Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Wanting a project car!

After seeing so many mint 30's and 28's on here i'm now thinking of getting something to plod around on, what i'm wondering is if one of these...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-287241490.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-286052073.htm

Could be a good donor car for me too sink my s50.

i'm wanting to spend no more than about 3k and even then the missus will be pissed about more "rubbish" at home lol

Any suggestions?

If your looking to do something major (like an s50 swap) then I'd advise that you get a really mint shell etc.

The first one looks nice. But as Hybrid has found out, there is little info on doing a pre f/l s50 swap, although he's all but done it now.

Who does the second car belong too?

...Bimmersport sticker....

If your looking to do something major (like an s50 swap) then I'd advise that you get a really mint shell etc

If you wanna keep the donnor car under 3k for the car, +1 on mint shell. Dont get fooled by NZ new, they rust just the same, and the cost to fix it just piles on.

Imo you should start with a coupe, not much point in e30 back seats anyway :rolleyes: Always perplexes me when people do major stuff on 4 door e30s.

Who does the second car belong too?

...Bimmersport sticker....

E30 bandit.

Yeah i definitely want to find a mint shell. Maybe a coupe f/l version might be easier for me later on though i do like the look of the 4 doors.

Nothing wrong with 4 doors if its a daily, id get pissed off not being able put stuff in the rear with a fuss, not to mention if you have to carry more than 1 person.

+ 1

There are stacks of hot 4 doors around.

+ another on 4 doors. Would get annoyed with 2 door real fast.

First one looks good condtion, dont think youd be able to sell the engine for much to offset cost though. is a pfl swap really THAT different to fl though? would always start with a stock standard car for a swap though unless you know the car from stock.. less chance of someone mucking around and it being trashed etc

When you do the S50 swap... can I watch? :D

+1 on mint shell...

Edited by antil33t

When you do the S50 swap... can I watch?

Yeah no worries! Will be a while away though, still need a donor car plus prepping and of course $$$ :angry:

You have the main cost for the s50 out of the road. just warning you getting the brakes and headers to fit require lots of hidden costs. The more OEM gear you have the better. Also the more you can do yourself the better! :) There are many solutions to the problems you will face with it.

If you have most of everything such as EWS/computer and key, radiator, clutch/flywheel setup and gearbox it wont be so bad. Engine mounts use e28 m5 ones.

As suggested before, get the mintest body / kit you can and the body version (mtech1 or 2 ) you can. I would go for a facelift car as you dont have to do as much around the wiring and fuel pump side of things.

You will not regret this conversion .. the power in an e30 is incredible.

Awesome!!! I have most of the electrics and drivetrain for the s50, will need to source some bigger brakes but will worry about that later down the track.

I should be able to do alot of the work but may have to get friendly with a mechanic and auto sparky lol

I was looking at this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=287892055 looks a tidy example but i'm not 100% it is actually M-Spec like they are claiming...asked if they could take it into Jeff Gray for a once over(at my cost) but will wait and see if they reply.

Do you have any pics of the engine bay?

That 318i is about as m-spec as my spachula

Yep, she just emailed that it has "m-spec bits" still a tidy example though...might be cheeky and offer her 3k

I think she'd be stoked getting that much for a 318i.

Hell I'd be stoked if I got 2/3rds that much for my 325i!

Tidy body though

It's a standard 318 with a tech1 steering wheel, nothing else, and not worth more than $2000 if you were to ask me, but there are some suckers out there, so you never know.

It's a standard 318 with a tech1 steering wheel, nothing else, and not worth more than $2000 if you were to ask me, but there are some suckers out there, so you never know.

I agree, I paid 2k for my car, with less kms. Now it's worth about 2k still after a few thousand spent on it... Whoops.

Trouble is. Down here to find decent examples of most cars you pay a premium, as there is little car yard competition etc. I may have to look further north...but am flat out with work at the mo so was hoping to find something locally that i don't need to muck around freighting or driving several hours to collect.

Yeah, I know... Trying to find anything, even a cheap shitter is almost impossible....

I was just lucky the guy was about to get reamed by the bank.