Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

E30 24V

Made the adapter loom tonight. Wiring for dummies style.

To the left is the m20 fuse box plug Engine side (So will plug into the e30 fusebox). To the right is the m50 Body side fusebox plug. So the m50 engine loom will plug into that end. I also labeled each wire cos it makes life so much easier rather than gazing at the pin d*ck sized numbers on the plugs every time.

Posted Image

Soooome heat shrink I stole of my old man..

Posted Image

Then joined up all the wires as per the wiring diagram I got of Troy, which he has used 3x with success so I trust it..

Posted Image

My lame soldering Lol.

Posted Image

And woop here is my wiring adapter :D

Posted Image

A couple wires left out, will cut them off behind the pins on the plugs, But will confirm all are uneeded before I do so anyhow, Then I'll tape the wires up..

nice one John. interested to see how this one turns out.. :D

Looms all sat in now, Joined where it needs to be etc..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gave it some power...... And it's ALIVE :ph34r:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got no gas :(

at least your service indicator works... mine Half works. it will do Inspection/oil change.. but the LED's don't light up :P

Haha gutted.

Central locking works

power windows all work

Brake lights are working,

Park lights are working

Indicators are going

Sooo, so far everything is pretty sweet the only problem I have come across is the Wipers are only working on 1 speed?

Edited by e30ftw

Wow, looks like a whole new car with that paint job. It's a much nicer colour too.

N/A 24v FL e30 awesomeness.

Did you end up selling the old engine?

Feel free to ignore this question if you want, but how did court go? When are you back behind the wheel again (legally)?

Wow, looks like a whole new car with that paint job. It's a much nicer colour too.

N/A 24v FL e30 awesomeness.

Did you end up selling the old engine?

Feel free to ignore this question if you want, but how did court go? When are you back behind the wheel again (legally)?

Yeah I sold the engine and turbo setup. I figured it wouldn't be a good idea for me to keep it. Will ignore cos I don't want my thread to go down hill lol.

But yes looking forward to a nice e30 m50 :lol:

Still condemplating whether I want to try drop the motor in with the gearbox on it or not.

I DO want to because I can see the startermotor being a real B*itch getting it on once the motor is in, then lifting the gearbox in place..

But then I don't want to because it's such a mission doing m20's on the insane angle, looks like m50 will be even more of a mission and I don't wanna bang up the front bit with the sump like I usually have <_<

harder to get the engine into place with the gearbox attached/more weight on your hoist/more of an angle getting it into the car vs. having one hell of a fun time putting the gearbox and starter on with the engine in.

either way its a pita but ill be dropping it in all bolted up and ready to go. have heard you may have to take off the belts/pullys though, but it can be done without dissassembly (know a guy in the states who did it, picture evidence)

I DO want to because I can see the startermotor being a real B*itch getting it on once the motor is in, then lifting the gearbox in place..

With a few bros helping and a good hoist you should be ok.

Edited by Mark247

Everyone I have done has been with the gearbox on. Bit of a tight squeeze, but get the car up nice and high, get some angle on the engine and drop it in, you will need a few people to help you probally.

you have to do suspension anyway if i was you i would just go from under get her up high as you can drop the cross member, bolt it all up on the floor then slide it all under and up hence no paint damage. can you send me the loom diagram you used dude so i can have a look against mine!.

when i put mine in i had the hoist on the factory lifting point and an endless chain hooked onto a tab on the block at the back. that way i didn't have to jack the car up and i could get the right angle and pivot the engine and gearbox in piece of p*ss. roll the car back and forth as you need to to get it in. i took off the power steering pulley as i couldn't get it to clear. took me an hour 20minutes-ish by myself. it'll be much quicker and easier if you have some mates helping out. good luck

you have to do suspension anyway if i was you i would just go from under get her up high as you can drop the cross member, bolt it all up on the floor then slide it all under and up hence no paint damage. can you send me the loom diagram you used dude so i can have a look against mine!.

I'll post it here so everyone can see it. I only used troys cos the one you gave me said the very first pin to join up (oil level or somesh*t) wasn't even there and troy said its on e34's I think, so your one was for a e34 loom.

Posted Image

when i put mine in i had the hoist on the factory lifting point and an endless chain hooked onto a tab on the block at the back. that way i didn't have to jack the car up and i could get the right angle and pivot the engine and gearbox in piece of p*ss. roll the car back and forth as you need to to get it in. i took off the power steering pulley as i couldn't get it to clear. took me an hour 20minutes-ish by myself. it'll be much quicker and easier if you have some mates helping out. good luck

Oh sweet, I'll join up the gearbox and give it a shot then.

Not sure If I could get the entire car high enough to lift the motor and subframe from underneath, that would be a mean idea though.

Edited by e30ftw

diagram ive been using.... just watch out for the abs wire if your car has abs.

Posted Image

Yeah, i snipped that red ABS wire. And the ones in red, snipped all those too.

Edited by e30ftw

Sounds like an awesome project! Will have to wait for 56k to reset itself so I can see the pics.

Body wiring side of things is done now, so gotta put everything back in now. funnn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Custom Flame tints

Posted Image

at this rate it will be going by the weekend man.

Yeah I still wanna pull the rear end out to throw some urethane bushes in there, also swapping diffs with Stephen. My 3.64LSD for his 3.46LSD. Still a high ratio for a 1:1 final drive e36 box but meh..

i love my 3.64 final drive it hauls arse

3300rpm at 100kmh though lol, would be changing gear too often cos your gears would be short as

fun though mind you loss of traction is a nono these days aint it :lol: