etc. This is what I've done & its easy, just takes time. Ray has more resources to second hand parts than most people.

I thought the m52 head doesn't bolt to the m54 though, so you couldn't have the b28 head on the m54b30.?

Wouldn't you be able to swap around bottem end parts into a m52 block? then do what kerry did and run obdi1 stuff?

/end knows nothing.

Edited by e30ftw

Good thread. Love the intelligent threads like this. Great project Ray I look forward to following it.

I thought the m52 head doesn't bolt to the m54 though, so you couldn't have the b28 head on the m54b30.?

Wouldn't you be able to swap around bottem end parts into a m52 block? then do what kerry did and run obdi1 stuff?

/end knows nothing.

Thats what I was researching at one stage... but I couldn't find anything on it. I've been told it should. The only way of checking would be to get a couple of old headgaskets first and see if all the galleries and bolt holes line up first. Then check an old head on an old block and see if everything else lines up. People like Ray & Kerry are probably better able to do this with their engine exchanges.

Thats what I was researching at one stage... but I couldn't find anything on it. I've been told it should. The only way of checking would be to get a couple of old headgaskets first and see if all the galleries and bolt holes line up first. Then check an old head on an old block and see if everything else lines up. People like Ray & Kerry are probably better able to do this with their engine exchanges.

i have a m52tu block with a m54 head on my engine Edited by kerry

i have a m52tu block with a m54 head on my engine

There ya go then...I'm sure what I was suggesting will work... see my WTB thread... I'm getting all interested again... I need a project too.

Edited by *Glenn*

Good thread. Love the intelligent threads like this. Great project Ray I look forward to following it.

So do I Grant... and I'm hopping Ray goes ahead with it and doesnt get put off with all the tech talk. I know hes got deep pockets just waiting to be emptied :P

Its all possible :)

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=18872

Alot of people shy away from Vanos for some reason. If its well maintained its fine and you can purchase some great re-build kits for it now. With locked cams you kind of loose the low down torque the m54b30 is known for that or loose it higher end power. For driviblity and the weight of the car I recon something with more low end torque could be the go for this car. Unless he wants the more s50b30 euro feel to it? (power hidden in the top end)

The Link g4 can control vanos so its a great option for not much $$$.

But then it wouldnt be a challenge to make new BMW stuff fit in old BMWs.

Sorry if what I type sounds all obvious to the regulars .. this is more so we can have a good discussion about it, which has been lacking recently on here.

Thanks for all of the intelligent lines of thought people. Certainly provides some great options to look at.

For me it`s mainly about mixing and matching generic parts and coming up with a cost effective solution with what I have in stock. i.e M52B28, M52TUB28 or M54B30 with all associated electrics etc. I also have some E36 Manual looms 6 cyl. looms.

The M52B28 has to be the obvious choice then Ray. Pop in and have a drive in mine.... any questions... feel free to ask

By all accounts the M52 nonTU head wont fit the later blocks.

By all accounts the M52 nonTU head wont fit the later blocks.

Where did you find that Tony ? Do you have a link ?

Heres 3:

There are more but it cant hurt to compare gaskets anyway for your own peace of mind.

I still think this guy has the right idea.

He has Hall to VR signal converters for the crank position sensors and a nearly finished vanos controller and is even working on a fly by wire throttle control.

Heres 3:

There are more but it cant hurt to compare gaskets anyway for your own peace of mind.

I still think this guy has the right idea.

He has Hall to VR signal converters for the crank position sensors and a nearly finished vanos controller and is even working on a fly by wire throttle control.

Thanks Tony... will have a good read when I've got time. This next few days is going to be the shits

Is it wrong if I sort of like how compacts look?

I hope this project happens :D

Wow... there are some hawt compacts on there.

Does the entire compact bit open? they sound kinda practical actually. Really is too bad BMW really only made them with 4pots.

The truith is I've got some bleeding disorder, and when my hip plays up I can't drive a manual car... hence why I own an Auto E30...

But If I bought an auto 318ti which is small and auto for a DD' I can still do up my E30 :D

not to mention the M20B25 loves to drink all of the fuel ever.

Edited by antil33t

Wow... there are some hawt compacts on there.

Does the entire compact bit open? they sound kinda practical actually. Really is too bad BMW really only made them with 4pots.

And 6pots

323ti

Just don't think any came to NZ (new that is).

And 6pots

323ti

Just don't think any came to NZ (new that is).

There are 2 323Ti Compacts in the country.... then theres mine & Penny's which are both 2.8's thats all

Are we now going to have a following ???.... I really think we should :D

There are 2 323Ti Compacts in the country.... then theres mine & Penny's which are both 2.8's thats all

Are we now going to have a following ???.... I really think we should :D

And then there are the real BMWs. :P