Sign in to follow this  
AN E30 Fan

New Drinking age proposal

I personally don't think the law changes will have any effect on the ones causing the problems and the ones who are responsible get penalised for it.

As always the majority that pays for what the minorities do. Laws always target minorities.

I must be very ignorant and naive because, yes I am, because I really fail to see how drinking is a problem, it looks to e the straight and boring people who have the problems.

i think its the violence thats the main problem. i swear every other week theres some kid stabbing another. happened to a kid at my school in 2007. party out of control, some idiot stabbed and killed him in one go. died on scene. the guy got away with minimum 10 years. Link to nzherald . just because it hasnt happened to somebody you know , doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Edited by zinnoberrotE30

I must be very ignorant and naive because, yes I am, because I really fail to see how drinking is a problem, it looks to e the straight and boring people who have the problems.

I may be alone but I did and still do really enjoy catching up with mates, drinking way too much and having fun.

Banning RTD’s won’t do sh*t, the guys will drink beer or buy a bottle of cheap whisky (and pass out) and the girls will just down some cheap bubbly crap.

You are reading this incorrectly, or looking at it from the wrong angle.

No one anywhere has said that drinking is a problem. The issue is drinking responsibly.

Drinking respnsibly requires a certain level of maturity, a level that a lot of under 20 year olds don't possess.

Edited by Grant

Having seen and dealt with the after effects of drunken teens I say raise the f**ken age to 30 before you can legally buy alcohol ...

And those that disagree can bite me .... you'll feel the same way if you had to sweep up 100+ smashed bottles and deal with the damage trail every single f**ken week. NZ teens just don't know when to stop drinking ...

Just out of interest as well... Everyone whos been commenting... how much do you drink? how often? and where?

And I had friends die in a car accidents, should we ban cars for under 21 year old too?

Im guessing the neanderthalic testosterone driven muppet that killed someone at party was fuelled by a little more than alcohol, as easy as it is to blame it on one substance.

And I had friends die in a car accidents, should we ban cars for under 21 year old too?

Im guessing the neanderthalic testosterone driven muppet that killed someone at party was fuelled by a little more than alcohol, as easy as it is to blame it on one substance.

Which is why the other substances that they may or may not have been under the influence of are illegal.

R.I.P Augustine Borrell

His death was a result of him standing up for his mates when a fight erupted at a party. A very unfortunate tragedy.

maybe about 2-3 beers a day, usually at home. might stop off at the pub occasionaly and share a jug with a mate. thats about it tho

Which is why the other substances that they may or may not have been under the influence of are illegal.

There are plenty of other substances around that are legal and will turn you into a "neanderthalic testosterone driven muppet" a lot more so then many that are illegal

R.I.P Augustine Borrell

His death was a result of him standing up for his mates when a fight erupted at a party. A very unfortunate tragedy.

hardout. saddest funeral ive ever been too.

Hard stuff is more expensive than rtd's...meaning more $$ = less availability to the really young.

When I lived in Aus the tax went up on RTDs and instead of buying RTDs the girls I knew pitched in and got bottles of "top shelf"

Mixing skills were crap and in the end larger quanitites of higher % drinks were thrown back.

Mixing skills were crap and in the end larger quanitites of higher % drinks were thrown back.

Which is exactly what we used to do before RTDs were introduced.

Exactly my point.

Raising the price on or banning RTD's is a crap idea

been drinking since the age of 14, riasing the age isnt going to change a thing... I'm more gutted that there banning 8% drinks rip wild moses and woodys lol

Obviously those 20+ will be for the change and those under 20 against the change.

I agree with you completely Glenn. Education is very good, although not the end of the problems. I was brought up being offered a beer at my dads on weekends (the time I see him), looking back I can't recall more than 5 times I had one over the years.

I'm 18 on Friday. On Friday I'll be buying liquor, both in town and in a store, mainly just cause but I won't be getting wasted. Its a right I've earn't over the years I feel by being mature etc. I understand not all teens can say that.

Its the usual minority ruins it for the majority story. I first hand experience what some people are like at house parties weekly. If you turn up without booze then an 18+ y/o goes and buys it for you. Theres no way of stopping teenagers from getting alcohol full stop.

Under 18's getting alcohol is alright under supervision but when they bring a bottle to school and pass out on a bus then that's not the drinking age's fault. Its like any substance, anybody can get anything if they know where to go.

I drink, all teenagers do, but I know when to stop. I see a couple of my friends pass out etc and they're the few who weren't brought up as Glenn said. I see drinking to much as antisocial behaviour and IMO thats the mindset all teenagers need. Although some people think its 'badass' to get so wasted that you can't remember anything in the morning and they're never going to change and I fully believe that.

Although some people think its 'badass' to get so wasted that you can't remember anything in the morning and they're never going to change and I fully believe that.

Bingo. We were talking about this the other day at work and it has become socially acceptable in the younger crowd to go out, get wasted and then brag about how f*cked up you got on Monday.

What’s new. I was doing that when I was younger, as was my dad and his mates and his dad… only difference is as you get older you stop bragging about it.

I know pople in quite interesting positions in lfe that drink like a fish, if you want an example of this head to a wine festival or a swanky dinner party.

Yep, New Zealand's issue with booze is that it has become the norm to get trashed and then brag about how drunk you got, and all the stupid sh*t you did while drunk. It's not just a youth problem either, I work with people ranging in age from 20 - 60 and they all have stories to share on Monday morning. (Not saying I'm a saint, I do too!)

The problem is I'm not sure how to change that mentality, and right now neither does the Government. Smoking is gradually seen as becoming less and less "cool", perhaps a similar campaign against alcohol will yield a result? That's why the big topic of conversation in my industry at the moment (advertising) is when they will start to look at banning alcohol advertising like they did with cigarettes. It will be a major blow to our industry, but considering that all alcohol ads do is glamourise drinking then perhaps it is a good idea... "out of sight, out of mind"??

Edited by _Mark_

I'm drinking now. I am drinking a New Belgium Hoptober Golden Ale. It is very good!

It is 105 degrees here today, so the beer is hitting the spot

That's the spirit.

Some people have a few quite drinks.

Some people drink with the sole intention of getting smashed. They don't go out and 'suddenly' they're drunk as they didn't realise how much alcohol was in their drink.

For some people, where they be teens or middle age, its what they enjoy doing. It's a mind set. It's peer pressure. It's the norm. It's a 'culture.'

I'm not sure how to address the problem, but identifying the problem is key.

The issue isn't limited to teens who tend to bear the brunt of the attention. As the statistics say 70% of 'problem' drinkers are over 25. Now where do you think teens learn it from?

However being young(21) I first hand see 'binge' drinking on a regular basis and would be considered a part of the problem trying to be addressed. Raising the age, although I agree with it, isn't going to stop underage people getting alcohol. As i've got older, I do it less, but will continue to do it on occasion.

That's the spirit.

IC what you did there! Pun's make my life worth living.