Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Some mid-build shots

Non-rusty brake calipers.

I believe you mean the discs, and they rust pretty quick when the car ain't moving. If your car is still broken, go look at your ones!

fixed.

seriously though ... put it on bottle caps it will look better, like a bit of a sleeper .... when it actually goes

Have some wheels on the way that are a lot better than caps lol

I believe you mean the discs, and they rust pretty quick when the car ain't moving. If your car is still broken, go look at your ones!

Sure do!

Red Tails > Black Tinted

post-2618-1273543126.jpg

^^^ +9001

How the hell did I f**k that one up... Fail.

Yeah mine are rusty too I think.

Edited by antil33t

I thought it did go? Didn't you complete your total tally for complete job? Not complete if it doesn't start/go backwards and forwards.

I thought it did go? Didn't you complete your total tally for complete job? Not complete if it doesn't start/go backwards and forwards.

Are you psychic Greg ? thats next years thread

Aren't you the older and wiser one around here?

Lighten up Glenn, instead of dishing stick out whenever you see fit. :unsure:

Haha must be.

I think you'll find he is the wiser one.

Looks good dude. Be mint once you get it going, make sure you take it to the right sort of people to fix it.

Take your time. Don't feel rushed by others ^

Peace

Edited by Mash

Dont play with fire.... :unsure:

Not yet. Thats why it says MID build. Have been keeping a talley.. and its a lot less than i expected so far.

Yeah it is getting about time to get over that i think... though ill continue to get it untill "next year" till i finish it no doubt.

Looks good dude. Be mint once you get it going, make sure you take it to the right sort of people to fix it.

Take your time. Don't feel rushed by others ^

Peace

Thanks! i know what i still have to do, and so far all the pretty much all the suggestions made were already on the cards :) Good to know my tastes are the similar to everone else' on here! Im not rushed to get this done, and ill enjoy it when it is.

This post has been edited by *Glenn*: Today, 05:47 AM

This post has been edited by *Glenn*: Today, 05:48 AM

I found these amusing , Can dish the critisim (sp) out , but cant take it

+1

This post has been edited by *Glenn*: Today, 05:47 AM

This post has been edited by *Glenn*: Today, 05:48 AM

I found these amusing , Can dish the critisim (sp) out , but cant take it

+1

I edited those unecessary posts to prevent what is probably now going to happen. Another mod will probably close this thread. The OP's opening thread stated : Comments & Criticism welcome and he's now getting them from forum members.

My first comment was : Comments & Criticism welcome

What would you like us to say ?

Should we say thats a great example of a really nice E30 ? I don't think so, it needs alot of work which has been indicated by other members.

My second comment was : Being able to drive it down the road would be a good start... the rest might follow... I'd be more keen on getting it to move by itself first... how is that going ?

I can't see that being the wrong thing to say. The OP has now focused on how it looks and suspension mods. I'd be more focused on getting the car running first, then look at these other mods

My third comment was: Are you psychic Greg ? thats next years thread

Again pointing at the OP's focus on doing other mods on his car instead of focusing on getting it going.

Now the thread has focused on me by some of you. Thats fine, your entitled to your say, but that has absolutely got nothing to do with the original topic. I'm entitled to my opinion as well. If you don't like it, thats fine too. I held back from saying what I was thinking....others haven't.

My first thread should really have said :

Sorry Andrew it's not a good example of a tidy E30 BMW

Panel & paint needs alot of work

I don't like the wheels

The stance is all wrong

The engine bay is a mess, especially your wiring loom which could be attributable to your car not starting

Why don't you focus on getting it going first ?

Would I be wrong in stating the above ? I think not. This is a BMW forum that is primarily focused on nice cars and some great projects that are going on. If you ask for criticism in here... you are going to get it. If you ask for help, you might get that too.

The forum is also a great place to get help from people who actually know and have done alot of these mods to their own or others cars. There maybe a very good reason that this help may not be forth coming from people with this experience.

