Sign in to follow this  
master garion

Spun out in my E36

Hey ppl

I'm new to bimmers and RWD. Today, I spun out in my 323i E36. I was gently accelerating, turning right at an intersection. Just as I clear the intersection, i suddenly lose the rear and do a clockwise spin. Partially mounted the raised median and ended up facing the direction I came from. It was wet today but surely that's not supposed to happen especially at such low speeds? Drove home like a nana cos I've lost all my confidence in the car.

A mate reckons there could be diesel on the ground from all the trucks nearby but I dunno. Do i need better tyres? Is there something wrong with the car? Doesn't the car have traction control to prevent this from happening?

Btw, my tyres are Firestone Guardians with good tread.

Thanks

Edited by master garion

Roads were very slippery today, first decent rain for a while brings all the oil and diesel up to the top. Just need to be careful for a while till it all washes away.

how old are your tires? my tail kicked out in the wet in a similar scenario to yours, and i've only got a m40b16.

how old are your tires? my tail kicked out in the wet in a similar scenario to yours, and i've only got a m40b16.

about 3 years old

about 3 years old

and what type brand etc .

but yes will be greasy on the roads

Ha... i did too, turning right on to quay street

But im used to driving the big beast and managed to drift and control it and bring it back straight...

Got a few looks.. especially from the people in the car to my right :-)

Ha... i did too, turning right on to quay street

But im used to driving the big beast and managed to drift and control it and bring it back straight...

Got a few looks.. especially from the people in the car to my right :-)

the intersection with the shell and foodtown? that's where it happened to me! but i didn't have the skills to correct :(

this happens to me quite frequently. especially in the wet.... havent found a fix for it yet... ;)

not the mounting curb part so much though...

Edited by e30li

Used to get a wheel going in the wet all the time in the 325i when trying not to, lsd pretty much eliminated that.

I found driving with an open diff far more dangerous than a LSD. E30's make it worse because they are so light in the rear.

Had one scary moment 360'ing at the entry to the motorway in the rain, always far more careful now.

Mines a bit scary in the wet with the crappy Ducaro GA's and really short ratios.

Spun it out the day I fitted the B25.

^you kept that quiet.... yes totally agree with the lsd= safe comment.. found this out with a e30 m52...

yeah i can see how you could have done that..... i love that corner..... esp at about 80 in 3rd

Days like these, I'm reminded of how composed the e34 really is when it breaks traction. Fun cars

really? i would imagen the e34 to be a bit like drifting a bus.... just going by how they look... never driven one.

e34s are definatly the drift kings lol me and my dad had a good old time on they way home today lol

really? i would imagen the e34 to be a bit like drifting a bus.... just going by how they look... never driven one.

e 34s have massive rear end grip

(with lsd and good 235 tyres)

Edited by kiwi535

watch the Stig holding a pit maneouver performed by Jeremy on Top Gear. It really demonstrates the e34's control.

5:30 onwards

watch the Stig holding a pit maneouver performed by Jeremy on Top Gear. It really demonstrates the e34's control.

5:30 onwards

Thats an E32.. E34's are even better ;)

was about this time three years ago i crashed my E30 too. combination of just put on to Restricted, just got my first RWD, outside school where all my mates were, and oily road.

another agreement to LSD = safe. car feels tenfold more more confident cornering since i put that in

My e39 540i with 255's is very reserved when it comes to lost traction, the traction control kills anything before it happens, a little too premature on a motorway onramp, but for a blast arround in the rain its hella reasurring. Give it 3/4 throttle in second out of an intersection in the wet and bam traction control gotcha, instant loss of power.

I was driving a friends V8 Soarer up south road... in the rain... TCL kept going on and off and it feels horrrrrible.

I had a soarer v8 and had the same problem! Apparantly there is nothing you can do to fix this...i always had to crawl up the road in the wet as it was prone to wanting to lose the rear on the angled hill corners.