Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

My Basic BBS RS Resto

Cheers guys for all the nice comments. Hope I won't regret this :rolleyes:

Sorted a brass sleeve for my shifter along with a brand new rear shifter arm mount off pelican parts. Also picked up some OEM wiring tape from jono51 to tidy some wiring up.

In the process of sorting some harder engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

After that I just need to rip the stereo out (can't hear it anyway over the exhaust with no sound deadening) then make a splitter up for the Alpina bumper and cover the rear seat in some fabric since the rear seat isn't go back in then hopefully finish these wheels next week and we are all set for the Taupo track day basically.

Can't wait.

^ Havn't done it yet mate, but previously I have used Autosol polish and a non scratch scotch brite pad and some elbox grease and patience.

If I had big enough cajones I would sand the clear coat off and sand paper then polish but I don't want to take that big of a risk, the clear coat is pretty decent at the moment anyway.

When you're polishing the rims do you get black stuff coming off?

If so, then they are not clear coated.

Be a bit surprised if they are.

^ Maybe your right :mellow: they have never really been polished properly since I have had them. I just assumed they were clear coated.

Edited by Brams

Guest Simon*

^^ Just cleaned up the barrels with brake cleaner, still have to polish the lips too. End of the day it is a race (ish) car not a show car ;)

Looks good man!! Impressed

Here is a last few pics for now since I am probably raping everyone's bandwidth with a color comparison between the dark purple and the green, need to borrow my sisters SLR camera to get some decent pics with color pop.

mmmmmmmmm sister

:P

Kewl. You could paint RS centres any colour and they will still look tits.

2 wheels done, they are staying gloss black.

Will remind me a lot of this car in it's earlier incarnation:

post-3292-1281271804.jpg

Just did a AKG motorsport order for some engine and gearbox mounts, hopefully here within a week.

DTM mirrors have been paid for, hopefully arrive in a week or so, as long as they get here before the Taupo track day I don't mind.

More pics of badass sh*t to come.

Edited by Brams

How did you get on with cleaning the nuts and bolts? I tried the coke and a few other things and they're certainly cleaner than before but it looks as tho cleaning each individual one by hand :wacko: might be the only way to get them right.

How did you get on with cleaning the nuts and bolts? I tried the coke and a few other things and they're certainly cleaner than before but it looks as tho cleaning each individual one by hand :wacko: might be the only way to get them right.

You can always check out the local electroplater and get them anodised either gold or silver. Its not expensive. I used to do this when rebuilding "special" engines. Get all the brackets, nuts and bolts done. Looked sh*t hot.

Wheels are looking good Nathan :D

Havn't tried anything yet, will try coke. I am tempted to try some POR15 metal parts cleaner/degreaser that my Dad used while building his Fraser, according to him it burns through fabric :blink: but will be careful to see if it is not too corrosive. Might use a toothbrush as well to help.

Oh and Glenn, I will get some new pics today, looks improved with the new color :ph34r:

At least with the black they'll have a good resale, I mean who in their right mind would go for homax purple? :rolleyes:

/\ Haha

Black looks good, it's been proven. ;)

At least with the black they'll have a good resale, I mean who in their right mind would go for homax purple? :rolleyes:

Haha I agree Dave, I call it a social experiment anyway.

Plus one day when I grow up and the trend fizzles out painting RS's silly color's won't be the 'in thing' anymore :rolleyes: and it is not like I am doing this again anytime soon.

It is alright Simon, you can't see what color they are when your behind me on the track.

Thanks Glenn, will give a few places a try.

Nath, you have much more patience than I and i'm sure these wheels will be a credit to you what ever colour they end up. Looking good man.

You can always check out the local electroplater and get them anodised either gold or silver. Its not expensive. I used to do this when rebuilding "special" engines. Get all the brackets, nuts and bolts done. Looked sh*t hot.

Wheels are looking good Nathan :D

Jed: Give these guys a ring. Did an amazing job re-chroming my motorbike stanchions.

Pole Electroplating & Paintstrippers‎

80 Mowbray Street

Phillipstown 8023

(03) 366 0183

Sickness, just need a shot of clear and I can button two of em up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Soaking the bolts now Jed, will let you know if I have any more success.

Also, my lips are clear coated from factory, little cut and polish along with some wax and they look sweet as the pictures show.

Guest Simon*

Talking without any form of bias here, I think doing black centres is a boring copout my young friend.

I'm not saying TV was the right colour, but at least it was a colour! Gunmetal grey, bronze (NOT Gold), hell even red would have been more interesting mate.

I'm sure the black will look fine, but they ain't gonna be supermegabadass I'm sorry :)

Until someone else rebuilds a set themselves then they will see why I painted them a safe color in the end. The labour spent taking them all apart by hand and the prep for paint then the paint (waiting 24 hours between etch prime, surface prime, base then clear x 4) then refitting makes it seem silly if you don't like the color 100% which I didn't. I would've just thrown them away if I didn't, wouldn't bother taking them apart again so for me, it was a too bigger risk to take.

Sorry to disappoint everyone.

BMW Sepang Bronze was my other choice but the examples I have seen it came out either really brown or really gold.

Edited by Brams