Anyway... back on topic. Andrew has asked for comments & criticism about his car.

To be honest, I would struggle to post anything overly positive about the car. It looks like a normal run of the mill car with 20+ years of wear and tear on it.

I guess the most positive thing I can say is that I've seen worse. It certainly wouldn't make me look twice if it passed me on the street (when and if it eventually can move under its own steam)

I edited those unecessary posts to prevent what is probably now going to happen. Another mod will probably close this thread. The OP's opening thread stated : Comments & Criticism welcome and he's now getting them from forum members.

My first comment was : Comments & Criticism welcome

What would you like us to say ?

Should we say thats a great example of a really nice E30 ? I don't think so, it needs alot of work which has been indicated by other members.

My second comment was : Being able to drive it down the road would be a good start... the rest might follow... I'd be more keen on getting it to move by itself first... how is that going ?

I can't see that being the wrong thing to say. The OP has now focused on how it looks and suspension mods. I'd be more focused on getting the car running first, then look at these other mods

My third comment was: Are you psychic Greg ? thats next years thread

Again pointing at the OP's focus on doing other mods on his car instead of focusing on getting it going.

Now the thread has focused on me by some of you. Thats fine, your entitled to your say, but that has absolutely got nothing to do with the original topic. I'm entitled to my opinion as well. If you don't like it, thats fine too. I held back from saying what I was thinking....others haven't.

My first thread should really have said :

Sorry Andrew it's not a good example of a tidy E30 BMW

Panel & paint needs alot of work

I don't like the wheels

The stance is all wrong

The engine bay is a mess, especially your wiring loom which could be attributable to your car not starting

Why don't you focus on getting it going first ?

Would I be wrong in stating the above ? I think not. This is a BMW forum that is primarily focused on nice cars and some great projects that are going on. If you ask for criticism in here... you are going to get it. If you ask for help, you might get that too.

The forum is also a great place to get help from people who actually know and have done alot of these mods to their own or others cars. There maybe a very good reason that this help may not be forth coming from people with this experience.

Anyway... back on topic. Andrew has asked for comments & criticism about his car.

That is fair enough Glenn, but the way you originally posted the comments could quite easily be portrayed as being snarky, or rude. He was indeed asking for opinion on how the car looks, not snide remarks on wether or not it happens to be going or not.

I don't know you, but have the utmost respect for your work, and the help you provide to those on the forums. It is indeed invaluable, however the way your comments towards anyone not quite in line with your philosophies always come across as rude and arrogant i find quite annoying. Perhaps it is not intentional, but either way I think it detracts from the forum, and threads like these, where instantly the poster feels attacked.

What you say your first post should have said would've been perfect, up front and honest without so much hidden cheek and rudeness, apart from the last two lines. Ask yourself, is that really necessary? His thread is indeed about how the car LOOKS, hence it being in the SHOWROOM forum, so perhaps leave him and his engine woes be for a bit (I honestly can't believe I'm standing up for him either, but someone has to).

As for how the car looks, I would have to agree. It does look in fairly average condition, but I can see it has potential. With the right wheels, a set of red tails, and a general tidy up of the panels and paintwork it could easily become a very hot E30.

Cheers,

Paul

looking at your car OP are you glad you did it now? hindsight is a wonderfull thing if you are glad and still enthusiastic about your project it is irrelevant what others think. On the other hand if you regret it spent heaps wrecked a nearly classic car and still have miles to go both in time and money then I guess thats that also.

Over to you to tell us really.

As for how the car looks, I would have to agree. It does look in fairly average condition, but I can see it has potential. With the right wheels, a set of red tails, and a general tidy up of the panels and paintwork it could easily become a very hot E30.

To be fair, most cars could look "hot" with a general tidy up of the panels and paintwork and the right wheels. The fact is that the subject car is little more than a project as it stands. We can all agree that the subject car has potential, but more often than not the potential is never realized because of a lack of funds or lack of motivation. A quick look through TM will reveal all too many unfinished projects which were beyond their owners due to the scope of work required or the expense involved.

