Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Ethrty-Andys Twincam

Hey guys. have made a build thread over on Bimmerfest, thought id link you guys. was going to do it the other way around as im on here more than there these days, but you have to be a member to see this site (never works when im logged out put it that way)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4865994

Will post here as it gets updated. feel free to comment, constructively criticize and answer potential questions below

**As a general notice to everyone, please only post if youve got something positive to say, ie useful information/encouragement etc. so that this may be of use to someone else some day. Nothing worse than a thread full of negativity**

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

will be good to watch the progress, it's one of the many options iv'e thought about for my E30 when its on the Road one of these days haha

Which car you putting it in Andrew

cbf doing the link

Which car you putting it in Andrew

cbf doing the link

the 320i aka Ethrty

haha I got unlazy &took a look-the car looks pretty sweet

Good luck mate. Its going to be an awesome car when its finished so many cool E30s out at the moment.

keep us updated

What did you plan on doing with ASC in the E30 ? Hope you researched this properly. EWS will be a probem... but you can get round that. There are several ways of doing it... all depends on $$$

Hmm. Getrag 220 FTW, right Kerry ;)

Something that mounts the right way would be much easier anyways, whatever you use.. A few people go for that ZF box... Saves the gearbox crossmember modding and then sorting the linkage from being on a 15 degree lean to fit right.

The 250G is basically the same box as the E30 318is g/box. Fits straight onto the motor and into the E30. Its also the same box that I'm using. It also untilises single mass flywheel.

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest Ari Gold

What did you plan on doing with ASC in the E30 ? Hope you researched this properly. EWS will be a probem... but you can get round that. There are several ways of doing it... all depends on $$$

Can you expand on this Glenn? How is the ASC an issue?

Personaly, I'd use the Getrag 250G

chur but i have a 240 here, and i am doing this on a budget so no point in getting a G250 or ZF really. if money was no object i would too, but then i wouldnt be putting in an M52 either

+1

Gearbox thats fits no modding required to shifter or mount vs. Gearbox that will require modified crossmember and shifter linkage.

I would take the first route, Less hassle in the long run.

The motor he brought has an ASC throttle body system on it thats all, and depending on what it came out of the DME could pose problems. He also has EWS to figure out as well. Thats why I asked him has he "researched" this mod properly. Edited by *Glenn*

Gearbox thats fits no modding required to shifter or mount vs. Gearbox that will require modified crossmember and shifter linkage.

I would take the first route, Less hassle in the long run.

Using the 240 box, you have to fabricate a crossmember, modify shifter linkages, get the "right" flywheel and run a small clutch. You need to use the M20 starter doing it this way as well. You dont have to do this using the 250G

Edited by *Glenn*

The motor he brought has an ASC throttle body system on it thats all, and depending on what it came out of the DME could pose problems. He also has EWS to figure out as well. Thats why I asked him has he "researched" this mod properly.

Ex E36. DME? I was under the impression that was only on TU models though (Edit: that had the issue?) so i dont think i have it. Im looking at those EWS chips as well. With these conversions making the engine fit is the easy part huh! its the wiring that makes it hard

Edited by ethrty320

E36 does not run TU... I suggest you do your homework.. I'm quite sure you havent... or am I missing something ??

Impressions dont help... you need facts

Not completely but i wont be starting the wiring for at least a month. Can you enlighten me if i have/may have an issue with the DME? Thats one of two things i really havent researched yet. got wiring diagrams for the looms etc, know about the EWS, and obviously the install procedure of the engine itself sussed (the latter not being rocket science of course). The other thing is fueling, but that should be easy enough to figure out. Havent read up on that as i prefer to read things and be able to physically look/find what it relates too

You should have researched it all before you started so you atleast have a good idea what you are getting yourself into. m52 is Alot more work to swap in then an m50 is. And if you read up U.S forums etc, alot of their info is different.. Brake booster's specifically and also where they talk about using gearboxes... Their 240's came of 318is' with m42's. They bolt up fine to the m5x motors on the right angle, Our ones from 320i's do Not.

You should have researched it all before you started so you atleast have a good idea what you are getting yourself into. m52 is Alot more work to swap in then an m50 is. And if you read up U.S forums etc, alot of their info is different.. Brake booster's specifically and also where they talk about using gearboxes... Their 240's came of 318is' with m42's. They bolt up fine to the m5x motors on the right angle, Our ones from 320i's do Not.

Got a Porsche 924 booster on order, was cheap as chips so if it doesnt work meh. will take Rays suggestion of a Mk1 Golf if thats the case.

Speculated this about the 240 but never seen it written down, was just going to find out for myself. making a new mount wont be too much hassle

Edit: oh and yeah if i had it my way i would have finished my research before i started but as it said in my build thread (forgive me if you havent read it), my gearbox in the car now has packed up and i dont fancy swapping it out just to be pulled again in a few months

Edited by ethrty320

Sorry.. I'm trying to give constructive criticism.. I realy don't think you have researched this properly. Its all doable... however I think you don't know what youve got yourself into.. "DME" ??? tells me this

Sorry.. I'm trying to give constructive criticism.. I realy don't think you have researched this properly. Its all doable... however I think you don't know what youve got yourself into.. "DME" ??? tells me this

I know what the DME is, im asking what the possible issue is

I know you now have the motor... may I ask what you are budgeting on to complete the project and actualy be able to drive it with a cert ??

I know you now have the motor... may I ask what you are budgeting on to complete the project and actualy be able to drive it with a cert ??

whatever it takes

I know what the DME is, im asking what the possible issue is

Do you know how EWS works ?? and I did ask you before what the motor has come out of. I know E36... but that tells me F all

whatever it takes

Depending on where you are now going to go, gearbox, control system etc... I suggest you budget for at least $5,000 - $10,000 is that where you are heading ? You cant do it for a $1,000

Do you know how EWS works ?? and I did ask you before what the motor has come out of. I know E36... but that tells me F all

Pretty much. 328i, waste of time using the B25 or B20 of course.