Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

My Basic BBS RS Resto

After reading a few of these on mainly VW forums and also seeing the other end of the scale for the people that can afford to take them to Arrow Wheels or similar for a refurb and repaint, I figured I would throw my hat in the ring and do a basic rebuild, repaint and refit on a sensible budget. People that know me will know I love to prove people wrong and do things myself, I hate paying people to do work on something as worthless as a old E30 and it's associated parts ;)

Will document the short saga with pictures and necessary tools used and a few tricks I have learn't in research ^_^

Basic premise is to reuse the original lips as I can't go wider according to my cert plate, reuse the bolts (according to recommended torque settings) and repaint the centers then fit some new tyres.

Tyres are being taken off tomorrow and off to the paint shop to get my chosen color up.

Will keep this updated.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Brams

Awesome, I would've done mine myself but needed them done in a hurry.

What colour you thinking of?

All will be revealed tomorrow.

In other words, I am being my indecisive self and can't choose, there are too many options and considering a few other changes are happening at the same time, a whole box of spanners are being thrown into the works :lol:

Will probably flip a coin at the paint shop :P

I vote Gold for the centres....! Would look tits on your car!

^ It is overdone though, plus half of bimmersport are painting theirs gold anyway, I like being different!

I vote flip the centers and weld on some massive M3 style guards, proper race car ;D

It can easily be done on a budget if you don't mind a bit of elbow grease and a few blisters, and is very rewarding. I did mine for easily less then $200 dollars and that included getting kerbage removed on all four wheels ( I recomend Brugers on the Nth Shore for this)

From this:

Posted Image

To this:

Posted Image

Have fun !

^ Those a very nice mate, I thought I would go overboard on a set of the proper sized (16's) when I get my E30 M3 one day ;) instead of these piddly ones.

Edited by Brams

I vote for fire engine red!

I'll be paying close attention to this, I want to rebuild two of my rims (1.5 inch lip to a 3 inch lip)

It will certainly be cheaper your way, good on you. I'm much to lazy and lack the required skill set.

I think i'll need to allow ~150-200 per wheel for what your doing.

Also, I have disassembled bits in my lounge, will send photos shortly if you want.

I have just ordered the paint, pick it up in a couple hours.

Preparing my flame suit as we speak :ph34r:

Nah mate, One of us needed to have the balls to do what ever your gonna do. Just make sure the colour contrasts well with your car colour at it will look amazing.

Preparing my flame suit as we speak :ph34r:

Thats what i like to hear! Better be a colour we discussed yesterday!

Nah mate, One of us needed to have the balls to do what ever your gonna do. Just make sure the colour contrasts well with your car colour at it will look amazing.

+1

Cheers Josh and Blair. Let's say if you look at a color wheel, it is nearly on the opposite side, so it should contrast well. Oh and Blair I think it is ;)

Going to do my DTM mirrors the same color.

Edited by Brams

Mandatory sh*t wheel pic

Posted Image

God Tony's Tyre Service are useless f**kers, only took a couple of the balance weights off, not all of them. Does anyone know if race wheels need to be balanced? Once these are done my R888's are going on these.

The color is somewhere in here :lol:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=24369

What useless paint shop are you using?

Should have rung me ;)

^ Cheers James.

Lol Ashkan, it's just a one hour round trip there and back.

I has the paint.

Firstly, here are a few things I have collected for the rebuild. I think I have everything apart from the urethane sealant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(massive thanks to Mark247 for letting me borrow this, hopefully they are done before you get back to NZ :rolleyes: )

and...

Posted Image

Might start undoing 120 bolts now :mellow:

Progress to follow ^_^

What are you doing about cleaning your bolts? Is that what the Coke's for?

Techno Violet????!!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaa?????!!!!!

Guest Simon*

f**kING WOOHOO MUDDAFUGGAS!!! TECHNOVIOLET FOR TEH ************* WIN!!!!!!1!11!!

Sorry about that Nath ;) Just got a bit excited :D

According to a few build threads, the carbonation in the diet coke cleans the sh*t off the bolts. Amazing to think what it does to your teeth. Will leave them to soak for 24 hours in the coke.

Yeah they are a crazy color since my race tyres are going on these/who else in NZ has technoviolet RS's? I saw a white M3 in a UK BMW mag with Technoviolet RS's on it and it looked gorgeous. Should look good with my light green metallic car.

Lol I knew you would be happy Simon B)

Edited by Brams