I find it easier to get excited about an active project progressively taking shape, even if it's over a longer period of time. Otherwise I'm just looking at a memorial of broken dreams . . .

Absolutely agree 100% with what huff3r said. Glenn, i would far preferred to read your second post. a post with implied meaning, or a post that adds nothing to the discussion at hand, is a useless post. Once in a while is fine, but lately every single thread you have been doing it in and im really getting annoyed with it. This is WHY we had the rant a few months ago. You know you know your sh*t about BMWs, and you know its more than most on this forum will ever know. But your good as useless when a sly remark is the responce instead of a break down of how to help. When i can help on a situation, i wont hesitate to. Very rarely will you see me make a post whore type comment, and, when i do, its on a thread where the tone of it is clearly not a serious one. You dont seem to post this way

Please dont get the impression from this thread that i have lost interest in getting the engine going. Suspension is just as important as the engine in an engine repower.. if the car cannot handle the increase in power, you are going to get killed. As the car sits now its on blown shocks, shitty Jamex superlows in the back, and, the only good thing, the M325i's in the front. No sway bars or anything. Once i get this going, do you want me to just go for a drive and loose control of the car? I know i will be tempted to "use" the engine.. its got almost twice the power of the outgoing engine, so being able to control that power IS important. You can tell me that in your repower projects you did not touch the suspension correct?

As for the looks, it was really just a point of interest. I havent put any photos of the car up for a long time so i decided to put them up. I KNOW the car looks like a POS at the moment. I say it all the time in person too, Oli Nathan and Anthony will all vouch for that no doubt. I know where i have to work on, and the vast majority of whats been said is already in the pipeline. Primairly I asked for comments and critisms to show the canvas from my car, and to maybe get new ideas for the car. Maybe someone some other mod thats not often done but have seen done on a tech2 schwarz that they think would look good on my car. As ive said, pretty much everything thats been pointed out so far is going to be attendend to at some point anyway.

Hope this sums it up for you Glenn

I see where you are coming from but if I had blown shocks I'd be replacing them regardless of m52 or m20b20, they're still just as shagged no matter what engine is in the car.

I see where you are coming from but if I had blown shocks I'd be replacing them regardless of m52 or m20b20, they're still just as shagged no matter what engine is in the car.

oh yeah of course thats always the intention! but i knew i was going to 51mm struts so was waiting to get them. Regardless of the engine conversion now or in 6 months id be doing the suspension now anyway in preperation for that. The engine swap just came 6 months forward in my plans thats all

And is it really safe to add another 50+hp and another 100+nm of torques on stock half-stuffed suspension?

And is it really safe to add another 50+hp and another 100+nm of torques on stock half-stuffed suspension?

Hes not? hes replacing the old blown shocks with new ones when he gets his 51mm struts so it will be ready when the engine is running and drivable.

Keep perservering Andy. Just like Mainland cheese........... Good things take time :lol:

If it was me I would be prioritising what needs to be done.

eg 1 get it running

2 sort out the suspension

3 wheels

etc etc etc

I am sure you wil get it all done and dusted and running mint, sometimes however it is easier to take something to the experts to get it done properly even though it may cost more in the short run. At least you have the peace of mind of knowing that it has been done properly and professionally.

I look forward to (eventually :P ) seeing the finished product

^ thats the priority list!

wheels and suspension come under the same category mainly because my FWD rims dont fit 52mm struts without spacers, which theres no point me buying.

Off topic, but i cant be bothered finding my build thread: Will be picking up a new starter motor tomorrow and installing it if the weather clears up. If not ill go pick up some supplies and make a start on having a go at reconditioning my new wheels :) Also my battery has been on charge and my friends dads shop the last two days and will be tested in the morning to see if its still okay.

will also PM you Jono about tyre options later tonight