Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

E28 M5, why no love in NZ?

As most of us would have seen, a E28 M5 has been for sale on TM for more than likely over a year now:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-290355688.htm

It got me thinking, why does it seem that New Zealand shows no love for the E28 M5? They seem to have a cult following in Europe and the US but no love here.

Also if the ad in the above link is correct, NZ only has 2 E28 M5's of the 187 RHD E28 M5's built.

So, how come the E28 M5 isnt as highly regarded in NZ as say the E34 and the E39 M5's?

I would put it down to speed. I don't want something that is better off sitting in the garage to gain value. I would rather have a usable everyday E39.

Do they sell for 17,500 USD??? Might answer your question.

That fellow wanted near $40k for it originally.

Lovely car, but as Graham says, IMHO about $8000 overpriced going on overseas prices.

Would seriously look at this if it was quite a bit cheaper, I :wub: E28s.

Lovely car, but as Graham says, IMHO about $8000 overpriced going on overseas prices.

Would seriously look at this if it was quite a bit cheaper, I :wub: E28s.

It even has a towbar, and I :wub: towbars

As most of us would have seen, a E28 M5 has been for sale on TM for more than likely over a year now:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-290355688.htm

It got me thinking, why does it seem that New Zealand shows no love for the E28 M5? They seem to have a cult following in Europe and the US but no love here.

Also if the ad in the above link is correct, NZ only has 2 E28 M5's of the 187 RHD E28 M5's built.

So, how come the E28 M5 isnt as highly regarded in NZ as say the E34 and the E39 M5's?

Hey man,

I have been thinking about adding a post about this car for awhile.

Th bottom line is this - yes they are rare in rhd (187 for the rhd market, excluding 96 for the Sth African market (CKD I think) and that lends itself to keeping values up. Yes it was the first of the iconic M5's and has its place in M power history.

Even with 4 of them in NZ ( 2 NZN, the other 2 imports, including this Sth African example by way of Japan), I think they struggle to sell at international levels because they are misunderstood in this country and probably doesn't have the optical appeal to command much demand.

Unlike it's sibling, the E24 M635csi that has a following because of its looks; these are simply not that pretty, and do look old. I have driven one of these, and I actually think they are marginally quicker than the M635csi because they are lighter (echoed by my friend who owned this particular car who owned a M635 prior to the E28 M5).

This car has been for sale on and off for 5 years and was originally marketed for $35k. It has had a complete respray and has its suspension replaced. Probably needs a timing chain though. It is a good example though with the body kit that most of the UK cars lacked

In Australia, these go for about what this guy wants - mid to high $20's. The E34 M5's over there go for around $20k (even though they got around 70 3.6's delivered to OZ).

In this country, I don't people can justify spending big money on an old-looking sedan when there are so many other choices. Besides, it will be probably serve as a weekend toy, and there alot of people who would probably spend that amount of money on a classic sports car or GT.

Just my thoughts....in NZ one can get a HSV or Falcon that is newer that could probably (in some people's eyes )provide more kudos......

Shame......

I'd love it. Nothing beats the thrill of driving an old(er) car. Maybe a little overpriced... but maybe not that unresonable?

This raises an interesting point I feel as David, Silver fox pointed out it may only have a value of $8000 or their about. Then why do the sellers of m5's or M3's no matter the model want such ridiculous price's for them.

This raises an interesting point I feel as David, Silver fox pointed out it may only have a value of $8000 or their about. Then why do the sellers of m5's or M3's no matter the model want such ridiculous price's for them.

Allan, Think you will find Dave was referring to asking price (whatever that was) was approx $8000 over it's value, not a value of $8000. Agree though that some people think their M cars are worth more than they are.

Old story though - market decides

Allan, Think you will find Dave was referring to asking price (whatever that was) was approx $8000 over it's value, not a value of $8000. Agree though that some people think their M cars are worth more than they are.

Old story though - market decides

Good point. However though, at $26k for the last year , it is definitely off the mark. Worth $18k?

If it was a NZN car with FSH, it would have to be worth more......

Trouble is that E24 and E34 M5 and M6' are only fetching 16 to 18k, so it doesn't justify more than that I don't think.

The M5 e28 car is simply an unknown in NZ, I agree with that notion.

Not all M5 e28 cars are the same or equal. They have 2 different engines in them for a start, the M88 and S38 options. They were hand built to special order and so the list goes on. Depending on the spec, the valuations vary.

When unsolicited valuations are being pronounced upon this M5 that is being referenced, it is a bit like saying a 3.0csl is worth X dollars, a Batmobile is a csl, therefore they are worth the same. I reckon the M5 e28 being advertised is an absolute steal!

As to it's true worth, use the Jeremy Clarkson test. "Which car would Kristan Scott-Thomas prefer to climb into for a night out at the Royal Albert, the HSV or the M5"?

