Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

My Basic BBS RS Resto

Probably a bit of a waste of money but at 95$ shipped they were too good to pass up with a reduced shipping price due to buying another set for a member.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest Simon*

Wooo it's going to be dangerously fast with those on now mate!!!!

To be fair, on the racetrack a lot of traffic will be in front of you, so your flash new notoriously-hard-to-see-out-of DTM mirrors will just be for looks anyhow

:D

^ Lol. Oh well might save half a second a lap instead of having those medicine cabinet sized mirrors and housings hanging off the car :lol: +10hp

I thought your idea was not to have any medicine cabinets at all, hah.

I'm going to wait for a good shot of the whole car before making a decision on these...

Until someone else rebuilds a set themselves then they will see why I painted them a safe color in the end. The labour spent taking them all apart by hand and the prep for paint then the paint (waiting 24 hours between etch prime, surface prime, base then clear x 4) then refitting makes it seem silly if you don't like the color 100% which I didn't. I would've just thrown them away if I didn't, wouldn't bother taking them apart again so for me, it was a too bigger risk to take.

Sorry to disappoint everyone.

BMW Sepang Bronze was my other choice but the examples I have seen it came out either really brown or really gold.

Brams your rims look excellent mate, well done on doing all this yourself.

You'll find that the lips will be a bit duller with the clear coat on them, even taking the clear off makes them look pretty well polished - ask Phil75 he stripped the clear off and they looked pretty bling! Only downside is you need to polish them every now and again to keep them looking nice if you don't have a clear coat on them. What are you going to do with the nuts? I'm going to polish mine by hand, have just stripped clear off them and am picking up a polishing wheel later in the week. I haven't read the whole thread so don't know what colour your car is, but gold nuts look great on black centres (depending on your car). Look forward to seeing them all together!

^ Cheers mate.

Whilst I would love a set of perfect rims, I am far more interested in the function over form aspect, though I like a tidy looking car (to a point) ;)

The two wheels in the pics that I have completed I just soaked the bolts and nuts in diet coke and cleaned them up with some dishwashing liquid and they are clean enough for me, I could polish them with a dremel if I was fussy, the main reason I cleaned them was to get rid of the old thread lock and silicone...which worked well.

The nuts are slightly gold/silver just the factory BBS color, but they give the black a little bit of a kick which works good.

Oh and this will jog your memory lol ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Brams

^ I hate them, they are f**king dangerous in a ultra stiff car with a LSD, even more so in the wet. Now that I have urethane everything underneath I have no flex left.

Wing mirrors kinda looks like a cat trying to be a ninja with its ears down in the front on shot :P

Seriously though looks good bro, can't wait to see the wheels on and everything finished - looks wise anyway :lol:

EDIT: Sense, I make none.

Edited by Blackie

^ Cheers dude, just be glad I didn't carbon wrap them like I was going to...along with my sunroof :rolleyes:

Havn't seen any cats rolling around with Alpina fronts for a while.... :lol:

Edited by Brams

Guest Simon*

Havn't seen any cats rolling around with Alpina fronts for a while.... :lol:

Oh I dunno, looks quite Samurai-pizza-cat! :D

Are you really rocking steelies on one side and bottlecaps on the other?

^ Yeah what fag ay, along with mismatched profiles and widths, I like living on the edge, I am not really driving it at the moment, just waiting till I sort these wheels and tyres out.

Turns out having the bolts re-plated would cost more than getting new bolts and nuts.

Jed: Give these guys a ring. Did an amazing job re-chroming my motorbike stanchions.

Pole Electroplating & Paintstrippers‎

80 Mowbray Street

Phillipstown 8023

(03) 366 0183

Turns out having the bolts re-plated would cost more than getting new bolts and nuts.

I have polished my original bolts, took me 5 hours for 120 bolts and they're still not perfect yet but only cost me a tube of Autosol and my time! Will post pics soon.

I have polished my original bolts, took me 5 hours for 120 bolts and they're still not perfect yet but only cost me a tube of Autosol and my time! Will post pics soon.

That would be great as I don't want these old bolts going to waste. Also any polishing/cleaning tips for them would be appreciated.

Here are some crappy cellphone pics (can take better ones if you like but all you see is shiny bolts).

I painted some paint stripper on the bolts to get the clear coat off, then used autosol and a big old bench mounted polishing wheel from one of the VW boys and polished each bolt. I still need to use a dremell to go over each one again, but from 1m away they look perfect as is.

If you're super anal like me you'll want original bbs bolts with "BBS" scripted on, new bolts don't say BBS :lol: OCD perhaps? If anyone is going to throw their old bolts away send them to me!!! I was missing 30 bolts but managed to find some - thanks to APT!

All up to get them 100% mint i'm thinking it will be around 8-9 hours work for 120 bolts.

Sorry to dump this all in your thread Brams!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by VeeDub

^ No worries dude, it is all knowledge.

I actually finished my set today, throwing my semi slicks on them tomorrow and I will take a few final pics, they ain't no show ponies but they will do, function over form ;)

Will be honest it isn't a job I would do again in a hurry :P

Edited by Brams

^ No worries dude, it is all knowledge.

I actually finished my set today, throwing my semi slicks on them tomorrow and I will take a few final pics.

Tis a bitch of a job but rewarding to see the end result. What did you use to seal yours up?

i can think of a few of those... look forward to seeing finished results.

^^ Some decent RTV silicone from Repco, hi temp wank wank stuff, just praying to god they seal tomorrow at the tyre shop or I will cry. Could be some heavily discounted 4 x 100 RS001's for sale tomorrow hahaha.

Edited by Brams

^ Some decent RTV silicone from Repco, hi temp wank wank stuff, just praying to god they seal tomorrow at the tyre shop or I will cry. Could be some heavily discounted 4 x 100 RS001's for sale tomorrow hahaha.

guess ill just sit here patiently waiting lol..

Nah GL dude hope it all goes well..