Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

WOF guy said that just removing the belt is not WOFable... Because if you had a crash or something and they discovered your power steering was disconnected then they go after the WOF guy for giving a WOF to a power steering car when it didn't work. Not sure if i said that right but im sure glenn will elaborate that.

Im thinking just put the power steering back on for everyday stuff and disconnect for racing?

Yep technically is non WOF able but the guy I use here for Wof's on mine has been into motor racing/ building/complying/scruteneering race cars for years. He made me aware but also turned a blind eye - due to being realistic of the cars intended use.

Moral of story - don't crash on the road or plead ignorance - must have broken beforehand - bummer ;)

But yes - you could (if you can be bothered) take it off for race day

Rained in =( Can't do crap in my cramped garage =( so instead I did this =) Little bit of motivation etc

post-5250-1292471688.jpg

Few questions, Everyone elses E30 Projects I've seen has had them at some stage rip out all the suspension etc and pretty much make it look shiny. Just one question about this. How do I do this and what do I need for it.

I know I need bushes but I don't really want to buy a lot of them as I have f all money but is this hard and anyone wanna help =)

Just an example of what im talking about here with Ashkans photos from his thread.

post-5250-1292472036.jpg

No point in doing this unless you're going to do the bushes Jack, a waste of time and energy.

Starting to really look good man. Big ups for sticking at it, plenty wouldn't have faced with the same circumstances

Don't drop the subframe unless you have the set of 6 braided brake lines and at least the Subframe bushings - in 75D of course. Then paint at your will.

You know you want it:

Posted Image

Measure twice and cut once, do the job once and do it right, just be patient, if you start cutting corners etc it will just cost more $ and time in the long run, building race cars isn't supposed to be easy (or cheap).

Edited by Brams

Painting is nice and makes you feel good when you have stuff off the car... If you don't need to remove it don't bother just to paint it...

Unless you put the car on your roof, no one is going to see it - unless your #14...

Your disc's are worrying me... Are you buying vented discs (see my post above) or are you getting non-vented disc's machines to have vents????

^I would say he is getting his stock (vented or unvented) rotors slotted. There was a guy on here offering the service a while ago, can't remember who though.

As said above, dont bother painting it, if I were to do it again I wouldn't waste my time... unless you acid dip them or sand the f**k out of them and give them a proper prep, they just flake and look like sh*t after a few hundred k's.

Also, don't pull the subframe out until you have the bushes and brake lines, other wise you'll be doing it twice.

Christmas has come early =)

( minus the tires =D )

post-5250-1292723936.jpg

Apart from that all coming along well. You can see the brakes I have are vented so I don't need new calipers, and I have lots of pad left =)

You can also admire my home made axle stands =D

post-5250-1292723951.jpg

post-5250-1292724021.jpg

post-5250-1292724038.jpg

post-5250-1292724049.jpg

post-5250-1292724063.jpg

Lol @ axle stands. I wouldn't trust them (at least not going under it).

If those are road pads they won't last long, so make sure you check them **at** the track.

Looks great Jack, I look forward to seeing it in the new year.

Keep up the good work

LOL I have a set of axle stands you can borrow.

Edited by Blackie

aren't the borbet reps 15x8?

they're not reps.... they're 15X7J

Thanks Blackie, got some coming at Xmas so the wood is doing good for now. X5 jack is at the front and trolley jack is there too. Wood is only holding the back end up.

Edited by Gotheschu

you know to never ever ever trust a jack... i've seen 3 trolly jacks fail.

haha thanks.

I can't put the wheels on cause they have ashkan's tires on them so im praying the jack will hold for awhile. haha

that MAY be the problem you are having Andy, especially if the rotors and pads are new-ish and have the full thickness on them.

yeah they are mint pads. but even the old ones were sh*t and it did it with no meat on the pads. fitted new calipers (that were indentical) and they did the same thing. ill look into that, wont pollute jacks thread :)

Edit: and definately dont go under the car with wood axle stands. had my 316i nearly fall on me doing the same thing. saw the car starting to slip and shimmyed out before it fell. had no engine or interior in it mind (was almost totally stripped out, was dismantaling the suspension) but the scare was there and lesson was learnt

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

+1 cars arnt a good thing to get stuck under when they fall, (ask me how i know)

Im not going under it. Its only sitting on them until I have some tires on my new wheels =D.

Ashkan's got the bottlecaps for his one to sit on.

EDIT: How do you know Oli?

If you had said that you were going to put the car on ghetto blocks I would have just given you the caps. I have axle stands also... should have asked mate.

If you had said that you were going to put the car on ghetto blocks I would have just given you the caps. I have axle stands also... should have asked mate.

haha. Ill have some tires on the borbels soon hopefully. whats really funny is i looked today and the rear corner left where the blocks are has no weight on it hahahaha

haha. Ill have some tires on the borbels soon hopefully. whats really funny is i looked today and the rear corner left where the blocks are has no weight on it hahahaha

Thats the lovely hallmark of a stiff, caged E30 chassis :D. I can jack mine up and get 3 wheels off the ground from one corner :lol:

Big thanks for Ashkan for the tires and Jonno and his guys for fitting/balancing them for me =) Car is almost ready for track day, got road tires on for now, but they should last some slow track driving =)

But its looking awesome with some more go fast stickers!!!! can't wait to get out there!!!!!!

post-5250-1292909836.jpg

post-5250-1292909844.jpg

post-5250-1292909853.jpg

Edited by Gotheschu

Looks good, did you paint the door mouldings?

Looks good, did you paint the door mouldings?

nah wasn't me.