Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Ethrty-Andys Twincam

Depending on where you are now going to go, gearbox, control system etc... I suggest you budget for at least $5,000 - $10,000 is that where you are heading ? You cant do it for a $1,000

Am keeping a notebook on spending, but i dont think it will be as high as 10k initially. Yes come forced induction time. expecting around the 5k mark for Stage 1. not saying it wont be, saying i doubt it thats all.

I've done this and do this for a living... go for it... but you are really outside your ability boundry.. good luck though.. will be good to see this running... I've been pushing someone else to do this for a while... its much the same as mine.

a guy i sold a m52 328i engine (from an autoc car) to a few years back fitted it to a early e36 325i manual with out the ews , he managed to figure out the wiring for the ews system .

he reckoned he only only needed to supply power and ground etc to the ews box and wire the apropriate wires between the ecu and the coding ring and box etc

he had found some block diagrams in pdf format on the net somewhere .

best yes do your research .

good luck .

a guy i sold a m52 328i engine (from an autoc car) to a few years back fitted it to a early e36 325i manual with out the ews , he managed to figure out the wiring for the ews system .

he reckoned he only only needed to supply power and ground etc to the ews box and wire the apropriate wires between the ecu and the coding ring and box etc

he had found some block diagrams in pdf format on the net somewhere .

best yes do your research .

good luck .

That sounds like a similar if not the same diagram that i have which im going to try before i buy the chip :P

Exactly what I have been trying to get through to him.. But his PM's to me don't reflect my concerns.. He thinks I dont like young people :wacko:

EWS isnt that hard. You need the key, EWS box, and the receiver bit for the key and just need to wire it up. Mike at mosens managed to sort it out on his race car.

You can always get a EWS delete chip aswell + hp boost.

Im not sure about the ASC, but that could pose some problems. You could always get a non ASC wiring loom and ECU and run a EWS chip.

Or convert it to ODB1, and if funds allow get it tuned.

Edited by turboprop

it appears i didnt ask nicely enough *sigh* dont expect any updates. Ill be the bigger man and walk away. Shame on you people 3 times my age for being so immature and up yourself for doing 'many engine conversions'. whoop-dee-do by the time im your age i will have as well no doubt. At what age did you claimers do your first conversion completely by yourself with NO help from friends or family at all? Coz thats me right now at 17.

For those that actually care about this conversion and are genuinely interested, click my link every week or so, and there should be updates

Case closed, comments from people obsessed with having the last word to follow VVVV

Guest Simon*

I only closed this temporarily in an effort to clean it up. It's Andrew's (ethrty320) prerogative to run a project thread for his conversion - well an open link to his project anyway. He is entitled to do it and this is the kind of thing we like to see around here.

It does seem, from an objective standpoint that he's not well researched the task ahead of him, but that's his problem not ours. Unfortunately he's not very good at separating advice from criticism. Glenn could be your biggest asset if you're prepared to listen Andrew.

Also Brent, John and Troy had some really useful bits of info too, that's what this place is for.

On the other hand, some of the personal sh*t was a bit unwarranted, prompting me to weed it out. One long serving member in particular is an absolute guru when it comes to all things BMW and E30's in particular. If you guys had seen the motoring hardware round his place you'd wet yourself with excitement. Alas, for his own reasons he's not seen much round here at all - and it's to all our loss really.

Enough bullshit, let's keep it clean. Feedback, good or bad should be about the project not the personalities

There you go Andrew.. As I promised you & others. Lets get on with Andrews Showcase Build project. Hope it all goes well, and within budget.. I'll keep out of it and just moderate if need be :D

Thanks mate. even on the day of an update as well (albiet small and fairly insignificant), good timing!

Good to see this back Andrew. I'll follow with great interest

update here

nothing overly amazing but i got my wiring harness done

UPDATE! M20 removed! Also have a few questions (as posted at the end of that post) if anyone can help out? Thanks!

just a couple of things .

the ews box and the ews power supply for the ews coil wire into the main e36 body loom some wires go off to the iginition side of things and others go though the large round plug that conects the body loom to the engine loom.

so you should see some of the wires will match up (but best to find a diagram on line).

a e36 air box wont fit in a e30 .

that e32 brake master cyliner you have is from a vac boosted system , there is also another type on the early e32's which have the hydrlic boosted system .

the power steering pipe just needs a hose and a hose clamp ( its not the high pressure side)

the e34 dipstick goes down into the left side buldge of the e34 sump .

the air hole in the intake boot conects with a hose to the idle control valve piper under the manifold.

good work , keep it up

just a couple of things .

the ews box and the ews power supply for the ews coil wire into the main e36 body loom some wires go off to the iginition side of things and others go though the large round plug that conects the body loom to the engine loom.

so you should see some of the wires will match up (but best to find a diagram on line).

a e36 air box wont fit in a e30 .

that e32 brake master cyliner you have is from a vac boosted system , there is also another type on the early e32's which have the hydrlic boosted system .

the power steering pipe just needs a hose and a hose clamp ( its not the high pressure side)

the e34 dipstick goes down into the left side buldge of the e34 sump .

the air hole in the intake boot conects with a hose to the idle control valve piper under the manifold.

good work , keep it up

thanks for that mate :)

btw wasnt accusing of leaving out the E36 airbox.. was just saying why it was there. about the E32 master, you dont mean the other way around do you? ie vac is early and hydraulic is late? Will try exchange it either way

Do you need the muppet weasels at bimmerfest to proof read everything Brent tells you? Pretty sure he is one of the more knowledgeable people on any BMW forum.

My 2c.

Edited by Forrest

lol no. just put it there to answer the question

early 735i 730i 6cyl e32 use the hydro brake boosted system , later ones use the vac sytem ,. except the 750i v12 and 740i 730i v8 as all of those use the hydro system due to the space issues

Have had lots of updates since the last post on here so i thought id bump it to show you guys where im at if your interested :)

My Webiste

just a qucik note the late e30 320i 325i used a larger wider radiator thats the same as used in most e36 320i 323i 325i 328i with the seperate coolant tank .

thats what i would sugest you to use , or the nz new e36 320i 323i 325i 328i models came with wider version of what you had in your photos with the built coolant tank

^^ what does an M50 E34 run? does that one have the built in expansion tank too? i have two M20 radiators here so no issue to use that.. its just for cleanness of the engine bay that im thinking the built in expansion tank.

Thanks for your info!

^^ cheers mate! now i know what im looking for! will be running the M20 one in the meantime, but eventually will switch to that if i get annoyed with the expansion tank