Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Selling techniques.

I have noticed when people are selling old German cars the owners always seem compelled to show me the first aid kit and the tool kit as if that will sway my decision and I will completely over look how crap the car is.

This always makes me laugh as I have no idea what use a 20+ year old first aid kit is to me, they are normally like “it never been used” as if the car I looked at earlier was blood stained. Note to these people, First Aid kits are supposed to be swapped every few years and no one cares if your car has one. This is common on TM, people even photograph that sh*t.

Another one that makes me laugh is the guys showing me the service history from like 1993 or a New Car cost docket as if it makes f**k all difference,” hell my Reebok Pumps cost $340 in 92 but are just as poked as your sh*t car fool, all this tells me is that you are living a dream in the past.

What yarns have you been spun??

Edited by Apex

Guest Simon*

But seriously, you do hear all kinds.

I like the honesty factor of people who can present a full service history. Especially if it includes important milestone events like clutch, cambelt, etc. A full toolkit in the boot of a BMW (especially an older one) is desirable, and an untouched first aid kit has a certain amount of "feelgood" factor for an enthusiast.

Ownership history is interesting to me too to a degree. I know 3 of the previous owners of my car.

But enough bullshit Graham, show us pics of the E30 :D

I have to disagree. I love all the little touches of originality. Admittedly if the car is a rustbucket I won't care, but if an owner has looked after a car well and it has all the little extras like a full toolkit, first aid kit, glovebox torch, original purchase receipt and owners manual etc then I will buy that car over one exactly the same with none of that stuff and I may even pay a premium for those things.

Look at the number of American muscle car owners who cream their jeans over cars that have original AM radios with 8-tracks etc. As our cars get older having one with little rare extras will help keep values high.

Guest Simon*

Oh yeah that was my other point! I forgot, bloody Alz-simons!!

I like the original headunit in a BMW. No ghastly lit up POS, no aftermarket speakers cut into every panel and no freakin' box in the boot with a wanky sub in it. And don't give me all that wank that you audiophiles go on about quality of sound, blah blah - if you can entirely seal out all road noise, engine noise and other ambient sound then by all means turn your car into a recording studio

:)

A full service history yes but one that stops more than ten years ago is useless. A owner history can be obtained on Car Jam for $1.50. Knowing the cost of your car in the late 80’s is quite hilarious though as you could have most likely purchased a house in Auckland for near the same cost, put into perspective how expensive houses are these days.

My car is not ready for photo's Simon, its getting a two week over haul first. I have a unused first aid kit and a Genuine BMW Safety Vest and Triangle in my car, if I break down and lacerate my arm im going to crank that 20 year old tape and bandage and chuck back a 20 year old pain killer whilst being ultra reflective… I might even crank out my double ended fail screw driver and fix some sh*t.

Seeming we won’t contribute..

I laugh when someone goes on about the rarity of something on TM and then you search it and there are like 5 for sale.

Edited by Apex

Yes but 540is have good factory sounds Simon so it’s easy for you to say, I would like to take your for a spin in mine, it has an awesome pull out head unit ( like the whole thing slides out, not just the face) that works interminably, ie hit a bump and it turns off for 100m… oh and it has no CD or AUX.

A modern head deck for a few hundred dollars is an I-Pod in comparison to a Tape Walkman that is factory sounds of the era, you wouldn’t sit in your house and watch a 1950’s TV because it matches the design of the house nor would stay with LP’s because a I-Pod dock doesn’t go with the fridge, factory sound systems are so sh*t in near all cases and as a music fan some things NEED updating, especially if you are a music fan.

Why change wheels on a car when a new set is just as round as the last.

Edited by Apex

You can also look up value of the "when new" on the redbook site iirc.

Edited by antil33t

Yes but 540is have good factory sounds Simon so it’s easy for you to say, I would like to take your for a spin in mine, it has an awesome pull out head unit ( like the whole thing slides out, not just the face) that works interminably, ie hit a bump and it turns off for 100m… oh and it has no CD or AUX.

A modern head deck for a few hundred dollars is an I-Pod in comparison to a Tape Walkman that is factory sounds of the era, you wouldn’t sit in your house and watch a 1950’s TV because it matches the design of the house nor would stay with LP’s because a I-Pod dock doesn’t go with the fridge, factory sound systems are so sh*t in near all cases and as a music fan some things NEED updating, especially if you are a music fan.

Why change wheels on a car when a new set is just as round as the last.

Fully agree!

I think im going to get my e30 tool kit anodised black or something. Just for extra radness

Fresh WOF and REG does it for a lot of people. So many mates have purchased cars based on "its good for 6 months"

Fully agree!

I like to keep it looking OEM but still like to upgrade speakers, I-pod/usb connectivity etc. Sub also needed, 5.25 speakers just too small for doof-doof, and they play louder/clearer if you arent trying to make them play lower frequencies.

But back OT - I looked at a car with rough idle, it had 'lumpy cams.' sure....

Fully agree!

Yep sorry Si-me too,at least as far as the e30 goes.

The 540-well its cool anyway.

Do like the e36 on tm atm with an m3 oil filler cap-That would definitely swing it for me lol.

Edited by 1rotty

Some meathead that I bought an E class Merc from told me that the stiff (read:f**ked) accelerator peddle was meant to be like that because Germans like to go on the Autobahn and the peddle get's stuck there for cruising.

Some meathead that I bought an E class Merc from told me that the stiff (read:f**ked) accelerator peddle was meant to be like that because Germans like to go on the Autobahn and the peddle get's stuck there for cruising.

I'm guessing he was either dropped at birth or his dad touched his funny places.

Also have to agree on the stereo, just finished putting some very good quality rainbow component speakers in my touring in the factory locations and with the factory grills, looks stock but sounds amazing! Looking also to get a custom sub box made to hide it away. But then again i do love my music.

Bah, (wanks on about audiophile crap) Kickpanel speakers. Meh, it's not like fabric grey doorcards are exactly rare if I ever decide to get sick of them.

If it was a rare car... like.. a 540is.. I would probably just put nice speakers in the factory location... hide the amp ect.

One guy trying to sell me a 325i said (when I questioned him about the 2500rpm idle) that "they all do that when they're cold" As it was an automatic, it would make for an interesting driving display trying to select gear and discreetly reverse out of the garage in the morning...

On another occasion I was questioning a car dealer about the worn out leather on the steering wheel on a Subaru Legacy - he said that "yeah, all the Jap import cars have that - those Asians have funny sweat"

Haha.

I have had a dealer spin and mount a curb demonstrating how to drive a Toyota MR2, he blamed it on the groomer for using to much silicon on the tyres.

If it's a pre-f/l sw20, that IS how you drive it!

Yep, was a Pre/FL Turbo with Speedline Ferrari wheels I vividly remember because I seriously shat my pants, he spun going uphill in the middle of Auckland.

Simon will be happy to know my Sony/BMW tape deck was just dropped of the railway over bridge in Papakura, I offered it to a homeless guy first and not even he wanted it. A sexy Pioneer with CD/MP3/IPod Control/ Bluetooth hands free and a whole host of modern features will be filling its place, in fact I think that head deck has more tech in it than an entire early nineties BMW and is superior to the unit found in brand new base three series.

If I was buying a car and it had listed that it had I-Pod Connectivity and control with built in and hidden Bluetooth hands free I would find it a lot more appealing than a tape deck that does not go.. that’s just me.

Guest Simon*

If it can do all that and look like in belongs in the car then I would have to admit that I'm impressed. Otherwise it sounds like a nasty piece of bling and out of place in a refined German autocar