Same can be said for the E24 and E34 M cars, and this one, as it's a SA one, only has the M88 engine.

Good, keep this discussion up as this is a bit of a sore point with me. But in the end as David mentioned the market will set the price or what ever someone is willing to pay for it in the end. Does anyone still have the add as it seems to have finished?.

^^Here

Honestly, I can't see the appeal of one. I would rather have a E34 540is like Boris' or an E34 M5 for that matter and for that kind of money.

I appreciate them a lot for what they are BUT I can't see the high appeal of owning one.

My 2 cents

If i ever decided to buy an m car the choice for me was an e34 m5 or an e28 m or e39 m5 5.there is no choice for me between the e28 and e34.The E28 just looks so OLD compared to the E34,esp interior.And say bruces old e34 is even cheaper.

Then i would have to decide between the e34 and e39,but i figure thats another discussion

^ Pretty much the same for me.

While i quite like a good E28 the E34 just better looking imo. The E34 for me is the best balance between modern and classic bmw look, has great interior and enough features without getting carried away, as well as pricing as others have mentioned.

Trouble is that E24 and E34 M5 and M6' are only fetching 16 to 18k, so it doesn't justify more than that I don't think.

You make a good point. However, one think you have to note is this. All the E34's for sale in NZ generally tend to have high mileage which may inhibit their marketability...I could be wrong but I wonder what a NZN E34 M5 would go for in NZ in great condition with say 130kms on the clock? Would that indeed be a $20k plus car?

As for the E24's you will see that the ones that have been languishing on t/me for sub $20k are ex Japan LHD vehicles or EX UK vehicles with spotty provenance. The last NZN vehicle M6 that sold here (albeit with 92 kms) and special history sold for around $40k and most NZN examples in good nick have traditionally gone for $25k plus (and they never hang around on t/me for eternity).

I personally think this E28 deserves to be sold for what the vendor wants. I have been in it, and know a previous owner very well and he sold it for $35k around 4 years ago.

Weird that the market seems to see it differently- and it has been for sale at $26k for a log time.

^ Pretty much the same for me.

While i quite like a good E28 the E34 just better looking imo. The E34 for me is the best balance between modern and classic bmw look, has great interior and enough features without getting carried away, as well as pricing as others have mentioned.

I concur - in my world the E34 is the prettiest of them all. I love the exterior / interior design. Very proportionate.

You make a good point. However, one think you have to note is this. All the E34's for sale in NZ generally tend to have high mileage which may inhibit their marketability...I could be wrong but I wonder what a NZN E34 M5 would go for in NZ in great condition with say 130kms on the clock? Would that indeed be a $20k plus car?

As for the E24's you will see that the ones that have been languishing on t/me for sub $20k are ex Japan LHD vehicles or EX UK vehicles with spotty provenance. The last NZN vehicle M6 that sold here (albeit with 92 kms) and special history sold for around $40k and most NZN examples in good nick have traditionally gone for $25k plus (and they never hang around on t/me for eternity).

I personally think this E28 deserves to be sold for what the vendor wants. I have been in it, and know a previous owner very well and he sold it for $35k around 4 years ago.

Weird that the market seems to see it differently- and it has been for sale at $26k for a log time.

you are missing the point....look at the original question,most replies are answering that question,you just dont like the answers

you are missing the point....look at the original question,most replies are answering that question,you just dont like the answers

hi Paul, its cool, I was just identifying why I think this car has been struggling to be sold here - in my opinion they are a slightly enigmatic car and not appreciated for what they are...

I think we all know why the E39 and E34 have such a following...

All I think I was trying to do was express my opinion on why this car hasn't sold.....and why they don't have the same love.....I also think the NZ market is slightly different to overseas...

I felt passionate about responding to the question because I know that car quite well...

Sorry if you felt I was off tangent, wasn't my intention. Just love talking about some of the cars that hold some interest to me.....

hi Paul, its cool, I was just identifying why I think this car has been struggling to be sold here - in my opinion they are a slightly enigmatic car and not appreciated for what they are...

I think we all know why the E39 and E34 have such a following...

All I think I was trying to do was express my opinion on why this car hasn't sold.....and why they don't have the same love.....I also think the NZ market is slightly different to overseas...

I felt passionate about responding to the question because I know that car quite well...

Sorry if you felt I was off tangent, wasn't my intention. Just love talking about some of the cars that hold some interest to me.....

not at all!I think our discussions here express our desire for the brand.I cant say you are wrong.For such a rare car you are probably dead right.But its just not for me is all!

Whats better than a hand built M car? Alpina thats whats better, handbuilt style from the engine/interior/exterior etc.

Have posted this car before, would pay double the price of that M5 anyday.

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/photo/B10.../saloon/5537/08

That is a neat car!