Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

My Basic BBS RS Resto

Do TV on one side and gold on the other so if you change your mind you can just turn the car around :D

^ Haha comedian.

I have split all four wheels, I am just busy writing a spiel on the way I found easiest to split them up.

I found a metal hammer the easiest way, but then I wasn't reusing the lips :P

I now have four wheels totally split up.

Here is my best method to tackle it with some associated pics, obviously there are a few shortcuts to what I did, but I was trying to minimize extra costs.

1. Spray with penetrate spray before hand on all bolts and nuts both side. Take a 8mm 12pt ring spanner on the front bolt, a 10mm 12pt socket with ratchet attached, undo and push the bolts out (you may need a hammer and nail punch), repeat 30 times per wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Take the tyre valve out. A 14mm spanner on the front of the valve, a big flat head screwdriver on the rear to hold it in place, undo and push out, a couple of mine were so loose, no wonder the tyres were leaking air <_< Be careful you don't damage the seal, they are about $40 each to replace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. Mark the three bits of the wheel so you can put it back in essentially the same place so it is easier to re-balance. Also label the wheel so you don't get them all mixed up.

Posted Image

4. Next, tackle taking the front lip off. You will see a small bead of silicone on the wheel, cut this off and cut a little into the wheel with a stanley knife/razor blade. Then get a heat gun (mine is heat adjustable, so I found 350deg worked great, run it around the siliconed area you just cut into. Get your chosen BFH and wack the sh*t behind the lip and it should crack off after a few hits on opposing sides of the wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. For the center piece removal, repeat the above steps but don't hit it with a hammer put a blanket/towel on the ground then a old tyre, put the wheel face down then wack it with a big block of wood right in the middle near the wheel bolt holes and eventually it will crack loose, watch out for splinters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5. You will now have your wheels in 3 bits, repeat this four times and then get ready for prep and paint.

Posted Image

That's all for now :)

Here's my way of doing it:

Step 1: Take wheels to shop

Step 2: Hand over blank cheque

Step 3: New wheels!

Admire your dedication Nath... I don't trust myself to not f**k it up.

Good stuff :)

3. Mark the three bits of the wheel so you can put it back in essentially the same place so it is easier to re-balance. Also label the wheel so you don't get them all mixed up.

Suggest you do this with something that will survive the painting or polishing precedures to come.

nice job so far , they are going to look sweeeet

Do you have to use the valves that came with the wheels? new valves are throw-away consumable items at most tyre shops. The place I go puts new ones in for free every time I get new tyres.

^ Um I don't think so. But these metal BBS ones are baller B)

+1 I have the Baller BBS valves too.

Never mind those huge black ugly ones :P

Spent the afternoon cleaning one wheel and removing all old gasket sealant. Taking my time with this stage because the wheels are worthless if they don't seal properly, miles well throw them away.

Used a scotch brite pad with some brake cleaner and a hose for general cleaning, then turps and a scraper to remove all the gasket sealant, finishing off by preparing all sealed surfaces by scuffing them up with 150grit sandpaper to give a nice key for the gasket sealant to stick to when I seal them together.

Now starting to sand the centers to prep for primer.

Pics to come when I have done all four.

if you root up the valve stems, Harley Davidson has replacement stems that supposedly fit (cheaper than $40 a pop as well)

Edited by gouba

^ Good to know.

Got all four wheels stripped and de-gasketed. Start sanding the centers tomorrow for primer if I get time before uni, aiming to have these clearcoated this time next week then mounted on the car before the weekend.

In other news I am allowed to bring my E30 home and out of storage for the first time in 3 months. Can't wait.

dude you change your mind so many times I think you should just send the wheels back to me :lol:

^ Wouldn't you be inclined to change your mind if you decided to paint yours purple originally then realised how much work and time is spent dissassembling and reassembling? :P and the fact I am not doing it again in a hurry haha. Now I see why most people pay others to do this haha.

Clearly my threads are becoming an excuse for all you to rip the sh*t outta me, I'm kinda over it, why should I bother sharing my knowledge?

Edited by Brams

Guest Simon*

Nath when you've finished your writeup and stuff let me know and I'll cleanse your thread of all the posts you want out

In the meantime here's some more nice bright TV for ya ;)

Posted Image

Clearly my threads are becoming an excuse for all you to rip the sh*t outta me, I'm kinda over it, why should I bother sharing my knowledge?

Take no notice of them mate. Paint them whatever colour ya like, they arn't their rims and i can understand you want to make sure 'bout the colour. Do it once and do it right.

Take no notice of them mate. Paint them whatever colour ya like, they arn't their rims and i can understand you want to make sure 'bout the colour. Do it once and do it right.

+1 Nathan

Nathan it looks like you have the fat (normal) valves that can be bought for a few dollars, these are what my thin valves look like, they have a smaller hole. I found when getting new lips from germany that they come with the narrow valve holes that cant fit normal valves this can be corrected by getting a bigger hole drilled.

My RS033's have narrow valves but my RS001's and RS003's have the same valves you got.

Smaller valve

Posted Image

With valve cap

Posted Image

Dude, chill out, I thought you of all people would have realised it was a tongue in cheek comment. It was just a bit of friendly natured banter :D

As other pople have said do what ever you want but just make sure you do it once and do it right. :)

purple all the way imo.

+1, good on ya for giving it a go yourself

Made some non related wheel progress today.

Finished painting the F/L genuine Alpina rear wing in Tech1 wing style with a Platanengrun Metallic insert. Pics to come when the paint dries.

Winner winner chicken dinner. God it is hard to get a good finish in a freezing garage and it's 6deg outside.

Not perfect but perfect enough for me, the perfectionist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image